• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: BPO's Latest Viewer Complaint Criticizes Depictions of Anime Boy's Genitals

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:43 pm Reply with quote
At what point was Hayato even sexualized in that scene? This is ridiculous. It's Dragon Ball-tier nudity.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Why even give groups like this any sort of press? They're the equivalent of the Parents' Television Council whackjobs in the US.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Man some people really do freak out over the tiniest things don't they. Laughing
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:22 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I admit that the underlying current of sexual assault is one of the few things that dampens JJBA for me. Anne/Runaway Girl was nearly assaulted by the orangutan, Alessi is definitely a child abuser, if not a child molester, D'Angelo explicitly sexually assaults and murders young boys, and even if Kira was only trying to obtain the videotape from Hayato, that scene is deliberately framed as uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I know as a drama/horror series, it's an easy way to invoke trauma (and make the hero look heroic for stepping in and defending the child), but I wish Araki didn't rely on it so much.

It is pretty uncomfortable. I know Araki has mentioned that his earlier portrayals of female characters bother him and that he's tried to improve since, I wonder if he ever thinks that about all of the assault that was in the series.
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:51 pm Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
At what point was Hayato even sexualized in that scene? This is ridiculous. It's Dragon Ball-tier nudity.

To be honest there was a lot in that scene that made me uncomfortable to watch. If it was a normal family bathing scene (like in Totoro) that's one thing but the tension and framing in that scene was to reflect the intimidation the little boy felt. Also given the revelations within that episode it just made that scene all the more disturbing and there was a lot of "bad touch" going on. Overall I think the following episode which flashbacked to said scene took out all the NSFW scenes and showed just enough for us to the context of what was going on. I'm not going to pretend that when Toonami hits this episode there's not going to be problems. I would be surprised if they showed the episode uncut.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:06 pm Reply with quote
explosionforgov wrote:
I admit that the underlying current of sexual assault is one of the few things that dampens JJBA for me. Anne/Runaway Girl was nearly assaulted by the orangutan, Alessi is definitely a child abuser, if not a child molester, D'Angelo explicitly sexually assaults and murders young boys, and even if Kira was only trying to obtain the videotape from Hayato, that scene is deliberately framed as uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I know as a drama/horror series, it's an easy way to invoke trauma (and make the hero look heroic for stepping in and defending the child), but I wish Araki didn't rely on it so much.

I think you're being too triggered about the amount of abuse JJBA shows, specially since you're describing in a very specific way scenes of abuse that are pretty vague at most (except the Hayato one): you don't know if Alessi is a child molester, for example; Anne was being held hostage by that orangutan, not necessarily being molested by it. Araki doesn't rely too much on showing that kind of abuse as he does killing dogs (that I don't have a problem about either), and I'm not condoning the type of abuse JJBA show against people or animals, but saying that the show, or Araki for that matter, relies on abuse too much is just reaching.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This isn't really anything new for JoJo's. I'm pretty sure Stardust Crusaders had genital shots in the episode where spoiler[Polnareff was turned into a kid]. Did anybody complain then?
Aki_Leaves

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
I understand others getting uncomfortable, and am in no way trying to undermine the feelings experienced from viewing this episode.

However, I feel uncomfortable imagery should be a given when it comes to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. While I know that everyone has different experiences that will lead them to finding different things uncomfortable, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has never been viewer friendly.

Cruelty and violence against animals is something that is rather triggering to me, even when it occurs in animation. However, I understand the risk I'm taking when I turn on an episode of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which regularly mutilates people, animals, and gets creepy on all fronts.

It might be tactless in some parts, but we're supposed to see Kira and other villainous characters as unlikeable and disgusting as possible.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:15 pm Reply with quote
On the one hand, it's amusing that people are complaining about dicks in anime. On the other: man, couldn't they have just drew a towel on the kid?
Sayuri Lapis

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Don't these people have better things to do other than complain about things like this?
Animechic420

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Jeez. They showed Goku's balls back in the day, what's the big damn deal, now???
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:
Jeez. They showed Goku's balls back in the day, what's the big damn deal, now???

The PTA in Japan is pure tyranny now.
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm more concerned with how Hayato is drawn with the muscular definition of an adult. Boys that age are still soft and not hard edged like older males.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:59 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
To be honest there was a lot in that scene that made me uncomfortable to watch. If it was a normal family bathing scene (like in Totoro) that's one thing but the tension and framing in that scene was to reflect the intimidation the little boy felt. Also given the revelations within that episode it just made that scene all the more disturbing and there was a lot of "bad touch" going on. Overall I think the following episode which flashbacked to said scene took out all the NSFW scenes and showed just enough for us to the context of what was going on. I'm not going to pretend that when Toonami hits this episode there's not going to be problems. I would be surprised if they showed the episode uncut.

Intimidation from the threat of physical violence, not sexual. There was no "bad touch" in the context of that scene, Kira's monologue directly referred to disposing of the boy and Hayato himself confronted him about the possibility of getting killed. There was absolutely no sexual context, unless you took out all the dialogue and assumed your own interpretation. Much like the BPO has done in this case.
HIGANO

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
JOJO is midnight anime.....i don't get why something like this happening.....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3