• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Dub, Release Anime on BD/DVD

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatrixGravity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:18 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
Bungou Stray Dogs is made by Studio Bones. it's likely to be dubbed by FUNImation.

Studios rarely have anything to do with that. The important companies are the ones who hold international rights to shows. Bungo Stray Dogs has rights owned by Kadokawa, who partnered with Crunchyroll in April, so it's likely they'll dub/release that themselves.

But does the CR/Kadokawa partnership encompass home media rights as well? Cause the original announcement stated that it was just for streaming rights. I hope you're right though.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Cosmic Luffy wrote:

i'd rather they work with all regions minus New York and maybe have each VA from all regions working together on every anime to give them an identity.

Actually, I was just thinking about the physical discs and their quality as opposed to dubs, but as far as dubs go, I would imagine they'll go with a single existing dub house. Spreading the work around just to have a variety sounds expensive. And why not NY, cost or do you not like the actors there?

by single existing dub house do you mean each region? because having it to one company is annoying unless you're maybe Canada. New York hasn't made a good dub even if it's not from 4Kids.
Cosmic Luffy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:49 am Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
ultimatemegax wrote:
Cosmic Luffy wrote:
Bungou Stray Dogs is made by Studio Bones. it's likely to be dubbed by FUNImation.

Studios rarely have anything to do with that. The important companies are the ones who hold international rights to shows. Bungo Stray Dogs has rights owned by Kadokawa, who partnered with Crunchyroll in April, so it's likely they'll dub/release that themselves.

But does the CR/Kadokawa partnership encompass home media rights as well? Cause the original announcement stated that it was just for streaming rights. I hope you're right though.

it might still be with FUNImation.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
MatrixGravity wrote:
I'd imagine Crunchyroll would have an option on home video rights, but you're right it may not have been thought of when the deal was struck.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Very interesting news.

I wonder who they are going to use to make their dubs. Glad that Kabaneri and the new Berserk are among the initial selection.

spoiler[The next big question will be pricing. Even though I expect it I hope they don't go with AoA/PC's Japanese-like pricing. I already can't even afford some of the stuff I want given their prices since I also want shows from the other publishers who have better prices.]

Cosmic Luffy wrote:
New York hasn't made a good dub even if it's not from 4Kids.

Huh? NYAV did some good dubs when not stuck with 4Kids and especially the new, modern incarnation of NYAV that uses VAs from both coasts has been doing a great job. For example, the Gundam Unicorn series dub is fantastic as are the Gundam Origin dubs so far.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Cosmic Luffy wrote:

by single existing dub house do you mean each region? because having it to one company is annoying unless you're maybe Canada. New York hasn't made a good dub even if it's not from 4Kids.

I mean one company, but I presume most dub houses are just in one region. Like how sentai uses the same company (or it least it sounded like it when I watched some dub shows on TAN). Re: NY, ah I see, well I don't really watch dubs, so I can't comment on their specific quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 12 of 12