• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film Unveils 1st Full 2-Minute Trailer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:00 am Reply with quote
My general reaction was a high "Hmm." It could go either way, but I'm very much intrigued to check it out!
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:

More than just implied, the Major and her two girlfriends had a drug-fueled VR orgy in the original manga.

This was also shown in SAC if I remember right as well. This isn't just pulled out of the hat. Keep in mind too, it appears to fit well with the theme they are hinting at in the trailer that Motoko has lost a sense of connection to humanity. This would just be one of several options Motoko (whether bi-sexual or not) tries to explore to feel alive. It's a theme that's been used before in film and anime to various degrees.

I, personally, like the aesthetics of the trailer. It really shows off the passion they have to make this right. I think what will sink this movie is not the music, not the actors (albeit there are some concerns), not the tone, but the story itself.

GitS was one of the stories that shows off how complex anime and manga can be while still being understandable. It's definitely a high standard to match up to, however the real difficulties will be living up to the already established standard of this franchise in other mediums. Manga and Anime fans, sometimes, can be the hardest people to satisfy, especially when dealing with a popular and well liked series.

The only live action I can recall recently the received, at least, a decent reception was the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy (which I personally enjoyed). I liked the Blood the Last Vampire live action, however it suffered from a somewhat small budget in comparison to a movie like Kenshin or this one.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
The set designers deserve a raise but the rest looks like Æon Flux level rubbish (some of the acting, good god). What has this to do with GitS too...

Me and this film are now though and what the hell have they done to poor Batou Sad .
Watch the current season of Black Mirror or Ex Machina to see what sci-fi for the thinking man needs to loom like. That personal needed to do this film! Or even better a show.
Please be good Blade Runner 2049... you actually have promising people attached.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
The production values in this trailer are much better than I expected. While it might stray from the tone of the original a bit, it does look like they're trying to capture the spirit of it, and are giving it a much better treatment than most could hope for. I'll definitely be watching this in theaters when it releases.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
To those saying that it will be PG-13, there is no way simply by looking at the trailer. Lesbian liplocking would seal the deal itself (sigh, people are so sensitive), but there is clearly blood spurting after Major shoots and obviously tons of nudity. This will be Blade Runner levels of R for sure, and I bet the studios will give the rating a shot after Deadpool and Fury Road.

As for the social commentary, I'm sure they'll do it, hence the "they lied to you" thing at the end. We still don't know enough about the story yet to decide, so we'll have to keep waiting. All I want to see now are the Tachikoma.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
For all the people who are complaining about whitewashing, a movie of this budget would never have been made without an A-list Hollywood actress headlining it. Unfortunately, this is just a fact. Ghost in the Shell does not have the deep cultural penetration of a franchise like Star Wars to cast whoever they want and still turn a profit based on brand recognition alone. Personally, I'm conflicted about the movie. On the one hand, I want the film to do well because it would be a shot in the arm for the anime industry in general. Manga might even get around to putting out some decent GitS: SAC blurays( but probably not). On the other hand, I am not optimistic about the quality of the movie. The director and the screenwriters do not inspire much confidence.
PercivaI

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:30 am Reply with quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGPERcDvio btw this the Opening theme for the movie
Tr1ckR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
PercivaI wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGPERcDvio btw this the Opening theme for the movie

better yet here is the actual video of the opening for the movie, gave me chills Very Happy
https://twitter.com/mikediva/status/797745735148007424

Last edited by Tr1ckR on Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Based on all this, it'll be a half decent action movie at worst, and another Ghost in the Shell at best. It has potential, and I'm glad they're doing their own take on the story and characters. Basically every entry in the franchise has done that, so I don't mind this one doing the same.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Eh, still a wait and see for me. I hope they didn't take out the tanks.

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
PercivaI wrote:
Post removed

Good intentions don't mean anything if the end product is bad. Plenty of directors have said that before and the product ends up being nothing like the source material. It's just marketing. At the end of the day live action adaptions are only for people who refused to watch the anime/cartoon or read the comics/manga because "that's for kids/nerds". Hollywood movies by default do not care about the fans, they care about the casual movie-goer who probably won't even know it's an adaption in the first place.

Ajc228 wrote:
For all the people who are complaining about whitewashing, a movie of this budget would never have been made without an A-list Hollywood actress headlining it. Unfortunately, this is just a fact. Ghost in the Shell does not have the deep cultural penetration of a franchise like Star Wars to cast whoever they want and still turn a profit based on brand recognition alone.

Star Wars is an original movie, not an adaption. Despite the fact it's just a rehash of A New Hope, Ray is not Luke so it's not like they turned Luke into a girl for a remake or anything. Maybe if this movie didn't star Motoko Kusanagi and Section 9 and instead starred an original character in some secret American branch of security it would be compable. If this was just about another group of people in the same universe it would probably get a lot less hate.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:41 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
I'm also worried that no real intelligent commentary from the manga and anime will be carried over.

Well, one would imagine that a return on investment can be secured by Paramount regardless of any cerebral heavy-lifting in the script. At least it will look pleasant enough for those intent on seeing the final result.

PercivaI wrote:

The use or adaptation of Kawai's soundtrack would certainly be some consolation. Has it been confirmed that he will be involved?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
To those saying that it will be PG-13, there is no way simply by looking at the trailer. Lesbian liplocking would seal the deal itself (sigh, people are so sensitive), but there is clearly blood spurting after Major shoots and obviously tons of nudity. This will be Blade Runner levels of R for sure, and I bet the studios will give the rating a shot after Deadpool and Fury Road.

A kiss doesn't make a movie R. I don't think it is obvious there will be much if any nudity. You can also have a fair amount of blood at PG-13. It could be R, but nothing in that trailer itself isn't PG-13.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
@Gemnist CW´s Supergirl has lesbians kissing on camera and a main character decided to out herself last ep. as no man ever managed to sexually satisfy her. It´s also TV-PG. Like´s let´s say Frozen, Shrek or The Simpsons. Don´t expecting to see Under the Skin here (Johansson can 100% act, if she is in the right film and it´s 12+ here, lol). There would be a red band trailer attached too.
Suicide Squad had on screen torture, Taken featured sexual slavery of teenagers, and The Impossible had bare breasts. All are PG-13. The MPAA may be a broken mess but it´s not that broken and i fail to see how this trailer is more "explicit" than a Captain America film. That Disney version is surprising bloodthirsty...
Not that ratings make good films, as Citizen Kane is rated PG and so is Raiders.

@v1cious The OG manga didn´t have the spider-tank battle, the manga isn´t even that good, so who knows what you will get to see here. A lack of action doesn´t look to be a problem.

Last edited by residentgrigo on Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Nicwithnok

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:00 pm Reply with quote
only having watched the first 2 films, I can still appreciate the fact that the creators of this film really tried making this film look and feel like it takes place in the ghost in the shell universe. Recreating scene's straight from the Original film and also adding visual cues that pay homage to original world in which it took place in, ascetic wise this looks to be a great treat for fans ( I can't wait to see it in IMAX 3D). I just hope they have a story which can match it's visuals, that's what really worry's me. But other than that I really look forward to watching this when it's release, i'm cautiously optimistic!

( I really hope they have some throw backs to Kenji Kawai ost from the original though *crosses fingers*)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5