• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Are Bishonen More Popular Than Beefy Guys?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:44 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
zslobber wrote:
Here you go! It's pretty much a mandatory link when discussing things like this...

http://www.shortpacked.com/2011/comic/book-13/05-the-death-of-snkrs/falseequivalence/

Ah, but Shortpacked is drawn by a man, so it's just mansplaining Laughing That comic's also been rebuked plenty of times over the years to the point the author felt he had to make a sequel which was ridiculed and even more strawman-y. You can easily say not all men want triple D breasted women and that's just what women think men want so all those buxom babes are female power fantasies.

I live here in the sunny California and having a buff bod is definitely an attractive thing to have with women. I see tons of guys at the gym and beach bulking up on protein powder stuff. Might be a regional thing. Course we're also anime fans so of it's not that surprising if anime fan women have tastes more in line with Japanese women. Among the mainstream though, having a nice six-pack is the more attractive thing. Facial hair too, though in my experience some women hate it. But if we're looking at strictly a generalized opinion, ripped men win out in market tests towards women more often than not.

Course there's also age to figure in. Bieber might be popular with the teenage girl audience, but most adult women seem to prefer Chriss Pratt, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downy Jr, and all those other MCU stars Laughing Gotta get in those shirtless buff scenes for the female audience.

Bieber is really hot. His calvin klein ads and him nearly always shirtless is hot, if only i cpuld be his boyfriend Sad

The others you mention are all old and well if people are into Dad type of guys... :/
Fenrin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
archyteckie08 wrote:
This isn't a Japanese thing. Western girls are no different. Younger women, almost universally prefer "pretty boys" over buff dudes. One Direction, Orlando Bloom, Leonardo Dicaprio, Justin Bieber, David Beckham, any Disney channel show's male star or main love interest,Tom Cruise, Zac Effron, Tyler Posey, Jones Brothers, male characters in CW or Free form shows, and the list goes on.

It's funny, out of all the guys you listed, I don't find a single one of them hot, and some even unattractive (Cruise and Dicaprio Laughing ) and I fall into that young woman demographic

But I'm even less into buff guys. I guess I go for the more distinct looking guys with minimal muscle.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:49 pm Reply with quote
lostrune wrote:
but most adult women seem to prefer Chriss Pratt, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downy Jr, and all those other MCU stars Laughing Gotta get in those shirtless buff scenes for the female audience.

Actually, from what I understand, the most popular of the Marvel men is Tom Hiddleston.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I am not sure that total beefcakes are the female "sexual ideal" in US comics either. Nightwing and Gambit would rank pretty high here (DC´s rather deconstructive Grayson made that a running joke). I don´t think that most of us will crack the teen girl mindset (hello ladies!) but Twilight also went the middle rout and teen pop idol´s are fit but not Hulks either.
The pictured Free! guys are technically as beefy as Batfleck or MCU Cap (dat flexing in the helicopter scene!) but the presentation is of the pretty boy variety. A balance (towards the boy-ish) usually exists when there are action or sports element. The only requirement is that they should be around high school age to stay "relatable". That goes for most of animu nonsense... To see how the other side of the world ticks: http://comicsalliance.com/comics-sexiest-male-characters/
So many bad boys and a few manga guys. Poor Batman, too many adopted children i guess. The obvious winner (the excellent female writer / artist combo knew what was up):
#
@explosionforgov I talked to a lot of women about that and Loki wins. The new Aquaman will turn a lot of head though. So 90s, i love it!

Last edited by residentgrigo on Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
explosionforgov

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:20 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
lostrune wrote:
but most adult women seem to prefer Chriss Pratt, Chris Hemsworth, Robert Downy Jr, and all those other MCU stars Laughing Gotta get in those shirtless buff scenes for the female audience.

Actually, from what I understand, the most popular of the Marvel men is Tom Hiddleston.

It really depends on the woman. I think Tom Hiddleston comes off as a very talented, friendly individual, but Loki is so morally reprehensible that I find his actual character completely unattractive. (Well, that, and I just find Chris Hemsworth/Thor more aesthetically in line with my tastes.)

I think we're also trying to generalize here. For example, several of the gay/bi men who have posted have said they like bishounen, while others said they preferred bara. So far, I'm the only woman who's said she's preferred bara, but I know there are others on other websites who do (because I frequently reblog or retweet art they've drawn of beefy men). Nothing regarding personal preference ever has a 100% consensus either way.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I didn't know male models get paid far less than females. Sounds like something you do if you are already rich and famous like what some celebrities do.
jutsuri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:39 pm Reply with quote
As a straight woman I've always been drawn more to the 'ruggedly handsome' type than bishounen or pretty boys, although I've never equated being ruggedly handsome to overly musclebound, body-builder types. When I was in high school I thought George Clooney and Russel Crowe were the hottest guys around. I felt that their particular type of handsome had been underrepresented in the current discussion and needed to bring them up.

