• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toei Reveals Tiger Mask W Anime's Promo Video, Staff, Fall Premiere

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:32 am Reply with quote
This promo looks bad even by Toei standarts. Oh well, since it's TV series, I hope actual animation will look at least at Kindaichi's level.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:35 am Reply with quote
That was exactly my first thought - "Even for Toei, this looks cheap." Maybe I'll watch if it's dubbed, but not high on my priority list.
A Man named RJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:48 pm Reply with quote
This looks just like an unfinished Promo. Chances are only the promo art is really available, and they tweened the assets in After effects.

Im also REALLY loving the approach to Line-work, and line weight on this show. it gives the series more character. One Piece 3D2Y's special had this, as well as One-punch Man and Mob Psycho 100. I Guess this is the style we can expect from the late 2010's into the early 2020's for anime since it seems to be catching on thanks in part to Attack on Titan - which helped popularize ultra thick line-work.

Since it's a TV Asashi Show, and not a Fuji TV show, Im expecting some good things from Toei on it.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 5:48 pm Reply with quote
A Man named RJ wrote:
This looks just like an unfinished Promo. Chances are only the promo art is really available, and they tweened the assets in After effects.

Exactly. Anyone who's putting down the animation after watching a trailer that had literally only about 3 seconds worth of it is just looking to diss the product in the first place. I know that Toei get a lot of flak when it comes to animation, but being down on something like this is just pathetic.

Anyway, this anime immediately has my interest for a few reasons. First, the plot sounds both interesting due to the dual leads concept (which is obviously going off of the creation of Black Tiger for legit promotions) as well as being true to the idea of the original Tiger Mask. That live-action movie turning Tiger Mask into a transforming hero completely misunderstood who Tiger Mask was, while this new anime seems like it knows what to be in order to be Tiger Mask.

The other reason is due to some of the staff involved, which shows promise. Toshiaki Komura directing is giving me good vibes, since I enjoyed the Ultimate Muscle anime back in the day & the Ring ni Kakero 1 anime is an utterly ignored gem (he & his staff's work for Season 3 was especially great). Katsuhiko Chiba being in charge of writing is also promising, as I've heard nothing but praise for Baby Steps & Rune Soldier, which he was head writer for both. Finally, Junichi Hayama being specifically in charge of the action animation is outstanding, as he's a more than experienced animator, having worked on anime like Fist of the North Star & the pre-TV JoJo OVAs, so I'm hoping for some really cool in-ring action.

I was intrigued with Tiger Mask W before, but now I'm excited for it.
Sobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Twisted Evil More ikemen for Tumblr and Pixiv to molest while they "grapple" each other. It's been a while since we got a real wrestling anime.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:37 am Reply with quote
There's something I'm wondering about. Is anyone going to even attempt to bring this to North America? The original series never appeared in the U.S. or Canada although it did appear elsewhere. If they are,why? Most people here aren't that familiar with "Tiger Mask" as they would be elsewhere.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1