• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Gold Previews English Dub in Video

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:07 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
@Gemnist
Oh yeah no FMAB is definitely one of my all time favorite dubs and same, Naruto is my favorite anime ever.

@romanmack
The main reason I dislike ("dislike" not hate-strong word) the dub is because it recycles ALOT of voices from DBZ/DBZ Kai. Like imo there is nothing to justify that. I know a lot of other anime do that but one thing One Piece dub lacks is a variety of OG voices.

One thing we can no doubt agree on is that ALL One Piece fans short & tall should support this theatrical release. I can't say this being dubbed won't play apart in it not doing well if that's what it comes down to but that's beside the point. All fans should come together and support this wholeheartedly.

Which is pretty much the same in the Japanese version. OP shares alot of voice actors/actresses from other shows (DBZ being a big one). You just don't notice because it's in Japanese.

Naruto's dub reuses a lot of voice talent as well, and you like that just fine, so I fail to see the problem on that front.

Well, whatever, you get the bigger picture anyway so it's all good. We all should support this release.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:24 pm Reply with quote
^Exactly why I brought up the Luffy point in my og post. Mayumi Tanaka has been in other works but her Luffy voice is iconic. I'm sure in the Japanese One Piece dub there are other cases where the voice actor alters their voice to make to it different and og from other anime.

It's no secret japanese voice actors put more passion into their voice acting too, especially when it comes to anime.
NearEasternerJ1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:40 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
It's no secret japanese voice actors put more passion into their voice acting too, especially when it comes to anime.

It's a popular myth, nothing more. Like the concept of there being widespread flat-earth belief in Europe. Merely "changing your voice" is not good voice acting; you have to be able to ACT. Besides, Mayumi Tanaka's Luffy sounds the same as Megaman Trigger/Rockman Volnutt and Kuririn/Krillin and "range" is not really demanded by JP VO fans/the JP VO industry, so your examples were pretty ironic/poor.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:49 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
^Exactly why I brought up the Luffy point in my og post. Mayumi Tanaka has been in other works but her Luffy voice is iconic. I'm sure in the Japanese One Piece dub there are other cases where the voice actor alters their voice to make to it different and og from other anime.

Just the same as the FUNi dub. Same actors that alter their voices if they get casted for another character. Japanese Luffy just sounds like a more energetic Krillin from Japanese DB/DBZ/DBS. Hell, even within the very same show, Franky and Bon Clay are VERY similar sounding. The only difference being difference in tone. No different to how FUNi does their thing. Luffy shares the same voice as DBKai Gohan, Colleen Clickenbeard, but they're different enough. Gohan sounds higher in pitch and less rough, while Luffy's tone is a tad deeper and the voice is more raspy. Sabat's Zoro sounds like a more calm and slightly higher tone Piccolo and Vegeta. Eric Vale's Sanji on the other hand, sounds a grand deal more deeper than say Trunks or Loke/Leo from Fairy Tail. Etc etc.

Anyway, the point is, anime in Japanese and anime in English all reuse the same voice actors and all the actors tweak their voices when they get a role. This is nothing new and I fail to see how OP's dub does it any worse than... well... everything else for that matter.

Also, I completely disagree with the Japanese putting more passion into their work, voice quality wise. At least not with most dubs nowadays. You need to see key moments like the "I WANT TO LIVE" scene or "you-know-who's" death... the latter moment which, imo, actually surpassed the original.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Krillin/Luffy is literally the only voice that carried over from Dragon Ball to One Piece in Japanese.

In the dub pretty much every Straw Hat has been a main character in Dragon Ball. Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Usopp. I don't know who voices Robin, Brook, or Frankie in the dub since I stopped watching before they were introduced, but I can totally see why someone wouldn't like the dub based on that alone since it's so distracting. It's the main reason I actually prefer the 4Kids voice actors for Zoro and Usopp.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:07 pm Reply with quote
NearEasternerJ1 wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:

It's a popular myth, nothing more. Like the concept of there being widespread flat-earth belief in Europe. Merely "changing your voice" is not good voice acting; you have to be able to ACT. Besides, Mayumi Tanaka's Luffy sounds the same as Megaman Trigger/Rockman Volnutt and Kuririn/Krillin and "range" is not really demanded by JP VO fans/the JP VO industry, so your examples were pretty ironic/poor.

Excluding every character in One Piece aside from the Strawhats, can their voice actors NOT act? What're are you getting at here? That point, if it was meant to be a valid point at all, was pretty poor.

