• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seven Manga That Need An English Release Right Now

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I usually do not feel like I am missing anything because I do not know about most manga until it is translated and released here. I had never heard of any of those in the article.
The rare exception is when an anime that I like has a manga that has not been released. I often learn about the manga when reading about the anime.

So my personal wish list would include:
Fancy Lala (the manga is an adaptation of the anime)
Let's Go Play! (Cat Planet Cuties)
Pani Poni (the manga for Pani Poni Dash!)
Sora no Otoshimono (Heaven's Lost Property)

Releases that were never completed would be a much longer list, but that is a different topic.
There are also novels that have not been translated and released. I wonder if that might be a future article?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
There are also novels that have not been translated and released. I wonder if that might be a future article?

Good point. There's whole swaths of Japanese literature that have never seen the light of day in the west. Teito Monogatari is a major novel series over there, but here, people only know it for the live action movies and those hyperviolent/hypersexual OVAs it received.

We've at least received the Kouga Ninja Scrolls in English, though; it's the basis for all those works of Japanese fiction that portray ninja as superpowered freaks like Ninja Scroll, Naruto, and more.

Princess_Irene wrote:

More generally speaking, this was an incredibly difficult article to write. I did veer more on the female-oriented side because that's where I see the lack in content, but by no means are all of them love stories: Gisele Alain is slice-of-life, Last Quarter is a ghost story/mystery, Rash is a comedy, F. Compo is family drama, and Georgie is historical fiction. The only strict romances on the list are Flowers for Seri, Candy, and Kiken Mania, so less than half any way you slice it.

I wouldn't worry if your titles fell more into the shoujo/josei catagories; that just means more material future articles in my book.

Quote:
The other reason I tended to avoid shounen is because they're generally too long to even be considered. I'd love to see Beelzebub get an English release or City Hunter/Angel Heart, but that really felt like too much of a long shot. (I'd also love Glass Mask, but yeah, not gonna happen.) You'll notice that the longest series I mentioned was 14 volumes; all the others are five or under. (I was hard put not to throw Seven Seeds and Tokyo Crazy Paradise in, though.)

Eh, if we're talking stuff we wanna see get released, I'm going balls out.

Last edited by GVman on Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:03 pm Reply with quote
My top 2 picks are:

Daytime Shooting Star-It kinda boggles my mind that Viz hasn't licensed this yet (at least to my knowledge). It's a great shojo that doesn't make me roll my eyes or sigh in annoyance. The art is also great.

Flunk Punk Rumble-By the same author as Yamada-kun and the 7 Witches, it's the story of a high school delinquent that gets noticed by a well meaning female student that tries to get him to change his delinquent ways. There's more to it, but I don't want to spoil anything.
BlueBeast33

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Kingdom by Yasuhisa Hara. It is absolutely ridiculous how Viz hasn't licensed this series yet. It's one of the best war manga ever made. It's a part of weekly young jump which is the seinen version of shounen jump. They have their own Big 3 with Kingdom, Tokyo Ghoul, and Terra Formars. TG and TF both are licensed and have been getting volume releases for a while now, but Kingdom still hasn't gotten licensed. If you saw the recent sales for the first half of 2016, Kingdom was number 5 and it's been in the top 10 to 15 for the last 3 years or so. It's only gotten more and more popular. So yeah that's my pick.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:47 pm Reply with quote
GVman wrote:

In that case, what I REALLY want is Ouke no Monshou, which has been going since the 70s. Very Happy Ancient Egypt, time travel, 1970s/80s shoujo art...who care if it has a ludicrous number of volumes? That's what omnibuses are for!

@BlueBeast33
Yes, definitely! The somewhat lackluster anime made me want to read the real story.
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:05 pm Reply with quote
A manga I want released officially in English more than anything is Yokohama Shopping Log (aka Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.) I know it's not going to happen, but I want it so badly.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
GVman wrote:

In that case, what I REALLY want is Ouke no Monshou, which has been going since the 70s. Very Happy Ancient Egypt, time travel, 1970s/80s shoujo art...who care if it has a ludicrous number of volumes? That's what omnibuses are for!

