• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One-Punch Man TV Anime Gets 2nd Season, Game App

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh yeah! I'm hyped!
My husband and I have been loving watching this on Toonami, so it's awesome that there's going to be a second season. Although we won't be watching it for awhile, I'm sure.

Hopefully this will also get dubbed, as we're loving the dub version a lot.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:32 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
It was only a matter of time, but it is good to have confirmation on a second season. I hope Madhouse and all the important creative staff return. I assume the second season will be one cour and could air in Fall 2017.

That staff is actually busy with ACCA 13 right now so if Madhouse gets them back for One Punch Man 2 (which I hope they do because season 1's fight animation was THAT good), we probably won't get a premiere date for a while.
anng16

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:44 pm Reply with quote
So do we have a confirmed release date? Because the only good stopping point would be at the end of MA, which mean the anime will have to come out later until Murata finishes that arc
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
It was only a matter of time, but it is good to have confirmation on a second season. I hope Madhouse and all the important creative staff return. I assume the second season will be one cour and could air in Fall 2017.

That staff is actually busy with ACCA 13 right now so if Madhouse gets them back for One Punch Man 2 (which I hope they do because season 1's fight animation was THAT good), we probably won't get a premiere date for a while.

well, acca airs in january, so the worse and most possible case of them finishing the last episode in march 2 horus before air date mean taht they satrt one punch man in april which gives them 6 months for a fall debut.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm probably the only one, especially considering I AM a big fan of OPM, but this is not something I was really clamoring for personally. Of all the shows that I'd like to see a Madhouse sequel of, OPM needs it the least. It is a stand alone masterpiece and an animation showcase that lasted just long enough to give me everything I wanted, but not long enough to make me bored with the premise. I'm a little worried a sequel is going to do that. At the very least, I hope it is just as phenomenal visually.

Now where is my second season to NGNL and Overlord? Both of those are much more narrative focused series that desperately NEED a continuation to be enjoyable for me(and yes, I know NGNL is getting a movie, that's not really what I want).
LordMaou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
One Puuuuunch. Looking forward to it with Mob now ending as well. Perhaps we will be getting an announcement close to the end of S2 of One Punch Man that Mob Psycho will be getting another season.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
lazydude500 wrote:
I doubt Toonami had any influence in this case. A second season was going to happen at some point even with a sub-par English dub and Toonami ratings that aren't as high as Attack on Titan.

It may have been a factor. OPM's ratings on Toonami have been terrific, it's probably the highest-rated new series on the block since Tian (it's even beaten Dragon Ball's numbers a couple of times) so I know Toonami's been hoping to get more as soon as possible.
Mitrospeed

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm probably the only one, especially considering I AM a big fan of OPM, but this is not something I was really clamoring for personally. Of all the shows that I'd like to see a Madhouse sequel of, OPM needs it the least. It is a stand alone masterpiece and an animation showcase that lasted just long enough to give me everything I wanted, but not long enough to make me bored with the premise. I'm a little worried a sequel is going to do that. At the very least, I hope it is just as phenomenal visually.

Now where is my second season to NGNL and Overlord? Both of those are much more narrative focused series that desperately NEED a continuation to be enjoyable for me(and yes, I know NGNL is getting a movie, that's not really what I want).

One Punch Man barely "is Madhouse". Since the majority of the production is being held by Natsume Shingo and the vast amount of freelancer he brings into the project Madhouse takes more of a backseat role. So no this sequel doesn't really take away from any of your sequel wishes.

The production committee of OPM decided to a sequel whereas the other ones do not seem to have the interest in doing one atm, it's just that simple.
Ulinox

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap! Kampai!!! Mob Psycho 100 is great, but OPM was a beast anime. AoT AND OPM getting second seasons is just fantastic. Hope it comes out soon!
Spawn29

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Very cool news. I like how anime superheroes shows are becoming more popular, but it's too bad the other superhero shows from a few years ago like Tiger & Bunny never got a second season. I love OPM, so I can't wait for season two. I do want a PS4 OPM game and not a mobile game. I think a action beat up game would work.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:41 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm probably the only one, especially considering I AM a big fan of OPM, but this is not something I was really clamoring for personally...It is a stand alone masterpiece and an animation showcase that lasted just long enough to give me everything I wanted, but not long enough to make me bored with the premise

I am kind of the opposite. I had a fun time watching the terrific animation and great moments of levity from the first season. But I almost never connected emotionally with it.

This second season for me is most welcome because I feel that there is potential to do more with the rest of the characters not named Saitana. I am unfamiliar with the source material, but from the stuff in season 1 of the anime, a more interesting story seems to be brewing.

I already consider the One Punch Man anime good to great but to me it needs more content animated to truly become amazing and memorable for me.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Mitrospeed wrote:

One Punch Man barely "is Madhouse". Since the majority of the production is being held by Natsume Shingo and the vast amount of freelancer he brings into the project Madhouse takes more of a backseat role. So no this sequel doesn't really take away from any of your sequel wishes.

Well, yeah, but that's true of most anime productions coming out of Madhouse, or most studios in general. It's their production staff and planning crews, that are going to make the difference. Those are the types of employees that Madhouse, and most studios, are actually made up of, and many of them will be busy with OPM. And there are only so many of them. There are also a very finite number of animators available at any given time. Just because they don't work for Madhouse doesn't mean they are sitting around waiting for a new project. Most of them, especially the good ones, have schedules planned out for months, or sometimes years. If Madhouse can't actually get enough animators, and all of their production staff are busy on other projects, I would say that very clearly has an impact on their ability to produce other shows.

Quote:

The production committee of OPM decided to a sequel whereas the other ones do not seem to have the interest in doing one atm, it's just that simple.

Oh, I know this. And it's why I always sigh when people say a sequel to their favorite hugely popular LN adaptation is "not a matter of 'if', but 'when'." Because more than likely, it isn't going to happen, regardless of how popular it was. If just one person on that production committee decides it's not in their best interests(often the source publisher), it isn't happening. But, that doesn't mean I can't express frustration at the lack of sequels to many shows that could be good with one, but are entirely lacking without one. I'm not a source material guy, I'm an animation fan, so having "go read the source" endings, is always a let down.
Hugh Mungus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely hyped for the second season. I was almost expecting them to just make a non-serial movie instead (which probably would have been still animated beautifully, judging by the first season), but I'm so flippin' glad that they're actually making a season 2.

Though it would've been cool to have a console game instead of a mobile game for One Punch Man. Though it would probably be the easiest game in the world, with a protagonist like Saitama.
Razz
anddo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh man this is huge! Is Madhouse still on board though?
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Cue the naysayers "B-B-But Madhouse doesn't do sequels, like, ever." who think that the studio holds any sway in the decision-making process. A second season to one of last year's best action-comedy shows is most welcome Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5