@romanmack
I can't watch the One Piece dub without seeing Gohan in Luffy or Piccolo in Zoro lol and don't get me started on Chopper. His Japanese voice actor is much more tolerable imo. But I doubt western fans especially watched the og DB or even DBZ in Japanese. So when we all had to make the transition to the Japanese dub/subbed One Piece anime to continue, Mayumi Tanaka's was very refreshing. Obviously this is different for Japanese viewers. They see it the same way I do with the DBZ Kai voices being recycled.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Krillin/Luffy is literally the only voice that carried over from Dragon Ball to One Piece in Japanese.

In the dub pretty much every Straw Hat has been a main character in Dragon Ball. Luffy, Zoro, Sanji, Nami, Usopp. I don't know who voices Robin, Brook, or Frankie in the dub since I stopped watching before they were introduced, but I can totally see why someone wouldn't like the dub based on that alone since it's so distracting. It's the main reason I actually prefer the 4Kids voice actors for Zoro and Usopp.

Usopp's voice is terrible in the 4Kids dub. Lmao. Not to mention that dub reused voices all the same.

Fair enough, but the voice actors have had other stints on other shows you're probably unaware of due to being in Japanese. It's only more noticeable in English because that's your native language. Especially with FUNi and how everyone always analyzes their voice talents. In the end, it's just kinda hypocritical. Japanese language tracks reuse the same voice actors all the time.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

Exactly. And idk how imfamous her voice was for Krillin in Japan or wherever, but it is pretty iconic over here in the west for Luffy amongst many in the One Piece fandom. Practically guarantee more so than DBZ Kai Gohan-Luffy.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I mean, here's something that completely breaks your argument.

You stated you prefer Japanese Chopper to American Chopper... when American Chopper actually has no major roles in DBZ or anything similar yet Japanese Chopper sounds exactly like Pikachu.

Pikachu. A voice EVERYONE knows. And yet that isn't a problem? Lol, your argument just isn't adding up, dude.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:33 pm Reply with quote
mlangeveld15 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
0:23 The Fast and the Straw-ious?

Anyway, does anyone know who plays the brand new characters based on voice? Specifically Gild Tesoro?

Did some more digging. The One Piece wikipedia says it is Keith Silverstein who's voicing Gild. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but Keith himself did retweet the IGN twitter post of the trailer. It is a long shot I know.

I guess that explains why Silverstein tweeted the movie trailer on his twitter account.

https://twitter.com/silvertalkie
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:49 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:

You stated you prefer Japanese Chopper to American Chopper... when American Chopper actually has no major roles in DBZ or anything similar yet Japanese Chopper sounds exactly like Pikachu.

Pikachu. A voice EVERYONE knows. And yet that isn't a problem? Lol, your argument just isn't adding up, dude.

Not entirely sure how lol. Be careful when you say "everyone". I swear I'm not just blowing smoke when I say I haven't watched Pokemon in years and don't understand the hype around it lol. I'm not understanding, Chopper actually speaks, doesn't Pikachu just say pika? Genuinely confused.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:32 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
romanmack wrote:

Not entirely sure how lol. Be careful when you say "everyone". I swear I'm not just blowing smoke when I say I haven't watched Pokemon in years and don't understand the hype around it lol. I'm not understanding, Chopper actually speaks, doesn't Pikachu just say pika? Genuinely confused.

A hell of a lot more people in America know about Pikachu's voice than Japanese Luffy, making that voice way more iconic. And yet it doesn't bother you that Japanese Chopper almost sounds exactly like Pikachu, just with vocabulary? That's funny, because you seem to be bothered so much about voice actors being reused in other shows, yet it seems your hatred for that only extends to the OP dub and nothing else. Funny that.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:55 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
TokyoSplash wrote:
romanmack wrote:

A hell of a lot more people in America know about Pikachu's voice than Japanese Luffy, making that voice way more iconic. And yet it doesn't bother you that Japanese Chopper almost sounds exactly like Pikachu, just with vocabulary? That's funny, because you seem to be bothered so much about voice actors being reused in other shows, yet it seems your hatred for that only extends to the OP dub and nothing else. Funny that.

Can't argue that. Maybe it's because One Piece is in my top 5. Not gonna say I wish it to see a proper dub but *shrugs* to each his own.
Lizzie_B

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Ignoring all the discourse, I'm looking forward to seeing it (if they show it in my state).
CelestialEmpress

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm just waiting for an announcement on who's doing Sabo and Koala.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3