• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Dub, Release Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TamenishDragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:01 am Reply with quote
If they start hosting the dubbed and subbed versions of all their shows I might just get a subscription to Crunchyroll as opposed to Animelab next year.

It will be great to see all of the Free! Dub finally available on DVD, and definitely interesting to hear how they dub Kabaneri.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:46 am Reply with quote
It's hard to say how his will affect Sentai. They stopped licensing simulcasts to CR a few seasons ago, and haven't picked up home video rights to any CR titles in a while. Perhaps they knew this was a possibility and decided to take their business elsewhere (first Hulu, then TAN and others). CR does have Kadokowa for now, but like Funi's deal with Gonzo, it may only be temporary.

Sentai almost always gets the TBS shows every season. Combine that with the number of shows that we know of that they still have to release, and any titles they haven't announced yet or are still negotiating, and they will have plenty to work with for a while.

But ultimately, it will end up coming down to whoever offers the most money for a specific show. The big downside I see in all of this is that more companies competing for home video rights, in addition to streaming rights is going to drive up licensing fees even more. Factor in large companies like Netflix and Amazon also jumping on the bandwagon, and prices could rise to the point that titles start becoming unprofitable.

I'm a little nervous, as we've already heard reports of licensing costs soaring out of control, and this may only worsen the situation. We've already seen both Funimation and Sentai scale back a bit on the titles they acquire each season. Sentai also scaled back a bit on the number of shows it dubs, and higher licensing costs could be a big reason for that.

Competition is generally a good thing. But I can't help but wonder how many companies the R1 market can handle. The last time we had this many companies distributing anime, and new companies jumping in, the market wasn't able to support all the releases. We ended up with Viz, Funimation, reborn ADV (via Sentai), and Media Blasters (albeit a shadow of its former self), as the only significant survivors. I don't want to see a repeat of that.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:05 am Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
It's pretty clear (despite a complete lack of English credits) that Funi's dub for Kingdom last year was done in Canada, as there are a number of recognizable Death Note and InuYasha alumni in the cast. Unless all of them moved south? Then I guess it's a reunion dub for Canadian VAs outside of Canada. Smile With internet capable studios now, it's hard to know any more where they actually need to be to work.

i'm pretty sure LA dubbed Kingdom.

Nope, it was dubbed in Calgary as it had a few people who were involved with the Cardfight Vanguard & Future Card Buddyfight dubs plus a Canadian YouTuber who confirmed his involvement years ago.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:45 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Nope, it was dubbed in Calgary as it had a few people who were involved with the Cardfight Vanguard & Future Card Buddyfight dubs plus a Canadian YouTuber who confirmed his involvement years ago.

ah, so that's why i couldn't recognize all of the casts.

dragonrider_cody wrote:
It's hard to say how his will affect Sentai. They stopped licensing simulcasts to CR a few seasons ago, and haven't picked up home video rights to any CR titles in a while. Perhaps they knew this was a possibility and decided to take their business elsewhere (first Hulu, then TAN and others). CR does have Kadokowa for now, but like Funi's deal with Gonzo, it may only be temporary.

Sentai almost always gets the TBS shows every season. Combine that with the number of shows that we know of that they still have to release, and any titles they haven't announced yet or are still negotiating, and they will have plenty to work with for a while.

But ultimately, it will end up coming down to whoever offers the most money for a specific show. The big downside I see in all of this is that more companies competing for home video rights, in addition to streaming rights is going to drive up licensing fees even more. Factor in large companies like Netflix and Amazon also jumping on the bandwagon, and prices could rise to the point that titles start becoming unprofitable.

I'm a little nervous, as we've already heard reports of licensing costs soaring out of control, and this may only worsen the situation. We've already seen both Funimation and Sentai scale back a bit on the titles they acquire each season. Sentai also scaled back a bit on the number of shows it dubs, and higher licensing costs could be a big reason for that.