61 and counting! Now this is the kinda crazy I like to see!!! The art looks gorgeous, too. I have to wonder if the lead girl has changed history any in this manga, though? Anyhow, we've seen 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 omnibuses, but about 4-in-1? 5-in-1? Or even...10-in-1!?!?!?

All kidding aside, I am curious if it'd be possible to print something coffee table book-sized with multiple pages per page.
WingKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a huge manga reader, so I tend to not know much of what's out there unless I've seen an anime first. But personally, I'd be first in line to buy Silver Spoon if that ever got a North American release. I know that Arakawa's an excellent writer, and the anime is one of my all-time favorites, so I'd love to be able to get my hands on the rest of the story (legally).
Beobachter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
The titles on the article are all new to me, so thanks for the information. The Ai Yazawa one interested me the most, seeing that I really like her style based on the more well-known Paradise Kiss and Nana.

Glass Mask and Swan are legendary stuff, yeah, got published here in the 1990s and I'm lucky enough to read a lot of them through my older sister's collection.

I don't have much of a wishlist, as I'm spoiled enough by the glut of titles already licensed in my country (Indonesia), although I'm still waiting for a few titles (my kingdom for Chihayafuru...). I think the only things publishers here wouldn't ever touch are straight up hentai (which I don't mind) and LGBT stuff (which is kind of a bummer).
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd love to see Tough, Baki the Grappler, Baki son of ogre and Gigantomakhia published in English.
Boltbolter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
cl-shojo wrote:
And speaking of Hanadan, none of Yoko Kamio's other works have been brought here, which is a shame.

Actually, Viz quietly released Crown of Thorns by Yoko Kamio digitally. It's two volumes and really pretty good. They also released Nana Haruta's Chocolate Cosmos the same way. I'm hoping that if enough people read them digitally they'll consider a print release.

More generally speaking, this was an incredibly difficult article to write. I did veer more on the female-oriented side because that's where I see the lack in content, but by no means are all of them love stories: Gisele Alain is slice-of-life, Last Quarter is a ghost story/mystery, Rash is a comedy, F. Compo is family drama, and Georgie is historical fiction. The only strict romances on the list are Flowers for Seri, Candy, and Kiken Mania, so less than half any way you slice it.

The other reason I tended to avoid shounen is because they're generally too long to even be considered. I'd love to see Beelzebub get an English release or City Hunter/Angel Heart, but that really felt like too much of a long shot. (I'd also love Glass Mask, but yeah, not gonna happen.) You'll notice that the longest series I mentioned was 14 volumes; all the others are five or under. (I was hard put not to throw Seven Seeds and Tokyo Crazy Paradise in, though.)

There is an official English release for Angel Heart. http://www.manga-audition.com/comic-zenon/#angel

I was surprised by the lack of anything current on the list like say Golden Kaumi or Dungeon Meshi.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:
A manga I want released officially in English more than anything is Yokohama Shopping Log (aka Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou.) I know it's not going to happen, but I want it so badly.

Thank you! Easily my favorite manga, and surely one of the most-requested by fans for the longest period of time. This is another perfect Yen Press fit.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Neko-sensei wrote:
Northlander wrote:

Thank you! Easily my favorite manga, and surely one of the most-requested by fans for the longest period of time. This is another perfect Yen Press fit.

This is also my most wanted title.

Not going to lie, it really stung when I asked about it on an ANNCast episode when they had a guest from Vertical, and his response was "now you're just trolling"

Sad

That hurt so much.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Northlander wrote:

My top pick... no, this is the only real series that "needs an English release right now". Everything else here are either "should have" or "could have" releases.

I read it ten years ago in a single day and I still remember the art fondly, never mind the characters and atmosphere.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Am I missing somewhere that this article only concerns manga with female protagonists? Because I'm pretty sure every manga listed has a female protagonist. Seemed odd after the intro talked about diversity. Why no Billy Bat for instance? It's got French, Spanish, German, and Chinese releases amongst others, but no English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7