• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, July 4-10

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:44 am Reply with quote
After what felt like an eternity...Boruto domination is here.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:05 am Reply with quote
Kiznaiver continues to fail hardcore.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:16 am Reply with quote
I see people have nothing to contribute or insight to add here besides stating the clearly and eminently observable so I suppose I'll do the same. Movies aimed at a more mainstream general audience like Naruto, Despicable Me, Girls und Panzer, Tangled and Yo-Kai Watch clearly do a whole hell of a lot better than late night TV anime schlock volumes.

Just kidding, here's the followup part where I personalize a post Shocked with a little individual observation and sarcasm. Ahem...gee I wonder just how that could possibly be? Hmmm....perhaps this means the industry should further double down on it's random weird late night anime commercials aimed at very specific niche demographics and more of the kinds of ideas that are yielding ever diminishing returns. Clearly that's the answer and the direction the industry must follow.

In all honesty the only thing the industry seems to be doing right now that strikes me as a logical move is to invest more in film. Right now though this just seems to mean taking things that have been on TV and been "successful" and making movies out of them, but hey you know Japan, conservative and unwilling to make a big and probably necessary refocusing on formats at any speed quicker than the pace of a snail making an uphill journey. Personally I think they could stand to be making more one hour OVA projects like what has been happening with UC Gundam of late, but that's like literally one company that even seems remotely interested in doing that sort of thing anymore. I mean it is a little retro in a way isn't it and this industry is so cutting edge and modern now.

Alright enough bitter sarcasm for one night. Boy did the recent TV season for anime stink worse than usual for recent times and it seems for the most part even Japan knew it too when they chose to support the sorts of movies with 5 and six digit numbers and respectable box office pulls that you see here instead. That's my overall takeaway from these trends this month.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:06 am Reply with quote
You can lend some of Gundam's success with the mass of OVAs to one of the more venerable sci-fi franchises on the planet. They have the staying power to make silly shows and serious ones within the same franchise. I do hope more people lead by example from them, but frankly not many are willing to invest in new IPs for the strong OVA opening. We had Aniplex give that a spin with Katanagatari some years back, and that hardly ever gets a stateside nod. Still, I do get tired of shelling out once for a whole season and then once more for a single OVA tacked onto the end 'for funsies.' I guess WuG went the other way and started it out with a movie, but they got chewed up in the blender of the idol wars! I guess if you're banking on your idol's appeal coming from soul crushing industry realism people won't buy in!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:08 am Reply with quote
I thought everyone loved Trigger, from their Gainax origins, from Kill La Kill, and from Little Witch Academia. Or are those not as popular in Japan as they are here? Or is Kiznaiver really that bad?

It's funny how a month or two ago we got sales numbers that showed anime sales on the rise, yet this season has been a complete bust for the most part.
RitsuLaw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:13 am Reply with quote
Damn, those Kiznaiver numbers are depressing. I hope at least the OP/ED cds sold well. Sad
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:58 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:
I see people have nothing to contribute or insight to add here besides stating the clearly and eminently observable so I suppose I'll do the same. Movies aimed at a more mainstream general audience like Naruto, Despicable Me, Girls und Panzer, Tangled and Yo-Kai Watch clearly do a whole hell of a lot better than late night TV anime schlock volumes.

The thing to remember as well is that movies do tend to sell more copies, but they also have a much longer running time, are generally more expensive to create overall, and are sold at much, much cheaper prices than TV anime.

Lets take for example Girls und Panzer. The movie is an absolute massive hit with sales, with Oricon having it at just over 215,000 copies sold split between DVD, BD LE, and BD RE editions. The large majority of sales were the BD LE, with an MSRP of around 10,500 yen. With 120 minutes runtime for the film, that comes to around 87.5 yen per minute of main feature animation (the movie also came with a 15 minute OVA but I won't be counting extras to keeps things simple). The TV anime, on the other hand, has averaged just over 47,000 copies sold split between DVD, initial BD, and the 2015 BD re-release with an MSRP of around 7,500 yen. With around 50 minutes of runtime for the two episodes on each volume, that comes to around 150 yen per minute of main feature animation (again, no extras included).

So while the GuP movie sold much higher than the average of the TV anime, when you add up all 6 volumes together not only does it dwarf the movie sales at around 282,000 discs sold, but it's also a release where consumers are paying much more for each minute of feature animation.

If you only look at the big overall numbers then you can miss some of this stuff. Though yes, of course, late-night anime has long been an industry supported by tentpole series, while being burdened by a lot of series that do poorly in terms of discs sold.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
I thought everyone loved Trigger, from their Gainax origins, from Kill La Kill, and from Little Witch Academia. Or are those not as popular in Japan as they are here? ...

Pretty much. If there's one studio who's taste might match Western tastes, it's them. In good and bad. Does Little Witch Academia even have any noticeable following in Japan?

Quote:
It's funny how a month or two ago we got sales numbers that showed anime sales on the rise, yet this season has been a complete bust for the most part.

I have a gut feeling sales are declining across the board, with those numbers explained by the few odd outliers and sheer volume increase of produced animation. We'll see what story the coming seasons sales will tell...
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:09 am Reply with quote
Oh, man...Kiznaiver is really having it rough... Sad Perhaps the art style of the show just wasn't to the taste of most viewers...
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Razor/Edge wrote:
I thought everyone loved Trigger, from their Gainax origins, from Kill La Kill, and from Little Witch Academia. Or are those not as popular in Japan as they are here? ...

Pretty much. If there's one studio who's taste might match Western tastes, it's them. In good and bad. Does Little Witch Academia even have any noticeable following in Japan?

This is more or less true. Kill La Kill was popular and people know Trigger, but they aren't as huge there as they are here, that's for sure. LWA is only as big as it is because of international money via kickstarter too. On the other hand, it does have a following. The Blu-rays for LWA sold over 3k, which, these days, is not bad at all. Especially considering that the OVAs were fully funded and profitable before the Blu-ray was even released.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Oh, man...Kiznaiver is really having it rough... Sad Perhaps the art style of the show just wasn't to the taste of most viewers...

I think it was more the narrative. The art-style wasn't strange enough to scare people away and the show as a whole looked damn good. People bought Tatami Galaxy, Ping Pong, and Katanagatari, after all. This is about as normal as anime gets, visually, in comparison to those guys.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1