Also, I thought it was a well known fact that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is hands-down the hottest western superhero, so why hasn't he been mentioned?

I've never been attracted to western style comic book superheroes, but the angular jaws and giant lips put me off more than the muscles.

As for my opinions on the hottest anime guys, I prefer the ones leaning towards masculine over the more androgynous bishounen. Hitsugaya is adorable, and my favorite Bleach character, but I would say that Grimmjow and Ichigo are 'hotter' than he is. Hak from Akatsuki no Yona, Kyo from Samurai Deeper Kyo, Sousuke from Full Metal Panic, those are the type of characters I fall the hardest for.

Just my two cents.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:35 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

What DOES matter more, is social standing and success. This is what often leads to the "football player" success in high school. The star quarterback is usually really popular, so hence, people think "strong" guy = attractive. Guys in general respect/defer to men who are "stronger" than them, and hence, the "alpha" male is considered "attractive". Men therefore assume he is PHYSICALLY attractive, when in fact that's likely not a strong consideration.

Eh, generally I find women are more attracted to "confidence" rather than success, social standing, and/or "alpha male"-ness. Scratch that, I think folks of all genders tend to be attracted to confidence. But I think that's what you're cottoning on to when you're equating "strength" to "attractiveness". And since socially awkward folks tend to not be as confident in social settings, that's why they tend to get labeled as "unattractive".
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Paiprince wrote:
I'm straight as a pole and even I think the big, buff Billly Herrington look is unappealing. It's the equivalent to the overly huge cow udders they implant on girls like Queens Blade and Eiken.

Same here. I'm 100% straight, but even I think this is incredibly unappealing.

Alan45 wrote:
I've been pretty much happy in my own skin all my life. Except for some extra weight as I age, I still am.

From early childhood I overate a lot and was always pretty heavy. I remember in my high school years being a little over the 200 pound mark and I've been around 5'9-5'10 height wise. I remember being so big and flabby that my stomach was saggy and I could actually pull it up with my hands.

After that point, I made some serious adjustments to my diet and started working out and I think my low point was around 150. Sadly I didn't stick to my guns and I think on top of feeling depressed about certain things, my weight shot back up to around 200 pounds again. I got my act together again and my weight slowly went back down into the high 150s-low 160s, and it stayed that way for a while.

Then we get to the more recent point of my life where for whatever reason I hadn't weighed myself in a long time, but finally did only to be shocked that my weight was sitting around 175-178. My diet has been pretty healthy and I drink almost nothing but water, stick to more lean meats like chicken, tuna, etc, and I love a good healthy salad full of stuff like cucumber, roma tomatoes, and red pepper. I stay the hell away from the really bad and sugary cereals and stick to stuff more along the lines of Raisin Nut Bran, Honey Bunches of Oats, etc, and even enjoy cutting up fresh strawberries and putting it in my cereal. And if I want some quick fast food and don't feel like making something at home or going out to dinner, I'll gladly hit up Subway and get a Tuna Sub over going to McDonalds or anything like that. Much better than compared to my low points where I drank Mountain Dew regularly, and ate probably too much french fries and fried chicken tenders. You can definitely eat healthy and enjoy it all the same. I'm much happier eating the healthier foods I enjoy today and would probably glare at the thought of the poor food choices I made back in the day.

All I can say is at some point I must have really bulked up enough that I put on some weight, although at the same time my waste size definitely went up from a 32-33 to a 35-36. My arms are more bulked than ever, but I still feel fairly lean and in shape, though I'm far from being toned and have what I would consider an average build, though maybe just slightly overweight. I try to do a fair amount of push-ups, squats, and crunches when I can and before I shower in the morning. While I could use to lose around 5-10 pounds I imagine, I do feel overall healthier than I probably ever have in my life, and I'm going on 32 years old in September. I'm very happy and perfectly fine with being in my own skin at this point.
Gasero

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:47 pm Reply with quote
I think Japan gets around beefyness by just making people become powerhouses regardless of their size.

According to Japanese cartoons, large adults are easily defeated by small children.
GVman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
It's interesting, really. When I was 13, I hated the look of musclebound characters. However, as I got older and puberty hit me harder, I really began to prefer the more swole-looking characters. Fact of the matter was that I never looked like toothpicks like Naruto and Sasuke. While someone like Kenshiro was (and still is) a far off ideal, he's still achievable.

