• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animator Expo Site Streams 'Mobile Police Patlabor Reboot' Short Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lowlife187

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:00 am Reply with quote
So are we getting a reboot series or is just the short? I hope this isn't like Macross Pachinko game, I was so excited when I saw the redone scenes thinking it was being remade.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:04 am Reply with quote
Lowlife187 wrote:
So are we getting a reboot series or is just the short? I hope this isn't like Macross Pachinko game, I was so excited when I saw the redone scenes thinking it was being remade.
The thing with Pachinko, is that it is huge over there, patlabor could make so much money from it, and that money could then go into a TV show.
leongsh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
*cries tears of happiness at getting a reboot of Patlabor*

More please.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:10 pm Reply with quote
No way, they got Megumi Hayashibara in this!

And it was really good, they actually did a great job of capturing the classic spirit really well, would love to see more of this! It's been so long since I've seen a show that captures the old feeling so well, almost brings a tear to my eye.

And to anyone who's wondering how to get the english subtitles working on the video, you just have to click the second button from the left that's below the video player (kind of not helpful that the label for it is in Japanese).
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Rapture! All the elements of classic Patlabor action scenes return in their full splendour! How I delighted in the collateral damage, police bickering, mecha wrestling holds and culminative anticlimax. The repetition of the original series' opening monologue at the end is fanservice of the highest and noblest order.

Now, may we please have some more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:04 pm Reply with quote
leongsh wrote:
*cries tears of happiness at getting a reboot of Patlabor*

More please.

Yup, this was a great short, they really need to make a full reboot series.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:24 am Reply with quote
It was indeed a good representation of Patlabor for its duration (not sure about what I think of them choosing mecha action over the rest, but it was too short to show every aspect).

"More", "more", "more" : until the vein is exhausted ?
Patlabor had the chance to be something with a great concept and enough variety for the different forms to still be interesting today (although I would say that the OAVs/films are above the other media in term of interest today)

Also, would there be any reason for Labor to appear in a bad economic period and become something as big as it is supposed to be in the post-80s world of the previous variants? I wonder what could be used as justification in the 201x Japan...

Kikaioh wrote:
No way, they got Megumi Hayashibara in this!

She's practically a given in Animator Expo shorts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1