• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Conan O'Brien Rips Apart Final Fantasy XV: 'Why is This a Game?'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightningZangetsu27

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:46 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I'm not offended because Final Fantasy has not been all that good since 10-2. but hopefully 15 can at least be better then the god awful 13 trilogy.

yes finally an rpg fan that knows what they talking about.
SE have one last screw up left in place which is to balls up FF7, which only needed a better graphic engine, updated soundtrack & updated version of the TBS.

FF13 had so much potential to I'd love nothing more than have a kick ass female protagonist that dont need to stereotypical. Story sucked ass thats all. LR was just a culmination of rubbish. To boot Lightning Gucci range GTFO,

Personally this FF is a 50/50, great potential but easily screwed up. Noctis need a royal outfit & battle outfit because in my book he just wearing threads from a thrift shop
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Chiyosuke wrote:
theNightster wrote:
I'm not offended because Final Fantasy has not been all that good since 10-2. but hopefully 15 can at least be better then the god awful 13 trilogy.

X 2 was terrible...
and I agree with that, To me it was the start of the downfall of final fantasy
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:15 pm Reply with quote
This segment was funny, but it was biting humor. FF lost the magic some time ago, and they haven't found it yet.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Geez. I saw the Digic trailer the other week and was starting to have hope for the game, but this segment just killed it for me. The game looks to be filled with a lot of bloated, uninteresting filler content, and seeing Noctis sitting on the bed with what looks like a schoolgirl (?), pretty much killed it for me, just seems like teenie-bopper crap. I'll be waiting for the reviews, but so far if that's what the first impressions are looking like, it just comes across like a mindless time sink.
Nyren

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
Geez. I saw the Digic trailer the other week and was starting to have hope for the game, but this segment just killed it for me. The game looks to be filled with a lot of bloated, uninteresting filler content, and seeing Noctis sitting on the bed with what looks like a schoolgirl (?), pretty much killed it for me, just seems like teenie-bopper crap. I'll be waiting for the reviews, but so far if that's what the first impressions are looking like, it just comes across like a mindless time sink.
That "schoolgirl" was Iris Amicitia, Gladiolus Amicitia's younger sister who is around the same age as Noctis(20). And in case you haven't been keeping up, Gladiolus is the larger guy in Noctis' party.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:39 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
Chiyosuke wrote:
theNightster wrote:

X 2 was terrible...

Story wise, maybe. In terms of gameplay and mechanics X-2 was solid.

I remember pressing X constantly and winning that whole game =/
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
taishou* wrote:
Story wise, maybe. In terms of gameplay and mechanics X-2 was solid.

You are correct. The battle system was fantastic. But I couldn't make it past the abysmal story, the vapid, annoying Charlie's Angels rip-off charatcers and the TERRIBLE camera.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:45 pm Reply with quote
The amount of butthurt in hilarious. For those who don't watch Conon, that's his persona. He does this in his show, and he especially acts like these for the clueless gamer segments. He trash talks every game. This is still good publicity for FF XV
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nyren wrote:
That "schoolgirl" was Iris Amicitia, Gladiolus Amicitia's younger sister who is around the same age as Noctis(20). And in case you haven't been keeping up, Gladiolus is the larger guy in Noctis' party.

Such a generic character design, she looks like she could have walked right out of a run-of-the-mill high school magic academy anime.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I'm not offended because Final Fantasy has not been all that good since 10-2.

I like X-2 myself but it wasn't that great of a game. Especially in comparison to it's predecessor. But it in turn wasn't a terrible game.

JDude042 wrote:
but maybe it's something to do with the fact that the characters and designs have just become too human-like, realistic,

Trend started with 7......(if you ignore the character models) that's part of the reason people took issue with 9.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Conan! Good, old, funny coot as always.
I've been influenced into thinking that XV is a joke. Conan's power of commentary is just unbiased Rotten Tomatoes.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:42 pm Reply with quote
It is to be expected with Conan; he`s a funny dude but if something is just a bit off-putting for him, he`ll rip the shit out of it for 10 minutes straight, if he can.

I felt that there wasn`t even an ounce of appreciation for the title, many of the titles in the past of "Clueless Gamer" has at least made it look fun to play or funny in a positive sense.

It`s true what some has said, FF is still a JRPG and it doesn`t have simple direct elements like the common popular titles, which isn`t necessarily a bad thing, but it`s enough to confuse someone who doesn`t play those kind of titles and especially someone who doesn`t play games at all.

Last edited by ChrissyC on Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Conan! Good, old, funny coot as always.
I've been influenced into thinking that XV is a joke. Conan's power of commentary is just unbiased Rotten Tomatoes.

Sidenote: X-2 was... tedious to play and mediocre at best. That happily-ever-after conclusion is way too unnecessary.
brucepuppy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I've been ignoring the hype around FFXV for some time now because I'm a bit tired of all those Fabulous Nova (whatever it's called) entries. The fact that XV is actually just a recycled spinoff turns me off further. We're closer to the release date and most reactions here seem lukewarm. I'll check some Youtube vids when I have time, but I doubt they'll change my opinion.
Sume Gai

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:03 pm Reply with quote
I realize that the segment was made mostly in jest by someone who is way outside the demographic that XV would appeal to but it makes me want to see Conan react to some other JRPGs (or better yet, weird Japanese games in general; can you imagine Katamari Damacy?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5