• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Manga Artists Prefer To Stay Anonymous?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
kazenoyume wrote:
One of my favorite stories involves Hidekaz Himaruya, creator of Hetalia. This past winter he made an appearance at comiket and released a PC game. To hide his identity, he brought several people to staff the table with him and when someone asked which one Himaruya was, they'd ALL say they were Himaruya. An entire table of Himaruyas, and there's no way to know which one is the genuine article. Laughing

That sounds absolutely brilliant, and I'm surprised I hadn't heard of such a schtick prior.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:21 am Reply with quote
I definitely understand and respect the desire for privacy, but that can make it hard to follow the work of somebody that I like.

I really enjoyed Maniac Road and Pretty Maniacs by Shinsuke Kurihashi. I would like to read more of his work but I cannot find any indication that he has done anything in the last 12 years.
I do not know if he quit manga or changed names.

He is one of those who drew himself as a silly cartoon character in the manga notes, of which there were many.
He really liked to talk about his work and his hobbies, including the fact that he was also writing doujinshi, but it seemed like he was being careful to not reveal anything that would identify him. Even when he talked about getting married he kept it very general.
I wonder now if maybe he thought that he had given away too much and decided to use a different name so that anything more that he said would not be connected to the previous information.

I may never know.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
animalia555

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:25 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
animalia555 wrote:
For a western example of why someone might not want their name published, or why they might regret doing so:
George R.R. Martin got tons of letters from fans who were/are afraid that he'd die before finishing A Song Of Ice And Fire (ala Robert Jordan) to the point where he got fed up with it and posted a video of him flipping them off.
On a more professional note Imagine having every work you create judged not by its own merits but by the merits of what you did before. Apparently J.K. Rowling still publishes new works sometime. But she publishes them under a pseudonym to prevent them from being compared with Harry Potter against which they would undoubtedly fall short.

This, this, A THOUSAND TIMES this!
I feel like we've become so entitled to creators' identities in the West and obsessed with judging the person, rather than a work itself.
I personally hate the fact that as I have grown older I can recognize actresses and actors. I liked it better when I identified them as a character first and foremost.
lys

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I really enjoyed Maniac Road and Pretty Maniacs by Shinsuke Kurihashi. I would like to read more of his work but I cannot find any indication that he has done anything in the last 12 years.
I do not know if he quit manga or changed names.

I just googled his name and got a list of series he's published, at what I consider a pretty well-known or comprehensive site in English for cataloguing manga titles/creators/magazines/publishers/etc. (It doesn't host scanlations but links to them so I'm not naming it here to be safe). The most recent one on his author page (begun in 2008) is listed as ongoing. So that much can be learned without needing to know any Japanese.

From there I looked up that recent title on Amazon JP: it has 3 volumes released so far, last was in 2013. Each book is 10 chapters (according to Amazon JP preview's table of contents); the series runs in a magazine that publishes 4 times a year so it would take 2+ years to have enough for a book. The website for the magazine lists the latest issue as the 40th, so if the series has been running since the beginning, there may be another volume of the series to be collected soon. Hope that is helpful (his latest stuff isn't published in English, so it might not do you much good to know anyway, but still).
Touma

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:10 am Reply with quote
Thank you lys.

I did Google "Shinsuke Kurihashi" but I ignored that first result because I thought that it was a scanlation site.

It is good to know that he is still creating, even if I do not get to read it.
There is still a slight chance that somebody might license his newer work here. I can hope.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I had a thought: I know the Japanese media does not hound celebrities the way they do in the United States (I wonder what they think of organizations like TMZ and The National Enquirer, the former of which goes to great lengths to dig up information and the latter of which outright makes things up), but is there some way people can do their own investigation and discover such information about these artists? Like following a paper trail or something?

I know that's considered the height of disrespectfulness, but there must have been at least a few Streisand-type incidents before, especially considering fans can get quite loony and social media can cause some people to lose their inhibitions.
mbanu

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:29 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
the popularity of someone else's manga went down after the manga-ka was photographed at another autograph session.

I think you're on to something. Maybe it's related to why ugly voice actors aren't very common? For some reason it seems like Japanese fans assume that if a beautiful voice comes out of a beautiful character, it should also come out of a beautiful person. For American voice actors at least, it's not an issue -- it's not like the popularity of Leela from Futurama dived when fans realized she's voiced by old Peggy Bundy. There isn't the expectation in the States that voice actors be pretty; this is one of the reason a lot of older film and TV actors gravitate to voice acting after their "on camera" time seems to be fading. (I wonder if it's because early famous voice actors in the States were ugly old guys like Mel Blanc or Clarence Nash?) So maybe in Japan it's the case where fans also assume that manga-ka should be as pretty as the characters they draw?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:39 am Reply with quote
mbanu wrote:
So maybe in Japan it's the case where fans also assume that manga-ka should be as pretty as the characters they draw?

Possibly. But I've noticed that cartoonists more often than not actually do have a resemblance to their works, in the way that people sometimes look like their pets. Smile

Check out early Peter Parker and compare him to young Steve Ditko, or Bruce Wayne and young Bob Kane (those cheekbones!). Or Naoki Urasawa's guys. Tell me he doesn't bear a resemblance to Tenma or the adult Kenji in 20th C. Boys. Certainly more than Inio Asano looks like them. He looks more like his own characters (the ones without bird heads at least). I'm not saying they're drawing themselves, at least not consciously, but that their own face is the one they're most familiar with when they're developing their skills and style.

But warts-and-all, they're usually not quite as appealing as their idealized art (well, Urasawa is... >.>).
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Fenrin wrote:
Pardon my bluntness but this seems like a rather stupid question that doesn't warrant much discussion. Basically: people want to keep their private lives private and Japan has a culture of anonymity. Also, with the development of the internet of course they're going to have to be stricter if they want to control their image.

That's not exactly it. Many Japanese people don't see being a mangaka as being a real job and may often look down on people who aspire to be one rather than holding a "proper" job like being a salaryman. This is the reason explained here. In the west one might say to their parents that they want to draw comics and get encouragement whereas in Japan one may likely get a responce like "don't be ridiculous". It's not about wanting privacy but more about shame or embarrassment. Most times being a mangaka is worthy of praise is when you're incredibly successful but this is rare. This is my understanding of things.

Ironically I learned a lot from Bakuman.
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Re:SOUL wrote:

But we're talking about people who have already been part of the profession for awhile and received some sort of acclaim from fans. It isn't necessary to hide yourself for the sake of shame, as the only people who are likely to recognize you are your fans, and as others have said before, they don't step out of their workstation often anyways to be recognized. Although I can understand if their work is something private that they'd rather separate from their image.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
It's understandable why lots of mangakas prefer to stay anonymous, as pointed out by the article. Manga fans can, indeed, get really extreme sometimes and will bug them non-stop for whatever reasons should their personal info get exposed. But we are also heading to the era of idols, so I guess more and more mangakas will walk the path towards stardom. I mean, check out the Prince of Tennis author's(I don't know the Roman spelling) activities throughout the years.
False Prophet

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
Talking about Masamune Shirow, here is a very old interview of him: http://www.jai2.com/MSivu.htm
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Lê Công Vũ wrote:
Talking about Masamune Shirow, here is a very old interview of him: http://www.jai2.com/MSivu.htm

Got this printed out and will read. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5