• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ViVid Strike! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 am Reply with quote
That was a pretty good fight in general if you count both parts. I did find the transition between the flashback scenes and the present to be a bit repetitive though since we've learned so much about Rinne already from one of the previous episodes.

Either way, grats to Fuuka on winning. I think both girls gave their best in that fight in the end.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Hey, what are a few teeth among friends? Anyway, it seems like Rinne has had some sense pounded into her. Maybe the next episode will be about the girls having a sleep-over, braiding each others hair and talking about the boys they like?

Yeah, I don't think so, either.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A good finale, we really get a sense of how se these characters have grown, more specifically it is Rinne who has opened up and become a healthier person. We did not get to see the last match between Fuuka and Einhard, but in the scope of things it is not very surprising, and really the focus on the show was for Fuuka's relationship with Rinne, so having it as the sort of thing where we cut away before the fight is fine.

Talking about Vivid Strike! in general, I would call it a successful spinoff, and at the very least I would call it noticeably better than Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha ViVid. MGLNV came off of StrikerS, which just did not feel right to go from the high stakes magical military of StrikerS to the low stakes martial arts, which it kind of faced with Vivio taking the reigns after her family situation being a part of the earlier series, which in reflection made StrikerS a favourite of the franchise. But MLNV did not work, it even had Nanoha in the name but her role was not mum who did not really do that much. ViVid Strike though has worked, where simply shifting the focus to this new character, Fuuka, really made it feel like we could connect with her level of stakes. There are some familiar aspects, but the general focus on martial arts made really not much of a need to be a Nanoha fan.

And looking at what Vivid Strike did for itself, it could be darn brutal. The franchise kind of goes back to a young girl under the threat of danger (violence) from the role of a magical girl. VS kind of answered that violence by showing a bloody bout of a girl breaking under the acts of bullies, she was kind of shown as a new Fate to Fuuka's Nanoha. But a small note that these characters are not evil or bad just because they have to be, as with the franchise it has felt to have kept with maybe some bad or stupid things people have done, but they just may not have thought about it or did something they thought was right. Of which I note the part where Rinne was kidnapped when a kid, I actually kind of expected it to be punks that would hold her to be ransomed so they would be unquestionably bad, but instead he was the brother of one of the girls. Bad things were involved like his methods and that his sister essentially lied about what her part was, but as an older brother myself I could connect with a strong reaction to seeing a little sister in pain.

The show in general has kind of kept its sort of retro design, almost everything seems to have a kind of too sweet to it that has been in since the beginning of the franchise. But also has the additions that it has picked up of darker spots that shows that it is not just turning away from suffering. Its little side humour also earned a few chuckles, although not really anything big. Maybe an understated part would be the sports aspect, that I have seen the complaints that a serious girl sport anime is kind of rare, because they kind of just go for cutesy slice of life instead, but the martial arts despite the powers was actually pretty serious. The show could be cute, but when it came to fighting ViVId Strike really pull its punches, that the in-universe explanation of safety mechanisms were kind of seen as a necessity to not have this become something unsettling.

I give this a rating of Good (7/10), not really the best, or incredibly exciting, but it was definitely worth seeing.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
@Dusky Predator, Liked your review there, I found the show to be very good actually and I liked also because its easy to watch with all the strong contrasts and bright colours (I always liked Nanoha's "quintessential otaku anime" visual style). It's in the tradition of boxing manga like Ashita no Joe but this time with mahou shoujo's!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4