• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Impure King Arc Anime Reveals January Premiere, More Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:59 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Lets Pretend the 2nd half of the 1st season didn't happen

Im glad they took this approach

It is the only option they have anyway, considering how off the rails it became.

yappers4 wrote:
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Why did they make an alternate ending in the first place? I can understand if the alternate end is actually good, but why on earth do something so sloppy if in the end you retcon it and decide you'll continue it.

That's actually a huge fail imo

This is one of the problems of having anime while the manga isn't too far ahead to adapt. If I recall, the first half of Blue Exorcist quickly caught up to where the manga was, which was near the beginning of the Impure King arc. Like AoT, Blue Exorcist is a monthly manga. During the time of the first season of Blue Exorcist, 12 or 13 episode seasons of ongoing or popular titles were very rare, almost unthinkable, whereas nowadays it is the norm yet also ambiguous if the anime will have another season afterwards (see Mob Psycho 100 and D.Gray-Man Hallow as good examples).

In addition, they're not entirely sure if the series will continue or not, and it looks like the writers and directors didn't think they would, so they made up their own ending.

gedata wrote:

The adaptation started way too early. The manga hadn't even been around for two years and had just barely 20 chapters. The anime already covered 14 of them by the 15th episode (even with some fillers) and the manga had only just gotten into this arc. They could either continue with pointless filler or write the story differently. Either way it would take a while for there to be enough room for a continuation.

The problem with waiting too long, however, is thar the manga may not be the hot new thing anymore and the ratings and popularity would decrease. You have to strike while the iron's hot. Either that, or wait many years when it's passed beyond "yesterday's news" and into "remember this?"
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:48 pm Reply with quote
TrueZangetsu wrote:
Why did they make an alternate ending in the first place? I can understand if the alternate end is actually good, but why on earth do something so sloppy if in the end you retcon it and decide you'll continue it.

That's actually a huge fail imo
they probably didn't expect to go back to Blue exorcist at any point before this, which would explain why they went the anime original route in the first place. spoiler[hell in the movie Yukio didn't have his demon powers so they probably pretend the ending didn't happen already]
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Let me see if I understood the thing:

Supposedly, the filler episodes were placed at a point where the characters were training to be exorcists, but in the filler, they feel like if they had 2 years of experience on it. Also, it feels like it threw revelations that should have been for later in the story. Is it that how the fillers actually are PEOPLE? I wanna know

The purists are so blinded in their "this didn´t happen in the manga" argument that they don´t explain to people like me that didn´t watch the anime but want to watch it, how bad are the fillers, so that´s why I am asking you. Thanks
yappers4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:00 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:

Supposedly, the filler episodes were placed at a point where the characters were training to be exorcists, but in the filler, they feel like if they had 2 years of experience on it. Also, it feels like it threw revelations that should have been for later in the story. Is it that how the fillers actually are PEOPLE? I wanna know

The purists are so blinded in their "this didn´t happen in the manga" argument that they don´t explain to people like me that didn´t watch the anime but want to watch it, how bad are the fillers, so that´s why I am asking you. Thanks

For as much hate fillers often get (possibly thanks to Naruto), the second half of Blue Exorcist fillers/anime original story wasn't bad at all, but it also wasn't outstanding or mediocre. My best suggestion is watch it and take it as a stand alone story. My biggest gripe with the second half is spoiler[how easily Rin's friends accept that he is the son of Satan where in the manga they were more hesitant and hostile to accept Rin as who he is.]
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:31 am Reply with quote
yappers4 wrote:
SkerllyF wrote:

For as much hate fillers often get (possibly thanks to Naruto), the second half of Blue Exorcist fillers/anime original story wasn't bad at all, but it also wasn't outstanding or mediocre. My best suggestion is watch it and take it as a stand alone story. My biggest gripe with the second half is spoiler[how easily Rin's friends accept that he is the son of Satan where in the manga they were more hesitant and hostile to accept Rin as who he is.]

My big issue was how Satan's relationship with Rin's mother was handled. spoiler[They reveal that Satan loved Rin's mother,] which contradicts how psychotic he was when he possessed Fujimoto and specifically said he never cared about him or his mother. Another problem is Yukio spoiler[getting demon powers]. Sure, in the manga, they're building up to him gaining abilities of his own, but they're not as strong as Rin's. In the first episode, Fujimoto said that Yukio was underdeveloped when he was born, making him unable to access his powers.

Another problem was how everybody besides Rin and Yukio got shafted in the character development department. Ryuji and Renzo were one-note, Konekomaru and Takara were just kind of there, Shiemi never developed past her useless phase, and Izumo had nothing done with her backstory, not even anything anime original. Izumo's problem in particular annoyed me because her backstory in the manga was incredibly tragic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2