• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japanese Fans Polled on Favorite Mid-Season Spring 2016 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah, Kabaneri!
Cool to see Bungo Stray Dogs high up.

I thought My Hero Academia would be higher, it's a lot of fun with cool characters and really well directed and animated.

Somehow I'm not overly surprised to see Kiznaiver toward the middle-bottom, it's got such a great art style but even after 5 weeks no one really seems to know what to make of it in terms of where it's going or what kind of show it wanted/wants to be.

I'm another who doesn't really care about Re:Zero.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
10,000 people. 61.1% of the respondents were male; 69.5% were in their 10s and 20s.
Says it all. I bet that was the low 20's (below 25) as well. Laughing

Kabanari Of The Iron Fortress
Quote:
Plot Summary: On the island country Hinomoto, humans hide themselves in fortresses called "stations" against the threat of zombie-like beings with steel hearts known as "Kabane." Only armored locomotives known as "Hayajiro" go between the stations.
Sounds like AoT on the JNR. Laughing
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Re: Zero is getting this much attention. Normally people brush this kind of show off, although that might be because we're talking about a japonese audience aka an audience that might be more familiar with the source material which in turn may lead a lot more "hype"

Just want to say something: I have read the source material and I can honestly say that you should prepare yourself for the downright sadistic stuff that's going to happen. Well, we have about 24 eps for 7/8 volumes so it might take a while (3/4 eps at most...i think. Haven't read the ln in a while).

spoiler[If you event want to see an Higurashi x Steins;Gate x Akame Ga Kill mix... well, here you have it.] <- Don't really know if this can be considered spoilers, but just to be safe.
FlyGuySempai

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
GrueSansGirl wrote:
I'm going to have to give Kabaneri a try then. What's kinda sad is the absence of Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad. This show was arguably one of the most anticipated, and now it's nowhere to be seen because Netflix doesn't get that Anime fans aren't interested in binge watching a 26 episode season. Well, some of us are.

The latter part of your statement made no sense at all. You literally have fans who binge watched long runners such as One Piece, Bleach and that Filler anime and you're telling me that you and whoever else your talking about can't handle sitting through 26 episodes? Is the attention span that hard to control?
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 9:31 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I'm surprised Re: Zero is getting this much attention. Normally people brush this kind of show off, although that might be because we're talking about a japonese audience aka an audience that might be more familiar with the source material which in turn may lead a lot more "hype"

I think it's more just where you are hanging out. Since I've started spending time in a couple of new anime communities with a more "mainstream audience", a lot of the stuff that isn't super popular on ANN, or in more critical communities, is still insanely popular elsewhere. Re:Zero is one of those. I can hardly escape it in my Facebook news feed. Everyone thinks its the greatest thing ever. I'm just hoping that it actually is better than SAO. The first two episodes were not that impressive to me.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 2:04 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm just hoping that it actually is better than SAO.
Re Zero has little similarities with SAO. Try comparing to Stein;s Gate.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 3:19 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
I'm just hoping that it actually is better than SAO.
Re Zero has little similarities with SAO. Try comparing to Stein;s Gate.

I'm mostly just talking about the main girl's similarities to Asuna and the fantasy world setting. And the fact that it has largely captured the exact same fanbase. I'm going to catch up sometime in the next couple of weeks though. I'm not holding anything against it without actually watching the thing.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm mostly just talking about the main girl's similarities to Asuna and the fantasy world setting. And the fact that it has largely captured the exact same fanbase. I'm going to catch up sometime in the next couple of weeks though. I'm not holding anything against it without actually watching the thing.
All right, thanks for explaining. Good to know you aren't another SAO hating person. Whenever that title get brought up, it seemed would always be accompanied by hate sentences.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 1:36 pm Reply with quote
FlyGuySempai wrote:
GrueSansGirl wrote:
I'm going to have to give Kabaneri a try then. What's kinda sad is the absence of Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad. This show was arguably one of the most anticipated, and now it's nowhere to be seen because Netflix doesn't get that Anime fans aren't interested in binge watching a 26 episode season. Well, some of us are.

The latter part of your statement made no sense at all. You literally have fans who binge watched long runners such as One Piece, Bleach and that Filler anime and you're telling me that you and whoever else your talking about can't handle sitting through 26 episodes? Is the attention span that hard to control?

GrueSansGirl, Magi: The Adventures of Sinbad is airing & streaming week-by-week in Japan, so its absence from a Japanese poll means it's just not getting the attention it needs in Japan. It could be because Netflix is still new there, and not popular yet for anime fans. But it also brings up a good question: why is Netflix willing to air anime episode-by-episode in Japan, but insists on forcing everyone else to wait till its all available to binge?

I don't like binge watching shows in general. It's not about attention span as much as its about losing the sense of anticipation, community and discussion that comes from watching a show weekly, as it comes out, with the rest of the world. Releasing a show's season all at once deflates all the hype, imho.
c933103

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 1:25 am Reply with quote
Probably Netflix think if they get the exclusive license and then keep it from streaming, then no one will know the show is currently airing and thus fans would want for it just like they're waiting for any regular show that are under production.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 2:30 am Reply with quote
And Netflix is pretty much right in their assumption that the average anime fan (you know, that type that don't visit sites like this one regularly) *don't* keep track of what is currently airing in Japan and probably would rather binge a whole season at once. We're in the minority, probably. It's hard to tell, because I doubt anyone's done a formal poll or anything. At least Amazon Prime is willing and able to stream a show one episode at a time.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:19 am Reply with quote
I think it helps that apparently the Sinbad anime is just the OVAs already released but on TV this time.
c933103

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:47 am Reply with quote
But doing so would pretty much make the show being irrelevant in term of merchandise sales, as people weren't watching the show when they were releasing merchandise.

Also, doing so would make the show being irrelevant to regular anime watchers who simply follow the release schedule on websites everyday, they'll probably just skup a show if it isn't available at the day, and when the show is finally ended and they finally release the show onto their site, no one will even remember such a show have ever existed
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 6:46 am Reply with quote
killjoy_the wrote:
I think it helps that apparently the Sinbad anime is just the OVAs already released but on TV this time.

Decided to have a look into this, and you're kind of correct. And, I say kind of, because the TV series is 13 episodes, while the OVA series is 5. This is what MAL says:
Quote:
Episodes 2 through 6 of the television series are renamed versions of the OVAs. Episodes 1 and 7 through 13 will be new animation not featured in the previous OVAs.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/31741/Magi__Sinbad_no_Bouken_TV
crx07

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Did not expect Haifuri to be popular on males. Yeah, it has fanservice, but its moe and girly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4