• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Posts 1st Photo of Scarlett Johansson as the Major

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Given the track record of everything that precedes this movie, It will likely be forgotten in a month especially with the laughing man story. Seriously, the source material couldn't cover the laughing man in an hour what makes you think Hollywood has a chance in hell?

Infodump the movie starring S. Johanson.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:37 am Reply with quote
Damn Johansson certainly does look great as the Major which I believe will fit her like a skin tight suit. Wink
Martin G.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:

Same issue for Edge of Tomorrow, which was decent but not as good as the source.

It was even better. Hope the same will happen to the GitS-film.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Well it was a supernatural update of an old movie with Keanu Reeves no one really was looking for.

It's also costed a lot. In fact, Universal lost an estimated 152 million dollars on this flick. I can't blame people for being cautious after flops like that.
reanimator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:14 am Reply with quote
This is another example of Hollywood constantly trying to adapt to changing generational demographic. Now that anime & manga are pretty much common among youth in general, they have to appeal to their taste and likes. it's all business.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
Koda89 wrote:
It would be one thing if ScarJo was like the only white person in the cast, then they could totally get away with playing the her body is completely synthetic card to handwave away the fact that they have a white actress playing a Japanese character
but do we even know she is playing a Japanese character. Obviously her character is based on Kusanagi, but has it officially been confirmed the movie will use that name?

I also remain skeptical about this movie being good, but I hate the mentality that adaptations have to strictly adhere to the original source. Besides maybe the dry,robotic GiTS dialogue will be suited to ScarJo's dry,robotic acting Laughing
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:18 am Reply with quote
Nice Tea wrote:

Same issue for Edge of Tomorrow, which was decent but not as good as the source.

It doesn't have to be as good as the source. It just has to be good.

And there's really no one-true GitS - the different iterations are each their own interpretation.

Koda89 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Let's give this a bit more of a chance until more info comes along - who knows, this could be the next Oldboy. Now if you excuse me, I have to look for Captain America Civil War spoilers.

You say Oldboy as if the Western remake is a good thing. Laughing

The Korean version is also a remake, and consensus is it's a good thing.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Make no mistake--I like Scarlett Johanssen and I'm sure she's a good actress. However, I feel that she just isn't right for the persona of an Asian character like Motoko Kusanagi.

She doesn't act Asian much. Without the name (which could be not her birth name), people wouldn't even know.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Then again, what do I know? To Hollywood, maximizing profits matters more to them than diversity and producing good films, let alone live-action film adaptations of anime shows that actually respect the original work.

They can definitely cast Asian leads, but save for Jackie Chan or Jet Li, you would then have to live with a Ghost in the Shell film with a $10 million budget. Rinko Kikuchi don't put butts on seats yet.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:36 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
The Korean version is also a remake, and consensus is it's a good thing.

I don't think there's Japanese adaptation of the manga, so, strictly speaking, Korean adaptation is the first one. Besides, Spike Lee definitely made a remake of Korean film (cough *incest twist* cough), unfortunately it wasn't more pure adaptation of manga.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:09 am Reply with quote
@enurtsol SAC is the one part of GitS where a Japanese setting and world view are 100% essential (more so in seasons 2). They can take out the character of Motoko entirely for all i care, as she serves no role in the Laughing Man plot, but forgoing the setting invalidates the whole point of the original narrative. Going for a film structure is also highly questionable. It´s even a 3D feature Rolling Eyes .
The film could work on paper if they change the whole story as in the mentioned Edge of Tomorrow or Oldboy 2003. Edge of Tomorrow was actually done by a bunch of no-names but it wasn´t build on a foundation of utter cynicism as GitS 2017, so all is riding on the trailers / the RT score for me.

While were are talking about pointless remakes. I recent watched RoboCop 2014. It was utterly OK and one of the "better" such offering...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SageModeKakarot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:06 am Reply with quote
all these people moaning about the casting in the Ghost in the Shell movie are being a bit closed minded don't you think?

i mean after all what they are basically saying that only a Japanese film company should adapt a Japanese IP and to me that sounds a bit xenophobic

lets look at the reverse side shall we what if a Japanese film company was to make an Iron Man movie or a Batman movie both american characters would these same people complain when they cast Japanese actors in the role?, would they be demanding American actors portray the characters?

and they have made adaptations of American and British properties in the past and no one complained so just seems a bit lop sided to me why should it be good for one and not the other?

and isn't the whole point of an adaptation to make your own version of it?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Is anyone else struggling to even have an opinion on this? whether it is bad or good, I can't seem to muster any interest, maybe it's because of of how long this has been going on for.It may end up like Kite, where it doesn't get a backlash like Dragon Ball, but no one has any interest in it.

That is actually where I'm at with it, and I think you've found figured out the reason. I might have an opinion later on if I see a trailer or something, but right now it's too hard for me to care one way or the other when it amounts to rehashing the same things we've known about this movie for quite some time.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:00 pm Reply with quote
I am kind of bothered they haven't announced her character's actual name 'Motoko Kusanagi', and instead just refer to her as 'The Major'. I don't want this to be one of those situations where they try to localize names and locations. It just ruins it for me when they change small details like that in the name of mainstream appeal, while singing praises about its international acclaim. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Welp, I just found something that is indeed worse than the whitewashing in the film: that they were seriously considering CGI Yellowface.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/oh-no-ghost-in-the-shell-considered-using-cgi-to-make-1771222939

Yeah, this whole project can burn in Hell. One of intense Buddhist ones at that.

Last edited by AiddonValentine on Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
MajorZero wrote:

You can make direct panel-to-panel adaptation and it still will be crap. Just ask Zack Snyder. There's no requirement for adaptation to be a complete copy of original work, it's a sign of creative impotence.

But if what the movie makers wanted to do is shelve out a "cyber punk thriller" there is no need to "adapt" a Japanese franchise work.

Not making a panel for panel adaptation doesn't mean they're just shelving this out. They haven't even made big changes. GitS was not about the ups and downs of an Asian women living in Japan. It wasn't. If you missed all of the philosophy, action, and sci-fi and walked away thinking it was like the coming of age story of a young Japanese woman trying to find her place in Japanese society like some quirky indie movie or something... to each their own.

Prior to this, I just don't remember GitS fans being like, "I really love that she's Asian. Outside of that though, there's no redeeming values to the franchise. Everything else doesn't really matter."

I wish I could find these posts now to backup the she isn't Asian, which abandons everything the series is about

It's not even set in a world where you see her interacting with people that have an attitude like I'm only doing this because you're an Asian woman. I don't know how this became the only relevant aspect of the series
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Are survey-related replies supposed to go into this thread?

I voted "boycott" but it needed an "I wasn't all that interested to begin with and probably wasn't going to see it anyway regardless of any controversy over the ethnicities of the actors" choice, which is closest to my actual position.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10