Competition is generally a good thing. But I can't help but wonder how many companies the R1 market can handle. The last time we had this many companies distributing anime, and new companies jumping in, the market wasn't able to support all the releases. We ended up with Viz, Funimation, reborn ADV (via Sentai), and Media Blasters (albeit a shadow of its former self), as the only significant survivors. I don't want to see a repeat of that.

maybe they'll dub it in each region? maybe they'll dub it altogether in all regions like if Steve Blum and Chris Sabat did an anime together of Josh Grelle working with Kate Higgins or Clifford Chapin working with Laura Bailey or Austin Tindle with Travis Willingham or Colleen Clinkenbeard with Yuri Lowenthal or Jason Liebrecht fighting with Dave Wittenberg or Jerry Jewell with Michelle Ruff or John Swasey, Richard Epcar, and Jamieson Price in a role together as warriors or Mob Bosses.
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:24 am Reply with quote
Is it possible CR will release either Re:life, Orange, or Bungo Stray Dogs or perhaps all three on BD/DVD? Since I know Bungo is Kadokawa I'm hoping that would mean it would be eligible for home release.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:46 am Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Is it possible CR will release either Re:life, Orange, or Bungo Stray Dogs or perhaps all three on BD/DVD? Since I know Bungo is Kadokawa I'm hoping that would mean it would be eligible for home release.

Bungou is made by Studio Bones so it's likely going to be dubbed by FUNImation .
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:50 am Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
MatrixGravity wrote:

Bungou is made by Studio Bones so it's likely going to be dubbed by FUNImation .

Is that even possible? I was under the impression that Funimation does not license anime for home release unless they also have the streaming rights. Has Funi ever acquired home rights exclusively for a show?
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Funi is first and foremost a home video company; they're far more likely to refuse a streaming license without a home video option than the other way around.
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:39 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Funi is first and foremost a home video company; they're far more likely to refuse a streaming license without a home video option than the other way around.

That makes sense. I would love it if Funi acquired the home rights but what if Sentai gets the home rights to Bungo instead? Isn't Sentai usually quick to grab shows that Funi doesn't get streaming rights to? I hope Sentai doesn't get the rights cause I'm not really a fan of their releases when it comes to packaging and artwork, but that's just me.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
Polycell wrote:

That makes sense. I would love it if Funi acquired the home rights but what if Sentai gets the home rights to Bungo instead? Isn't Sentai usually quick to grab shows that Funi doesn't get streaming rights to? I hope Sentai doesn't get the rights cause I'm not really a fan of their releases when it comes to packaging and artwork, but that's just me.

Bungou Stray Dogs is made by Studio Bones. it's likely to be dubbed by FUNImation.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
Bungou Stray Dogs is made by Studio Bones. it's likely to be dubbed by FUNImation.

Studios rarely have anything to do with that. The important companies are the ones who hold international rights to shows. Bungo Stray Dogs has rights owned by Kadokawa, who partnered with Crunchyroll in April, so it's likely they'll dub/release that themselves.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:

i'd rather they work with all regions minus New York and maybe have each VA from all regions working together on every anime to give them an identity.

Actually, I was just thinking about the physical discs and their quality as opposed to dubs, but as far as dubs go, I would imagine they'll go with a single existing dub house. Spreading the work around just to have a variety sounds expensive. And why not NY, cost or do you not like the actors there?
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Well, that is surprising since it seemed like they were comfortable with their current model. As others stated, we'll have to wait and see what the effects are, but I have to think that it isn't great for Sentai since the process of having the home video rights for shows that streamed on CR might end soon.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
For the time being, I think Sentai is in good shape. Down the line if CR starts doing a lot more physical releases, they may well get first crack at hot titles they stream as part of a package deal, but they won't be shelling out for home video rights for everything they stream, so at least Sentai will have something to work with. Unless CR is in the habit of getting both streaming and dvd/bd rights for all its titles and then subcontracting Sentai and sitting on the rest, Sentai's relationship isn't with CR, it's with the licensors. I'm probably wrong, but I think CR normally licenses the stream and Sentai licenses the home video it likes (except where CR got both and held on to them in anticipation of this). Funi has it's own streaming portal, so it buys the package.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:49 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
CR does have Kadokowa for now, but like Funi's deal with Gonzo, it may only be temporary.

The current deal is for one year.

These days you can count on any deal being "temporary", either in that it is for a specific term, after which it may or not be renewed, or it has no specific end but can be terminated by one or both parties at will after a certain period. I believe the companies in Japan learned the mistake of eternal contracts (or more specifically, licenses) back in the 70's.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12