• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Film Gold Previews English Dub in Video

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:14 am Reply with quote
I am so looking forward to this and the Yugioh movie in January, its going to be a great month for English Dub fans and Nintendo fans
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:18 am Reply with quote
0:23 The Fast and the Straw-ious?

Anyway, does anyone know who plays the brand new characters based on voice? Specifically Gild Tesoro?

Last edited by Gemnist on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:21 am; edited 1 time in total
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:19 am Reply with quote
So U.S, Canada..then UK please!
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Anyway, does anyone know who plays the brand new characters based on voice? Specifically Gild Tesoro?

I keep replaying his voice over and over. It has to be an outsider from the original Dallas pool. I'm more curious as to who'll be voicing older Sabo seeing this will be his first appearence in an English Dub.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 am Reply with quote
mlangeveld15 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I keep replaying his voice over and over. It has to be an outsider from the original Dallas pool. I'm more curious as to who'll be voicing older Sabo seeing this will be his first appearence in an English Dub.

Oh yeah, almost forgot about Sabo! Totally pumped to see him.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:55 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one that finds the One Piece dub dreadful and cringey?

*sighs* was really looking forward to this subbed. You can't hold a candle to Luffy's Japanese voice actor quite Franky (see what I did there), as she puts so much passion into his voice.

Nonetheless, going to see this. First One Piece movie on the big screen for me. It's just a little annoying that Funimation could bang out a One Piece movie dub for theater release and Viz can't with Naruto until DVD/BD release. Naruto's dub being 10x better than One Piece's too.

Not comparing series or anything just thinking out loud.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:11 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Am I the only one that thinks the One Piece dub is dreadful and cringey?

*sighs* was really looking forward to this subbed. You can't hold a candle to Luffy's Japanese voice actor quite Franky (see what I did there), as she puts so much passion into his voice.

Nonetheless, going to see this. First One Piece movie on the big screen for me. It's just a little annoying that Funimation could bang out a One Piece movie dub for theater release and Viz can't with Naruto until DVD/BD release. Naruto's dub being 10x better than One Piece's too.

Not comparing series or anything just thinking out loud.

Like any long-running show dub, sometimes the One Piece dub is cringey, sometimes it isn't (unless it's the 4Kids dub, which is always cringey). On the other hand, while Naruto is my favorite anime ever (not the best imo though, that's FMAB), only the dub for the first series is good; Shippuden's is rather lackluster, except for the really prominent actors in it (i.e. Vic Mignogna). The only reason Naruto doesn't have theatrical dub releases is because Funimation is just more skilled with dubbing really really fast than literally anyone else on the market.
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Nope. No sub, no deal.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Actually no.... you're not the only one who hates the OP dub... but I just can't grasp as to why.

FUNi's One Piece dub is terrific. I'll never understand how someone can say it's terrible, nor say how Naruto's dub is so much better, when they're about the same in dub quality. But that's opinions, for ya.

Still, even DBZ and YuGiOh's dub get better reception... and their dubs are worse and less accurate compared to OP's... and yet the OP dub still gets more flack and bash.

People say the OP fanbase are among the worst most hard-to-please fanbases out there.... and I'm starting to see it due to all the hate this "dub only theatrical release" is causing. It really is a shame, because FUNi has worked so hard after the 4Kids fiasco to give us a great and faithful dub, yet so many OP fans shit on it...

Makes you wonder if rescuing it from 4Kids was even worth it, people still won't watch it dubbed anyhoo. >_>

I still think even sub fans should support this release, given that One Piece's overall appeal will be judged by this theatrical release.

Trivial things such as dub vs. sub should come second and we should look at the bigger picture.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:
Nope. No sub, no deal.

Grow up, people like different things you don't need to be this snarky about it, the dub is good and the movie would be just as watchable in either language.

On the subject of why people "Hate" the OP dub it's because they ones who don't like it always speak louder than the ones who do. Anyone who would say the Funi dub of OP is bad has no idea what their talking about because it's one of the best dubs out there, and maybe even the best for a dub of a show that's been running as long as OP has. Other long running dubs like Naruto and Bleach had the problem of constantly reusing the same 20 people to voice every character and the Pokemon dub has been so fragmented and full of cast changes it can't compete, and Yu-Gi-Oh has had about 6 different series resulting in major casting changes that takes it out of contention.

The only thing even close to OP in consistent dub Quality would be Fairy Tail but the episode number is so much lower that it's in a different category than OP.
coolkidpiccolo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

Did some more digging. The One Piece wikipedia says it is Keith Silverstein who's voicing Gild. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but Keith himself did retweet the IGN twitter post of the trailer. It is a long shot I know.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
mlangeveld15 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Did some more digging. The One Piece wikipedia says it is Keith Silverstein who's voicing Gild. Nothing has been confirmed yet, but Keith himself did retweet the IGN twitter post of the trailer. It is a long shot I know.

Whoa, Keith Silverstein??? I always thought he was a union actor. If it's him, that's fantastic!
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:12 pm Reply with quote
OH MY GOD YESS.

Can't watch it on theaters. everything sound good in the trailer.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:40 pm Reply with quote
@Gemnist
Oh yeah no FMAB is definitely one of my all time favorite dubs and same, Naruto is my favorite anime ever.

@romanmack
The main reason I dislike ("dislike" not hate-strong word) the dub is because it recycles ALOT of voices from DBZ/DBZ Kai. Like imo there is nothing to justify that. I know a lot of other anime do that but one thing One Piece dub lacks is a variety of OG voices.

One thing we can no doubt agree on is that ALL One Piece fans short & tall should support this theatrical release. I can't say this being dubbed won't play apart in it not doing well if that's what it comes down to but that's beside the point. All fans should come together and support this wholeheartedly.
1dbad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:28 pm Reply with quote
First Sailor Moon R is getting a theatrical release in January, and now One Piece? Looks like 2017 is going to get off to a great start for me.

I love FUNI's One Piece dub, so I'm good. (granted it comes to my area, anyway...) I'm especially excited now that it seems Keith Silverstein is involved. He's one of my favorite voice actors, and I have yet to hear a performance from him I haven't loved.

It is a shame FUNi isn't including a theatrical release of the Japanese version though. They're missing out on some cash by doing it dub-only. Always best to go the dual-audio route when it comes to anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3