• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Magical Girl Raising Project (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I could be wrong, but I get the sense that The Ruler will turn out to be a more sympathetic character than she currently seems. I don't really have anything to back that up, just an instinct. Maybe it's because she does seem invested in making sure everyone in her group survives. Yes, I guess you can make the argument that having minions increases her power (and thus chances of surviving) but I think it goes deeper than that. I wonder what her power is?

By the same token, I think that Top Speed might not be quite as benign as currently portrayed. Time will tell.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Count me in with the "Favorite Show This Season Club" Anime hyper

FenixFiesta wrote:
I am enjoying the character development, the issue is that the writing is likely on the predictable side, Ruler and her gang are going to pull off the heist on Snow White and Sou is going to have to make an ultimate sacrifice.

That's too predictable though....and don't forget that Rule-bitch's gang is somewhat unreliable. The twins are stupid and Tama is timid and weak-willed.

I think something else will happen...like Tama backing out at the last second or something.

Is anyone shocked that Nemu was 24.....!?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Is anyone shocked that Nemu was 24.....!?

If they had established her character a bit more than "the first victim" it would be intriguing in a magical "girl" series even more so than a boy that transforms into a girl.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Oh, she was established more than simply "the first victim." Obviously, since she was basically only around for one episode, there wasn't a ton of time to get to know her but even in that short span we found out that she was basically a shut-in who was thinking of getting back out into the world. The fact that she could enter other people's dreams was fitting because she was clearly what my mother would call a "dreamer's delight" herself - somebody who lived very much in her own head. Like a lot of modern shut-ins, she did have an active social life of sorts, but it was a virtual one instead of a RL. We got the sense that she was a gentle, decent person. All in all, I thought the show did a pretty decent job of making us like her in a pretty short time span.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
All in all, I thought the show did a pretty decent job of making us like her in a pretty short time span.

A little too well, at that. Anime cry

Found a light novel spoiler on Nemurin

spoiler[ Though she lost her life in the real world, it seems she was able to linger on a bit more in the dream one, still hopping from dream to dream and bringing peace.]
This is good. :3

Daaaaaamn the ED single doesn't come out until Novemberrrrrrr DX

Have to make do with the TV edit version until then...Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:39 pm Reply with quote
^
Fellow softie.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Depends on the character, Blood. :p

Nemurin was really too cute; a precious cinnamon roll too good for this ugly world. lol

You should see all the fanart of her on pixv. She is incredibly popular, considering she got half an episode.....people just adore her.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 am Reply with quote
This week after the ED started I suddenly realised that it was being sung by Nano, which I tend to be a pretty big fan of her songs, she also done work in Btooom, Arpeggio, Magical Warfare, and M3. They not always the best anime, but they get good songs.

I actually quite like Ruler, because it feels clear that despite her kind of mean personality she actually seems to be looking out for her group, and it makes her interesting. Her insistence on insulting the intelligence of others has me thinking that she is doing it out of frustration, that it is possible that someone (or a number of people) have called her stupid and the like and with this character it makes her act out like this. The rest of her gang are also interesting, I don't dislike them, even twins.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I don't really know why but I am so emotionally distant from this series. When Nemurin died all I noted was how bad the mother's VA sounded, and this week I felt nothing the whole way through - either good or bad. It just kind of happened for 20-something minutes.

Ruler is the only character I find at least partially interesting, but holy cow does she have to hang around with stupid people to stand out. When the rules are as clear as saying "you can trade with someone even if their device's off" that's way too obvious. I thought the show was going for more of a "threat" or "bully" scenario of negotiations, and that Guns Blazing-chan would turn into a "well I can't be last if I'm literally the only one left" corner and get to the first episode's opening point, but I guess a plan where there's a girl who can dig holes and a swimmer against a girl with a really big sword can surprise me.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:18 am Reply with quote
Eh, Ruler got on my nerves....but most female characters who act like that do. lol While she does seem to somewhat care about the girls, she really looks down on them like "poor helpless stupid losers, fine, I will order you around since you can't think for yourselves."

As if they're her infants or pets or something.

You shouldn't treat people like that. :/ I am curious as to why they put up with her abuse. lol
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:27 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
You shouldn't treat people like that. :/ I am curious as to why they put up with her abuse. lol

They talked about her being strong, some protection would be good. But in general the rest of them really are not the most capable, Swim Swim seems instead seems to be the little girl from the dream, Tama does not seem much better, and the twins seem pretty directionless. They probably would not have been able function without her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:16 am Reply with quote
Actually, the fact that The Rulers minions are such a generally pathetic lot might be more proof that she isn't quite the villain she first appears. Yes, you could argue that she's managed to gather the only Magical Girls who would be willing to put up with her guff, but maybe their helplessness is what motivated her to gather them. Mind you, at that time she would not know that there would eventually be a winnowing process (at least, I assume she didn't know, but that might be a future twist). If my theory is right then The Ruler is a tsundere. But... but... Ripple is a "tch" tsundere! Can a show HAVE two tsunderes??? Is that even legal???
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:55 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can a show HAVE two tsunderes??? Is that even legal???

Yuru Yuri actually has a dual tsundere pairing, the two of them actually closes, they are the closest to being an actual couple in a show about yuri, and they are not the only tsundere in the show either. So yes, tsundere all around.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Can a show HAVE two tsunderes??? Is that even legal???

Lol Nisekoi has Chitoge AND Tsugumi so....yes? Anime hyper
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:59 am Reply with quote
Okay, so there is precedent. *whew* Mind you right now The Ruler is still only tsun. The dere part is at this point only hypothetical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19