• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lostorage incited WIXOSS (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:11 am Reply with quote
Ok, I just got to catch Wixoss Destructed, the ending makes it clear that the old system has ended (just like in the original series) some of the scenes were edited in different positions to have slightly different contextual meaning.
spoiler[
Ruko in Destructed is slightly different, it can be taken that she is a bit more of a "Polyanna" and can see the light in every situation, this creates more of a reasonable means to why Ruko never originally had a wish.
Ulith is now hinted to have a similar trait in that she can see the light in all situations, but this disgusts her to no end and finds every waking moment unquestionably believing every person is some sort of hypocrite on some sort of angle.

Had Destructed concluded with Ultith arising to become a new dark goddess of the game, it would be an overly convenient means to why Lostorage scenario is pretty messed up.
However, Ulith seems to have the case of being" cursed" to be placed among the living and in place of embracing oblivion and being "proven right" about how disgusting humanity is, her childhood friend made one final wish to ensure she wouldn't die alone.

The conclusion is still somewhat ambiguous, is Ulith truly not evil, is it instead the first step of her returning to her original body, but in the end regardless the movies narrative does not hint that the "Wixoss games will continue".

Though if Ulith has returned to the land of "normal people" she would certainly be one to pick up Wixoss again to torment people through ripping apart dreams with a card game.]
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Ep 5
... damn it, I have to reconsider the "book keeper is Ulith" theory as a viewer.

Hanna's staccato style of speech is getting to be endearing for my experience, but just as well winning might not be a complete "gain" so we won't see what this tournaments "victory" is until we cross that bridge, and in wixoss land even when you win, something is lost.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Harsh. Suzuko encounters the new, unimproved Chi-chan and finds out that her friend feels trapped by having to live up to the image Suzuko has of her. And not just her, but with Soccer Dude, too. I guess the show is saying that Suzuko needs to become her own person and not use other people as crutches to be what she thinks she should be. Chi-chan is still a huge bitch, however. Although in fairness, she's had some hard knocks. Still, I'm a firm believer that adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it. Chi-chan has revealed that when the chips are down, she's a beeyotch.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

Ugh, when is Chi-chan going to stop being such a bitch? Can't happen too soon for my liking. Anyway, there's been a question that has been bugging me and maybe somebody out there can answer it for me. When a Selector makes a "coin bet" they are using up one of their coins, right? If they win that battle do they get that coin back? If they don't, then I don't see the advantage of making a coin bet. You use a coin, win the battle, but then you are right back to where you were before the battle. To me, a coin bet only makes sense if you think you are going to lose, then at least it's a way to not be down a coin if you win.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you'd think that if you bet a coin you'd lose 2 (or more) if you lost. But there's been no indication that that is the case.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7

Chi-chan is a bitch. That is all. Oh, plus, this is not a great season for characters called Sou-chan.
kgw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I also wonder... If you lose a coin, you also lose a part of your memories, but if you win, you got them back, or you simply keep the memories you already have?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:23 pm Reply with quote
It's a good question and I don't believe the show has addressed that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Episode 9

This was a rough episode.
It really started with some acknowledgement of the first series (first two seasons), kind of just filling in people who have not seen them a couple things that people who have been thinking for a while. Also got some story about Piriluk, who had a minor role in the first series, and as I read and found out about last week, had was the main character of a novel.

Where rough stuff came in was seeing an LRIG inside a girl met earlier so unable to deal with being the body of her Selector that she straights up commits suicide. And Hanna found out/remembered that she had responsibility in the death of her brother, that it was a memory best left untouched. It is a little vague, and maybe why as a child she trouble piecing it all together. It looked like she foolishly took him to play in a construction area, something may have happened to him for him not to respond but rather than see it as a warning sign she thought that he just left, and in response she went home and was just playing. As much as it likely left a scar on her psyche, digging it up could have a dramatic effect.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Also got some story about Piriluk, who had a minor role in the first series, and as I read and found out about last week, had was the main character of a novel.

Not a novel: it's a manga spin-off called Peeping Analyze. I checked it out a long while back and enjoyed it, so I was pleasantly surprised to actually get to see bits of it animated. Was kind of hoping when we saw Kiyoi at the beginning that they would touch on her story a bit, and it was looking more likely in the previous episode when she appeared with an LRIG that seemed like a Peeping Analyze reference. There's a bit of intrigue for me in that LRIG's appearance and what exactly they covered in today's Lostorage episode. spoiler[They show what happened with the girl, Ayumi, who originally befriended Kiyoi: got in a critical condition after an accident and ended up having her life support removed by Kiyoi's LRIG Remember (in Kiyoi's body) after Kiyoi became an Eternal Girl. Later on in the manga, though, Piruluk's final selector is a girl, Amika, who looks a lot like Ayumi but has her side ponytail on the other side of her hair. Lostorage Piruluk has a side ponytail that looks more like Amika's. But the part of the story about Amika wasn't mentioned at all this episode. Amika and Kiyoi had an ending that was pretty happy, so if this series is taking the whole of the manga as canon, there's now a big question as to just what may have happened with her since then. I'm rather curious to see if they will answer that.]

My fascination with Kiyoi/Piruluk aside, also really curious what happens now with Hanna and Suzuko's connection after the big shock for Hanna. Things are getting even darker than I expected (certainly didn't expect the suicide scene).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I've gotten confused over the rules, again. I thought that once you had your five gold coins, your Selector took over your body? That's what happened to the suicide girl, right? She was a Lrig whose Selector won five gold coins, so she took over and tried living as a human? If that's the case, why is Hanna still herself?
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Okay, I've gotten confused over the rules, again. I thought that once you had your five gold coins, your Selector took over your body? That's what happened to the suicide girl, right? She was a Lrig whose Selector won five gold coins, so she took over and tried living as a human? If that's the case, why is Hanna still herself?

The LRIG takes over the body only if the Selector LOSES their last coin. This girl was Kagari. She lost her last coin in a match against Hanna at the end of episode 3, and her LRIG Yukime took over her body. So it's Yukime in her body who commits suicide here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that makes sense. But it does raise a different question. We've seen Selectors who have lost five coins basically become zombie like. One of them is that dude who "works" for Satomi. I don't get the sense his body was taken over by his former Lrig.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Ah, that makes sense. But it does raise a different question. We've seen Selectors who have lost five coins basically become zombie like. One of them is that dude who "works" for Satomi. I don't get the sense his body was taken over by his former Lrig.

The guy who had a really harsh language lost all his coins and now works for the bookkeeper, his personality is really meek now, which is the way his LRIG was. Some of the confusion is that the rules are somewhat backwards to before, where earlier winning would have their body taken over by the LRIG, and losing scarred their mind. Hanna herself has ended up scarred from winning and remembering what happened, which puts this all back into the no win situation.

LRIG's don't actually want to be human, and it is probably built in to pervert the wishes. Perhaps they dislike the human emotions and experience they have forced on them?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I think their attitude is just part of the ethos of the franchise which is, "everything sucks no matter what." I mean we basically find out that the first two seasons did absolutely nothing with respect to this hideous game other than change the mechanics of how you get effed over. Was this written up by the minds behind Gilgamesh or something? Talk about your "no win" situati
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4