• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - How Do You Keep Up With So Much Anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:57 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

I've heard about other people using similar methods to watch anime. Personally, I don't get it. If a show is good enough for me to watch, I'm going to watch it at normal speed while paying full attention. If I just wanted the cliff notes version of something, I'd just go find a thread to get exactly that. Otherwise, I want to absorb the animation, the sound, and the story as holistically as possible. In iyashikei shows, which I watch a lot of, it seems particularly counter-intuitive. It is meant to be relaxing and to pull you into its world through atmosphere. I can't imagine that working nearly as well if I'm trying to get to the next plot point as quickly as possible. Not to say your way of watching is wrong, you do you, but I could never do that personally.

Agreed. Skipping around sounds confusing due to lax of context you'll have, and doesn't 2x speed make everyone sound like squeaky chipmunks and ruin the music/pacing? Don't see the appeal in that.

Another method I've heard is people watching dubs so they can play it in the background while doing something else. Basically, removing the core component of a visual medium and ignoring the visuals. Don't get that one either.

-Stuart Smith
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:05 am Reply with quote
I look for stories I know. The other ones... No thanks.
valoon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:40 am Reply with quote
Well I have watched almost 2000 Anime and recognize almost any anime that is posted on ANN. Of course I haven't watched all, but I'm on a good way.
The trick is simple: Watch ANYTHING that comes out in the new season. You will of course have a lot of shows that are really bad, but you will also get shows you expected to be bad but they turn out great! Also the more you watch from the new season, the less anime is left for you to watch to watch'em all Razz
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:20 am Reply with quote
My watching has changed over the past year. For a while I was watching whatever was available, but now I can't keep up with that type of schedule with life happening and all. I will watch the first episodes of some series, if I like them, then I'll stay with them. If not, then I move on. This time around I stuck with only five series, instead of eight from last season. We'll have to see what the fall and winter looks like now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:11 am Reply with quote
I just weed out the bad LN adaptations (I can see them a mile away), non-sports fujoshi geared anime, non-idol or mahou shoujo kids anime, and shorts that really don't appeal to me (or are those kinds that don't even get raws released at the very least), and I end up with around 10-15 anime to watch each season which is just fine and manageable for me.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:29 pm Reply with quote
My method to keep up with all the new anime?

I don't.

In the past two years, I've been able to watch one or two new series as they air in Japan. Prior to this, I wasn't watching anything brand new. Any anime viewing was done either through my university anime club, at a friend's house or at the theater. I prefer to watch anime in a communal setting so I don't make much progress in most things on my own. In fact, I'm behind on Orange and Macross Delta as the friend whom I usually watch anime with went on a journey To Become The Very Best, thanks to me. Confused When I'm by myself, I'm more likely to read manga instead.

If I do watch on my own, it's usually when I'm eating dinner, one episode at a time. Sometimes it's a new show, sometimes it's from my physical backlog, which has slowly been thinning as I sell parts of it off.

Also, I'm more inclined to see if a new show is good before I start it.
nubguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, the best way to navigate all the new anime is to just get a Funimation or Crunchyroll account and actually watch the new episodes as they air. If you don't like the first episode or two, it is probably not your cup of tea. It is actually pretty manageable if you do it that way.

I watched almost every show this last season, at least all the ones that interested me. I think I was watching something like over 15 shows. Lol
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:45 pm Reply with quote
The best way to find series s by looking at the season guides. You can generally find them on any anime website/blog.

My criteria for picking series:

1. Who's making it? When I see a company like Bones, Madhouse, or Sunrise, I know I can at least a top quality product. If the show isn't great, I can at least great production values. Sometimes it just comes down to pure talent. Trigger for instance, is a small studio, but they employ some of the best animators in the industry.

2. What's it about? The best way to find a series is to look at the premise, and see if it is something you'd actually sit through.

3. Is it popular? If you're looking for something new to watch, look at what's taking off. this can backfire, however (Berserk).

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Quote:
How Do You Keep Up With So Much Anime?

