• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Several Handshaking Events Cancelled After Idol Attack

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheRahi00

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Japan, why do you have such narrow-minded, obsessive dudes who does things like this? OMG... Hope the girl will recover, but I'll be damn realistic. 2 dozen knife stabs, neck and body... Crying or Very sad Still hopes for a miracle.

Because this totally only happens in Japan.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
The police were kinda inept:

• Tomita, who remains in hospital in a critical condition, had earlier visited a police station near her home in Musashino and asked them to stop Iwazaki from harassing her online via social networking sites such as twitter.

Although Tomita told the police Iwazaki’s name and address on May 9, the police did not contact him, saying it was necessary to confirm that the messages were actually written by him, the sources said.

Police also failed to take the case to a unit tasked with investigating stalking on the grounds that the messages did not imply an immediate threat of assault.

Learning from Tomita on Friday that she planned to appear at an idol event the following day, officers at the Musashino police station asked the police in Koganei to respond if they receive an emergency call from her. [Ah yes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure proverb.]

However, the Koganei police station did not send an officer to the idol event as they did not receive that emergency call from Tomita.

The Metropolitan Police Department is now investigating whether the local police station handled the incident appropriately.

Police have seen public outcry over their lax response to stalking cases in the past, some of which resulted in deaths of the stalking targets despite them having notified authorities.

And what of the management agency security
Unfortunately, obsessive fans are the type that the industry likes to cultivate

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon May 23, 2016 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:04 am Reply with quote
Honestly surprised this didn't happen sooner. Let's be honest, we all knew this was coming. With all that's happened lately, it was only a matter of time before someone took it this far. Hopefully this will lead to drastic retooling of idol culture.
HikaruSniper

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:07 am Reply with quote
I think this is the result of treating people as if they are an elite and the rest are the peasants that keep the elite well fed.
I LOVE Japan and big part of its culture, but if theres something I dont like at all from it, its the "Idol" thing.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:51 am Reply with quote
HikaruSniper wrote:
I think this is the result of treating people as if they are an elite and the rest are the peasants that keep the elite well fed.
I LOVE Japan and big part of its culture, but if theres something I dont like at all from it, its the "Idol" thing.

Do you seriously think this is a class issue? How about the nut job shut-ins that obsess over this culture?

Edit
And now it's making international headlines. This will end well.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon May 23, 2016 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:16 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Sincere question:
How long do you think it will be (assuming it hasn't happened already, which I think is a false assumption) before some internet/youtube personality will be shown to have similar obsessive fans (who hopefully do not attack them physically). I don't mean to "excuse" the industry/agencies, but there's plenty of people both inside AND outside of Japan who do similar things WITHOUT an actual agency (at least to start). So, while there is definitely some blame with the industry that exploits the fans that may do this, there are larger issues at play as well.
#sukkar

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:52 am Reply with quote
My understanding of the situation is that Tomita was an underground/amateur idol and thus was kind of just throwing herself out there. She wasn't affiliated with a talent agency and had no security, she was a very grass roots person, selling her tickets through her blog. very rarely headling something herself, etc.
wohdin

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
Okay Japan, NOW will you start taking mental illness more seriously?

(probably not)
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 10:55 am Reply with quote
Are people actually surprised something like this could happen? When you have a group of 'fans' who obsess over idols, seiyuu, etc to the point of sending death threats if one of 'their' celebrities is in a relationship (or if a mangaka dares suggest their 'waifu' has had intimate relations before) it isn't an enormous leap to think some of these mentally disturbed individuals could act on their twisted emotions.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Sincere question:
How long do you think it will be (assuming it hasn't happened already, which I think is a false assumption) before some internet/youtube personality will be shown to have similar obsessive fans (who hopefully do not attack them physically). I don't mean to "excuse" the industry/agencies, but there's plenty of people both inside AND outside of Japan who do similar things WITHOUT an actual agency (at least to start). So, while there is definitely some blame with the industry that exploits the fans that may do this, there are larger issues at play as well.

Stalkers and obsessive people happen for all sorts of things.

However, the way the management agencies run some of these idol groups is extra bad. I'll take AKB48 as an example because as a non-obsessive fan, I'm very familiar with stuff they do.

90%+ of AKB48 songs are about love. That wouldn't be bad on its own, but when they have the whole oshi (fan) culture built up too, people can start being obsessive. For example, AKB48 fans are encouraged to buy multiple copies of CDs to be able to get handshakes, photos, and even to vote their favorite girl as top idol in the group. If you go to the AKB48 theater 100 times you can get your name on this hall of fame sort of wall and be recognized at a show. It's all things like that who add up. All of these are things the management company chooses to do.

There's people who buy, I'm not exaggerating here, HUNDREDS of the same single so they can get more votes to vote the girl up the ranks for the AKB48 sousenkyo (election) that they have every year. The sousenkyo is NOT as simple as a popularity contest. The higher rank a girl gets, the more likely she is to get center (featured front and foremost in a song), get other job offers later, etc that will help her career. That brings out a sense of entitlement to some people. As in, look, I supported you this much financially to help your career. You OWE me something.

I like AKB48's music and it's fun to watch the girls in variety shows and such. But I admit that there's a very unhealthy obsessive culture in the AKB48 fandom too that makes me sick to think about. Again, this is NOT only AKB48. They are just one example, since they are one of Japan's most popular idol groups. Other idol groups do similar things.
HikaruSniper

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:04 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
HikaruSniper wrote:

Do you seriously think this is a class issue? How about the nut job shut-ins that obsess over this culture?

Edit
And now it's making international headlines. This will end well.

You didn't get my point. Idol thing in Japan is a sick thing, seriously. A perverse creation made by companies to dry kids/teens pockets.
More like a devotional thing, and that cant be good on any level.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
jesusalcala11 wrote:
But the 2D girl is voiced by a real person. Just ask Aya Hirano.

Or Emi Nitta.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
jesusalcala11 wrote:
But the 2D girl is voiced by a real person. Just ask Aya Hirano.

Or Emi Nitta.

Or, as an unfamiliar instance, Ayana Taketatsu.
guestatc

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
You guys realize she's not really an idol at all? I realize it's fashionable to rant and rave about those "dirty disgusting otaku", but that's not at all applicable. She was in some extremely low-key acting gig, a group made for a web series for kids that lasted a year. After that ended, she just became a regular singer, she was basically an indie song-writer/singer, she plays the guitar, and was on her way to a regular venue to perform, it was something like a bar or music hall.

But what gets more view? Some college-age kid gets attacked by a stalker? Maybe the local papers. But an "idol" gets attacked by an "otaku" fan? International news, people sitting there complaining about these "terrible individuals, why are they so weird!!!!" And that's exactly what happened in this comment section as well.

Again, I realize that lots of people have agendas over wanting to blame every social ill on people who are different or easy to blame, that's why an indie musician is being billed in tons of media as an idol. There are people who also just hate things to do with idols in general, so that find anything they can to bash the industry with. But people honestly should take a step back and see that this was just a stalker with issues attacking someone, something that literally happens the world over, plenty I'm sure in the countries most of the people throwing out their sanctimonious comments live in.
grouwl

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Didn't we lose John Lennon for this very exact situation? We're no better than them, I must say...I guess we're not so used to "meet and greet" anymore...Imagine a meet and greet Paul Mc cartney, or adele or UGH!! JUSTIN BEAVER!!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5