When I was 14, I got into to powerlifting, and I was pretty good at it. My peak was when I was 239 and squatting 600 lbs; it didn't feel much different than 500, but I didn't exhale and blew a few blood vessels in my face and eyes. I've never been skinny; even when I was fairly athletically fit (and had barely been in powerlifting for a year), I was over 200. I'm just a big guy, and I was finally able to accept that thanks, in part, to manga with swole dudes. If I busted my butt, day in and day out, I could manage to look like a second-string Baki character; I'll never look like most CLAMP dudes unless I starve myself to death. Shit, even Toriko, with his 473 lbs of muscle, is more realistic for me than that.

Eventually, I just became happy with how I look. It might have something to do with how I like larger women, but I just began to like how I look. As long as I have my health and groom myself (I do use hairspray; a little product never hurts) I have nothing else to worry about in that regard. Everyone fits someone's ideal.

As for all this talk about Grmmjow, I'm straight and I find myself attracted to him, though that has more to do with how he carries himself.
KitsuneBella

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Quote:
We should be happy with who we are. If you succeed in doing this, tell me how.

Honestly? I just kinda gave up. I was never going to be that handsome stud who all the ladies swooned over so rather than waste 12 hours a week on a fruitless endeavor I'd rather use that time to do something I personally enjoy.

I wouldn't want a girl who was only interested in me because I was ripped anyways.

Being a 50 something I can say that i'm never going to be the willow twig I used to be when I was a tween or teen. But I remember being constantly teased in grammar school for the way I looked. Though I was dotted at home by my family.....who were my biggest fans anyway regards of how I was treated by others and very lucky too as it would happen....I felt like the ugly duckling amongst my classmates, which didn't change much once I entered high school. Low self-esteem creeps up in many ways at different times and it did in my case. But after my freshman year of high school, all that changed for the most part. I joined my high school band after that and would continue that for the rest of my time in high school. I made tons of new friends and had a lot of experiences I doubt I would have had if I hadn't joined band. My self-confidence grew and in time my body image changed. Looks fade with age anyway. But as long as those around you are willing to accept you for the person you are inside and judge you by what you stand for and not by how you look- as long as you are happy and as long as you feel good in your skin, nothing else really matters.

For the record, IRL I much prefer a guy's personality and how he treats me and my response to that than the way he looks. Looks will always fade, like I said but there has to be something left after. But in my fantasy life, which is very robust...my attractions lean more toward twinks, or bishounen. I don't like guys who are too bulky but are athletic looking and healthy, and they can't have any body hair....yuck, nor facial hair...double yuck!
JDude042

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:34 pm Reply with quote
KitsuneBella wrote:
and they can't have any body hair....yuck, nor facial hair...double yuck!

Unfortunately, all the men on my dad's side of the family are practically yetis when it comes to body hair (not literally). Sad Sadly as you can guess, I have to deal with that too. About once every month I have to take the hair clippers and trim down my back, chest, stomach, and all that. Considering the amount of hair, it's almost like shaving off a dog's fur. Fortunately and unfortunately, my hair grows very fast. On the positive side, I'm showing no signs of a receding hair line or baldness, while my dad has been losing his hair for quite sometime and is getting very bald. On the negative side, I'm having to groom myself and get haircuts more often than most other people, but I'll take having a full head of hair over the latter. Oh and, I've found that I look much better with facial hair than clean shaven, so I only tend to trim down my facial hair twice a week, so I go from having a little bit of stubble all around to a somewhat light beard. I don't think I could handle a full-on heavy beard or anything, especially with it being summer and what not. I find it tends to start looking very scruffy and messy if I let it grow out too much.
Guile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
I am not sure that total beefcakes are the female "sexual ideal" in US comics either. Nightwing and Gambit would rank pretty high here (DC´s rather deconstructive Grayson made that a running joke).

That picture of Nightwing you posted looks pretty muscular. Im not an expert on American culture, but most of those super heroes would fall under the muscular category in my eyes. When I think of androgynous bishonen characters they usually don't have a single bit of muscle mass on them.
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I fall into the young female category, and I totally prefer pretty boys, both in anime and real life. Super skinny and tall.

On another note, I think it's a little jealous and petty to mention all the bad or unfavorable aspects of a model's job and put down their profession just to make yourself feel better. Whether or not you're happy with yourself doesn't matter. Being a model, male or female, is a respectable career and I applaud anyone who puts in the hard work to maintain their physique.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5