• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: ANN Readers: Food Wars! 2 is Summer 2016's Most Anticipated Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:23 am Reply with quote
*reads headline*

Yeah, OK. That sounds about right.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:36 am Reply with quote
My level of care for Shokugeki no Soma is negative, I think I barely finished the first episode. Not sure if I hate it or not I just didn't care about anything it showed on the first episode.

I'm much more hyped for Mob Psycho, Amanchu!! to be the best of this season.
tsvkkis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:17 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
tsvkkis wrote:
I feel like I'm one of the few of the population who didn't like Shokugeki no Souma which is a shame because I really did want to like it since I love cooking based things so much. I watched about half of the first season and read a lot of the manga, but I just couldn't get myself into it. I think it was probably because I was uncomfortable with the extreme "foodgasms" that were displayed, but I'll try to give the second season a try!
(Silently hopes that Mob Psycho 100 will get the recognition it deserves)

I dropped ShokuSoma for the same reason as early as episode 2. The way the female characters were humiliated in a sexualized way didn't sit well with me at all. It's a shame because I really like the art style and character design, but no matter how much I enjoyed watching the food parts, the foodgasms were too jarring to keep watching

I remember the episode I dropped it honestly, it was the part where they were tasting some kind of meat roll and then all the clothes blew off of a woman, that was that part where I drew the line. Everything was just too over the top and exaggerated in a painfully, not funny way. Both in the manga and the anime, all I remember is 99% of hyper sexualized females and 1 guy who was always naked in an apron. Fun.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:42 am Reply with quote
Also dropped Food Wars. Foodgasms are fine, but I just found the whole story structure pretty repetitive & don't really like the arsehole out to prove that he's as awesome as he thinks he is protagonist. Could have been worse. Could have been an awesome super cook who just wanted a normal life (which seems to be a thing this summer, sadly).

List seems more or less as one would expect. Didn't really like the Orange manga, but I can see why it's catnip to the "feels" crowd. I look forward to all the "omg I cried so hard such feelz I'm literally dying" comments & youtube vids.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:58 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
I look forward to all the "omg I cried so hard such feelz I'm literally dying" comments & youtube vids.
Personally I'm looking forward to all the ugly filtered Tumblr GIFs of characters crying overlayed with dumb quotes from the show that those Filipino anime meme pages love so much.

Nah but seriously I'll reserve judgement until I see the show.

Last edited by SquadmemberRitsu on Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:10 am Reply with quote
Don't know much about Orange beyond the fact it involves time travel so I'll check it out. So, ecstatic for Food Wars. It was actually thanks to the Weekly Episode Reviews that I learned to love the character development in best girl Megumi around the middle of the seadon that I ended up giving the show a second chance. By the time the Autumn Elections started I was hooked. There are still some weird foodgasms (which makes sense due the main artist of the manga trio being a popular ecchi/hentai artist) but, it's really the characters like Alice, Akira, and Takumi that sell it for me.

Can't wait for D. Gray Man and Love Live! Sunshine as well.
LightYapper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:33 am Reply with quote
Guess I am a loner here for getting hyped up for Saiki Kusuo if not for another poster. I honestly didn't think it'd be that obscure here (maybe because of its setting?). Good thing Orange is at least getting some positive feedback, which balances it out got me.

And for all of you who dropped Shokugeki because of its over-the-top 'eroge' hijinks, they dropped the tone and the 'over-the-topness' at later episodes/chapters. They certainly still exist, but those gimmicks are actually much gentler there IMO (though they also introduced more fan service exclusively for females, much to my personal discomfort). Furthermore, the second season dives into the one of the best arc in the manga so far, so would you be willing to give it another chance, if possible? (BTW, I still need to catch up with the previous season, same for D Gray Man)
TrueZangetsu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mob psycho not in top five is like having a lot of gold and silver around you which is all you can see, while the gigantic diamond Platinum wish fulfilling God powers giving gem stone is ignored by the majority
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
A tasty congrats to Food Wars 2 for winning the overall poll! Smile Time to bring out the steaks!
chex mix

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I didn't like Food Wars mainly because Erina is such an awful character I ended up shouting at my TV all the time, and that's no fun. The foodgasms were mainly a weird use of fanservice as a timewaste, it felt. Like the show felt free to be exploitative in other ways at other times as well, so really, cutting away from the action to show stupid crap was just... distracting? Other than the magical cabbage one, which was awesome and which I will defend to the death. Smile

I do like time travel, but I don't like feels, so, we'll see about this Orange business. Probably not.

It seems like most of what I'm stoked for is around the middle of the list. A lot of good comedy coming up this summer. Cute High Earth Defense Club, Saiki, Handa-kun, Danganronpa 3, ReLIFE, & Mob Psycho 100 look worth watching. A few other things look worthwhile as well. I'm content.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:43 pm Reply with quote
This thread is hilarious. I feel like I'm in the middle of a car or motorcycle gathering where everybody rags on each other for their choice of vehicle and after-market accessories, trying to prove who's most edgy and knowledgable. Very Happy I guess fans are the same everywhere, they eat their own.

I'm just looking forward to the season in general, since there are a few titles that interest me, some continuations I know I like, and a whole slew of stuff I don't know anything about until I watch the first episode (I've stopped reading those seasonal charts, since the descriptions have turned out to have zero bearing on what I ended up watching, and sometimes nearly kept me away from some great stuff). No matter how good or bad the source material was, you never know anyway until you actually see what they do with the anime.
Astral God

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Rip Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan
Crisha

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Agree or disagree with the lists, we don't care, folks. But do so respectfully and please explain why. Posts that rag on others for "shit taste" and the like are just going to be deleted. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Mob psycho not in top five is like having a lot of gold and silver around you which is all you can see, while the gigantic diamond Platinum wish fulfilling God powers giving gem stone is ignored by the majority

I love your (hilarious) poetic metaphor here! Here's hoping Mob Psycho 100 lives up to all the hype!
COREY2293

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
i only watched food wars, really enjoyed it. i enjoyed it so much i actually binged it all. and i didn't even think i would have liked it. i just watched it because of the hype it had haha. looking forward to it

sucks to see seven deadly sins so low... if these specials dont do well then i guess i can kiss season 2 good bye. which would be horrible because the current demon arc in the manga is amazing stuff. the final sin was revealed and lets just say it was better than i could have hoped for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2