• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Publisher Denies Rumors of One Piece Going to Monthly Serialization

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:12 pm Reply with quote
TheRahi00"[quote="bleachj0j wrote:

This. He pretty much talked about it every single week. But people still think that they have the right to call him whatever they want.

Some optimistic HxH fans already accepted Togashi saying "My back seriously hurts" and "It's seriously a chronic etc"...Most internet-capable people already knew it's chronic but how bad is it, and what kind of chronic disease or what stage and why can't nowadays treatment cure him. Disclosing vague informations like that is a lot worse than not saying anything at all.
GVman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Look, Togashi decided years ago that he was going to make manga on his own terms (check out his doujin Yoshirin de Pon! for more info), and the man is actually doing it in one of the most cutthroat magazines in the industry because he sells so damn much. That's impressive, especially when you consider the fact that the man hardly uses any assistants.

I don't see why he's beholden to give the exact details of his disease; he doesn't have to report every single minor bowel movement to his. However. I also don't give a damn. More creators should be able to follow Togashi's lead instead of killing themselves to pump out a chapter each week, Oda included.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:30 pm Reply with quote
First time I've heard of this. If it was true that would make the anime even more slower paced Confused
Jalil49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
well if One Piece entered a monthly release it would probably spell the end of the anime as odds are that would catch up to the manga within the month assuming no fillers.

and regarding Hunter X Hunter they might as well call it Hiatus X Hiatus
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:14 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
First time I've heard about this rumor. People overreacting, Oda takes these one week breaks so that the editors are making sure they DON'T get another Hiatus x Hiatus. Wouldn't you want to protect your investments as much as possible, even if it might inconvenience some people in the short term? I've gotten used to getting these breaks here and there, as long as Oda can be effective and not land himself in the hospital like the last time, plus not give us a three to four week delay, then I'm very cool with it. It'd be a crying shame to invest almost fifteen years of my life on a great manga series and then not being able to find out what happens in the end because the author has to take a prolonged hiatus, or much worse.

Agreed. Oda isn't getting any younger and people need to take his health into consideration. Who knows, maybe having some extra time (and rest) will help him come up with more stuff. Personally, I'll take quality over quantity any day.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:56 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
Oda definitely deserves the kindest of treatment since he works hard for us, fans. Unlike someone, *cough x cough* who can't even disclose the exact illness and information about what he's going through. More power to Oda!

Togashi has spina bifida. It's not an illness, it's a disorder. He got out of surgery a year ago after having a metal rod inserted in his back.

Try working a weekly comics schedule with that kind of daily agony.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:08 am Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Saku-dono wrote:
Oda definitely deserves the kindest of treatment since he works hard for us, fans. Unlike someone, *cough x cough* who can't even disclose the exact illness and information about what he's going through. More power to Oda!

Togashi has spina bifida. It's not an illness, it's a disorder. He got out of surgery a year ago after having a metal rod inserted in his back.

Then he should go monthly and stop jammin a spot in WSJ with his hiatus riddled manga. Regardless of if his Body is truthfully Failing him or he's making excuses for his own laziness it's ridiculous that his series has been allowed to stay in a WEEKLY magazine whe it's been on hiatus almost as much as it's been printed.

I don't read HXH I don't really have a stake in this thing, but as an outsider observer Togashi looks like one of a few things, either he's lazy and making excuses, or he's really sick and so delusional that he thing he can possibly work on a weekly release.

Either way he's stringing fans along when there seems like a much simpler solution in going monthly, or even pull a D.Gray Man and do large Quayerly releases.
KilluaX3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
Togashi said he ran 1km in 10 minutes in his prime. He has never been okay.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:22 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

Then he should go monthly and stop jammin a spot in WSJ with his hiatus riddled manga. Regardless of if his Body is truthfully Failing him or he's making excuses for his own laziness it's ridiculous that his series has been allowed to stay in a WEEKLY magazine whe it's been on hiatus almost as much as it's been printed.

I don't read HXH I don't really have a stake in this thing, but as an outsider observer Togashi looks like one of a few things, either he's lazy and making excuses, or he's really sick and so delusional that he thing he can possibly work on a weekly release.

Either way he's stringing fans along when there seems like a much simpler solution in going monthly, or even pull a D.Gray Man and do large Quayerly releases.

With the way things have been going for the last several years, fans should be used to the fact that he'll be on hiatus for a long time and then release chapters. At this point fans should be thankful that he's even able to release chapters. HxH stays in WSJ because the editors at Shueisha know that that is where it will make them money. HxH is synonymous with WSJ just as much as One Piece, imagine you trying to say the same thing with One Piece.

I had the same opinion as you have now when this all started happening years ago. Now I'm of the opinion that fans and readers of the series should take a little slow and give him some breathing room. You already know that this happens EVERY time he comes back, so why worry about it now? My hope is that his wife is helping him out at least some of the time, but perhaps maybe he uses this time to also try and get ahead a bit in the story. As most people know, manga artists are usually so many chapters ahead of what's actually printed in current issues.

Since with Togashi anything goes, just pray that he can get and stay healthy for the periods he needs to finish what he started. And let him spend time with his family too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somewhere

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:15 am Reply with quote
HxH doesn't really take up a spot like other series do, since you can basically expect ~1 volume's worth of chapters each time. You slide in the batch whenever. Then you either live with printing a thicker magazine for a short while, or you have it take up one of the slots while knowing that it's gonna be freed up soon anyway (like within a cancellation round or two).

(for what it's worth, I lean towards the theory that Togashi's not on a regular schedule; that he works at his own pace and Shueisha just runs a batch whenever they can)
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:09 pm Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
Togashi said he ran 1km in 10 minutes in his prime. He has never been okay.

I overlooked this comment, and yes that is not a good run at all. That's like running a 15-16 minute mile. Back when I was in high school I was able to run 23:30 on a 5K at my peak, and I run about ten minutes a mile right now because I let myself go on the eating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Hawkmonger wrote:

Typical reader (or in your case, none) entitlement. Togashi owes no one, his release scheduled and format is between him and the editors, it's no one else's business what so ever, no one else has a stake and no one else has a right to uninformed opinion.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:42 am Reply with quote
C'mon guys

If people can wait for George R. R. Martin, everyone can wait for anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2