The answer is I simply don't care to keep up with so much anime. So each season I choose from the outset 2 maybe 3 series that look promising and that is it. The urge to watch all that is watchable is not for me. Viewing anime has to be a pleasure, not a chore, and certainly not a job. As an old saying goes "too much of anything kills the good in it".

I wonder why fans of animation feel like they have to watch everything. Fans of other mediums like movies only watch a small fraction of the stuff. I guess that's because anime was so small a few decades ago that every true fan had actually watched most of the stuff in existence.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nubguy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
I think that for the people that try to watch all or many of the shows, it's less about it being a chore and something they have to do, and more of like a buffet, where every show is something new and exciting. For me, I watched over 15 shows this season and I enjoyed every single one of them. So I think that the people who are watching all of them are doing so because they really like the shows, and not just out of obligation.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:

I wonder why fans of animation feel like they have to watch everything. Fans of other mediums like movies only watch a small fraction of the stuff. I guess that's because anime was so small a few decades ago that every true fan had actually watched most of the stuff in existence.

I think a big part of it is that, even today, anime is a fairly self-contained medium. If you're talking about films in general, every year you're going to have tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of publicly-released works, in every language under the sun, encompassing everything from a single person working a hand-held digicam to massive Hollywood blockbusters. It's all-but-impossible to accurately catalog all of them, much less investigate a significant percentage of them. In contrast, the animation output of a single country over a single three-month period can be neatly encapsulated into a modest .jpg, and if you're so inclined, you can at least sample all of it, so some people choose to do so. It's kind of comparable of how I feel about MyAnimeList: there are similar sites out there to catalog the books you've read or the games you've played, but I'd never be able to recall all of the examples of either that I've consumed over my lifetime. In contrast, I know exactly when I started watching anime, and my MAL account literally includes every bit of it I've watched thus far.
Paiprince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Watch everything. Why should you be another statistic in the bandwagon of popular anime #6549674? Take pride that you've watched everything including the most obscure and most banal battle toy commercial.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 pm Reply with quote
I love livechart.me:

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2016/tv

You can mark things watch, consider, or skip, and it will disappear the skip ones if you want. It tells when and where they're viewable, their source, studio, synopsis and picture. Basically it's enough for me to weed out shows I know I won't like. Then I at least try the first episode of the rest, and mark the chart as I go as watch or skip.

Then I make a list of each day of the week, which shows are on each day, what time, and where. I usually have 1-3 shows on a day though Fridays to Sundays can be loaded. And then I start watching.

As I watch I notice some shows I need to watch as soon as they come out, and some I let lag because I'd rather be doing something other than watching them. I just drop the latter.

Last season in the end I had one show each on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday; zero on Wednesday; three on Friday; four on Sunday. That was pretty easy to manage.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:19 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I love livechart.me:

https://www.livechart.me/fall-2016/tv

You can mark things watch, consider, or skip, and it will disappear the skip ones if you want. It tells when and where they're viewable, their source, studio, synopsis and picture. Basically it's enough for me to weed out shows I know I won't like. Then I at least try the first episode of the rest, and mark the chart as I go as watch or skip.

I use anichart for that. Which is almost exactly the same thing. But one thing that has been slightly annoying for me the last couple of seasons is that some seasons and shows are not accessible in their database. For example, I can't see anything that was aired in Winter 2016 now, because it is not in the archive yet(which they apparently only update after the year is over). And I also can't see anything that is already scheduled, but is beyond Winter 2017, so anything already set to air in Spring of 2017 is not accessible because it is neither TBA, nor bookmarked. Anyway, that seems to be something Livechart doesn't have an issue with thanks to their pull down seasons. So maybe I'll start using that instead..
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Well I just switched to livechart.me from anichart as well. Filtering out shows you're skipping is definitely helpful. It also seems to have many more links for each show entry, including official website, various listing sites, and streaming sites where applicable. I only used anichart in the beginning of seasons to track what shows are premiering when, and I don't expect that to change with livechart.me but it does seem to be an improvement.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6