• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Atlus 'Looks Into' Releasing Japanese Voice Track as DLC for Persona 5

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
If a lack of Japanese audio turns them away from forking over the money, they're in their right.

Personally, just by concept, hearing English voices call Japanese names in a Japanese setting feels awkward to me.

and that's totally fine and valid! if you can't make it work for you, that's not your or anyone's fault.

i think the point i;m trying to make is getting a little lost because it's fractured across a few posts but essentially, what i've been trying to say is; dual audio in a persona game is not something has has ever been offered before, for whatever reason. people had no reason to expect it, aside from other unrelated companies doing so with their own IP. if people want it, that's fine! if they'd prefer not to buy the game without it, that's... silly, imo, but whatevs, people will do what they do.

acting as if the company have snatched dual audio from your hands, crying 'censorship' (as i've seen people doing -- not in this thread though obviously) and generally being screechingly entitled about this entire business is what i take issue with.
Gray.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Star Ocean 5 is the 1st SO to have dual-audio (i think, never played 4)
Final Fantasy XV is the 1st FF to have dual-audio, also Lightining Returns added them as DLC.
Tales of Zestiria is the 1st Tales of to have dual-audio.

Even Resident Evil Revelations 2 has a japanese audio option.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Can't say I really care. Japanese audio is not the "do all, end all" factor for me when it comes to JRPGs, never has been, and that's not going to change. Honestly, I hated the fact the Agarest War games didn't have English dubs and neither did Tales of Hearts R. Having only the Japanese voices ruins the immersion for me.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:03 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
what's 'irrational' imo is boycotting an entire game -- to the point of saying a game without japanese audio is equivalent to an unlocalized game -- for a feature that you aren't even required to use. just turn off the voice track. simple.

You don't seem to grasp a simple concept: a Japanese game without the original Japanese audio is worthless to me. A non localized Japanese game is also worthless to me. So, they are both equally worthless to me. Why is it so hard to understand that someone who does not like English dubs will not buy English dubs? Why would someone, anyone, buy something they do not like?
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
yurigasaki wrote:
i think the point i;m trying to make is getting a little lost because it's fractured across a few posts but essentially, what i've been trying to say is; dual audio in a persona game is not something has has ever been offered before, for whatever reason. people had no reason to expect it, aside from other unrelated companies doing so with their own IP. if people want it, that's fine! if they'd prefer not to buy the game without it, that's... silly, imo, but whatevs, people will do what they do.

Well, there are three factors that exist now that didn't when P4 was released:
1.Physical storage now allows it
2.Every company except Nintendo (mostly) and them is doing it
3.They know for sure that it will sell A LOT so they have no chance of losing money.

That said, there's a factor to overrule them all: it's Atlus and they love being contemptuous like that. Afterall, all this was true when P4G, PQ and those other P4 spin-offs came out but there was no dual audio for those either.

Anyways, I don't think anyone is surprised that no DA is happening, just disappointed that Atlus isn't taking the chance to maje themselves better.
Take also into account that nowadays one of any company's targets (at least ones adscribed to ISO 9001) is self-improvement. Seeing a company refusing to improve when it's relatively easy is, well, disappointing.
terminus24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why anyone would've expected dual audio, it's not really a thing with Atlus and their extreme fear of reverse importation- that's why Arena was region-locked and dual audio, and why there weren't Japanese voices in the US anime Blu-Rays until the CE years later. Other companies just don't seem to have this fear that Atlus does.
yurigasaki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
yurigasaki wrote:
what's 'irrational' imo is boycotting an entire game -- to the point of saying a game without japanese audio is equivalent to an unlocalized game -- for a feature that you aren't even required to use. just turn off the voice track. simple.

You don't seem to grasp a simple concept: a Japanese game without the original Japanese audio is worthless to me. A non localized Japanese game is also worthless to me. So, they are both equally worthless to me.

then here's a simple solution: learn japanese.

i'm being entirely serious. if japanese audio is that integral to your enjoyment of a game that a game lacking it loses all merit for you then learn japanese and play unlocalized games. you don't have to fret about if a game you dig is going to be dual audio, you have access to a massive catalog of games that have not and never will be localized and well, it's just cool to be able to pick up a game that isn't in your mother language and play it.

you're right: i can't grasp your 'simple concept' because the idea of being so hung up on the japanese audio track is just unfathomable to me.
SoloDragoon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Consumer here - I will buy things I want. That fit the value of my money.

Persona 5 is a hard call on my end. While dual-audio would be great, I an not opposed to English Dubs. Just it does turn me away from a purchase. Simply because the setting and the games design are based around japanse culture. With english voices its kind of awkward. So I would need to wait and look into each individual characters audio to see if it warrants a purchase.

English dubs for the most part have been very much a hit and miss.. So I hold my money/time closer to do more research into it before I can make a purchasing decision.

With the information / trailers / content revealed so for for the JP release I would easily warrant a purchase as the value of the voice acting shows to me that it was well done.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:22 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, if ATLUS had said that they were going to release the game only in Japanese, I'd be really disappointed, too. Neutral
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
I don't know why anyone would've expected dual audio, it's not really a thing with Atlus and their extreme fear of reverse importation- that's why Arena was region-locked and dual audio, and why there weren't Japanese voices in the US anime Blu-Rays until the CE years later. Other companies just don't seem to have this fear that Atlus does.

Huh, I didn't know about the anime thing, that's outright paranoid.
That's quite worrisome, not just because of the thinner likelihood of getting dual audio, but because bad things happen when paranoids hold power.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Free DLC I would hope if it's a capacity issue which I severely doubt.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
Free DLC I would hope if it's a capacity issue which I severely doubt.

Only game I know of that might go over the limit is FF15 and if it does I've seen people saying Tabata would have the JP audio be free dlc.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Japanese voice tracks should really be standard in localized games.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:04 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I want the original voices. I will not buy without the original voices. If P5 has low sales and they decide not to license any more P games because of it, I won't care, because to me an English dub only version is the same as no localized version at all.

Eventhough logically and realistically it's not. Since with a localized game you can actually go into your nearest store and buy the game in your native language and play it whereas in a non localized version can only be bought online and generally isn't in your native language leaving you SOL if you can't read Japanese bonus points if you can't even play it on your native console.

Yuvelir wrote:
If a lack of Japanese audio turns them away from forking over the money, they're in their right.

Only if the game in question has a godawful English dub like Megaman X4. If the dub is actually something that's not legitimately cringe inducing like the 3rd and 4th Persona games than that attitude is a little bit difficult to take seriosusly.
uzuki99

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
Gray Fullbuster wrote:
if the problem were licensing issues, they could just come out and say it.
if now they're "looking into", they are probably just being stubborn and lazy about not doing it in the first place.
i mean how hard can it be?

I love the japanese cast in this game, if there's no Japanese audio i'm probably not buying it anymore.
so you're going to skip out on what may be a really good game? and it's over something minor like the lack of Japanese voice track?

Yes. I would not be able to play it with horrible USA voices, it would make my ears bleed. I already skipped buying persona q because of this, took another route to get my dual audio release of that game instead..
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6