• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2016

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Jacob Chapman wrote:
I remember when these rare anime like Space Brothers would air, and I wished that non-anime fans who loved space exploration or even worked at NASA could be introduced to it more easily, despite knowing that the "anime ghetto" so often kept gems like this from reaching a wider audience.

Well, thing is most of the stuff in existence in the world is always in a "guetto". Anime is a weird thing in a way because it's a global subculture built around Japanese pop culture. Japanese culture lacks the "overwhelming" penetration of Anglo-American culture but it still enjoys more global penetration than the culture of other large countries like Brazil and India, whose pop culture is virtually inexistent to people outside of those countries, their guetto status is even "worse".

Anime's global appeal comes from one factor only: the fact that no other country in the world has an animation industry that is remotely comparable in it's size, variety and sophistication. As a result people who are into animation are into anime and so are "forced" to consume Japanese pop culture pretty much only due to their love of the medium of animation. One should note that 95% of the people who are into anime don't watch Japanese live action shows (I myself tried watching a couple and I found myself underwhelmed by them: they are not very different from Brazilian novelas) or consume a lot of other Japanese culture (like Japanese novels, music and stuff) besides manga (which is the real core of Japanese otaku culture and manga also appeal to the same people who like animation since it's all about "staring at drawings").

Now, I don't have a problem with most people outside of Japan not consuming Japanese pop culture and I woudn't say anime is in a "guetto" just because the vast majority of Americans do not consume Japanese pop culture since the vast majority of Americans do not consume Chinese, Brazilian or Indian pop culture either (or for that matter, the pop culture from any culture other than their own Anglo-American culture). Anime is an unique thing because it's a non-Western pop culture that managed to achieve a certain degree of cultural penetration into the Western world, mostly thanks to the fact it has no real competition inside Western pop culture (the contrast in relative development between Western animation with Western live action films or Western videogames is so extreme to require some sociological explanation on their own).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:56 pm Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
Yuri On Ice is surprisingly good. It really is. However, the show certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the same level of popularity had Yuri, or more interestingly, Viktor , been female. Knowing this put a bad taste in my mouth. Excessive hype can negatively affect a person's perception of a show and it is part of the reason why I rated the show Very Good instead of Excellent.
I am in a similar boat. I know it's silly to let a fanbase affect your opinion on a show, but the past few threads here on the show have really made me reluctant/embaressed to admit to have liked the show since I did not want to be lumped in with rabid shippers or people who thought this was the first show to get attention from professionals. I watched it more for the ice skating and comedy and Yuri's underdog story and didn't much care for whether he was in love with Victor or not which is why the ending left me unsatisfied.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
I'm also pretty sure (like 100% sure) that a large factor why Yuri on ice is so popular is the BL aspect, but I don't think anyone would deny that. Most people specifically mention that aspect when they praise the show.

Honestly outside of that the show has almost nothing going for it. The animation was all over the place, good for 1-3 and the end but it melted in the middle and was downright embarrassing for a few routine (poor Pinchi, it was hard to take him seriously after the animator saved budget on his first competition). The story really wasn't that interesting, especially the side character whose development had to be rushed out the door. Take out the BL aspect and the show is just a dime a dozen anime. S2 will probably have quite a lot more budget behind it so the animation should be fixed. I don't know if they'll still decide to focus on every competitor and show there entire routine every time though, maybe it'll be 26 episodes and they'll have more time to flesh stuff out.
Guile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 am Reply with quote
Figure skating anime is pretty rare which is why I mainly watched it. The only other recent skating anime I know of was Pretty Rhythm, but PriPara replaced that franchise a few years back
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:20 am Reply with quote
Pantha wrote:
Yuri On Ice is surprisingly good. It really is. However, the show certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the same level of popularity had Yuri, or more interestingly, Viktor, been female.
By the second episode of YoI, I was wondering why I even bothered. (At this point, Viktor was annoyingly stereotypical). I'm part of a mainstream audience and I do not want to see certain things in my shows. Fortunately, I am able to easily avoid such shows...

First off, I'm confused by your opening and closing of the post. It sounds like you really liked it, but then you sound like it was a trial to slog through it from the second episode on. oO

Anyway, I don't think you can say that a gender swap of one of the characters would have impacted the series' popularity. Male and female characters are not interchangeable in romantic storylines, so for starters we'd be dealing with a different story, told in a different way. There would still be lots of skating, and that's about it. So who knows how good that story would've been? Assuming it was equally good as the one we got, I think the only difference in its popularity would be a shift in the makeup of the audience, cutting off the people who aren't interested in anything but BL and replacing them with the people who refused to watch Yuuri because of teh gey. Everybody else would've still loved the hell out of it because it would've still been good, funny, touching, well-told and beautiful to watch with a great soundtrack. And skating! Very Happy
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:24 am Reply with quote
To chime in on the YoI conversation, I didn't care to watch it at all. I'm not interested in ice skating, I'm not a fan of romance in general, and I don't like the fanservicing vibes of BL works (I mostly find them as annoyingly shallow as moe shows). I was vaguely interested in the show at first because I'd heard it had some good animation sequences, but I was disappointed to find out that they appear to be based on rotoscoped CG sequences, which makes it inherently not that impressive. TBH, outside of a few shorts, I feel as though animation in general just hasn't been anywhere near as ambitious, creative or technically impressive as in years long past. Very disappointing times, for me at least.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I was disappointed to find out that they appear to be based on rotoscoped CG sequences, which makes it inherently not that impressive.

According to the showrunners, there was no rotoscoping in YoI. Which to me makes it inherently more impressive. Smile
gabuhaha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:27 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Pardon me, I was under the impression this was a discussion thread. And no, my original question was not "good or goggles" it was "how much is good, how much is goggles." Plenty of posts in response listing the good stuff, but people are getting rather defensive about the latter.

The way you phrased your initial post and have been phrasing your responses implies that you think that other factors like people wanting a gay relationship in a mainstream anime (i.e. goggles) are more important than the merits of the show (i.e. good). That is what is making people defensive.
Vaisaga wrote:

And never once did I say it wasn't. I was very open about not having seen it so I couldn't say either way. But I don't need to have seen it to know that, as you've pointed out, an actual figure skater will appreciate more about the show than a non-figure skater. Does being a figure skating show make it fundamentally better than a non-figure skating show? Is a gay couple fundamentally better than a straight couple? No. It's the viewer who assigns specific values to those elements.

Yes, it is the viewer who assigns values to those elements. My point was that Yuri on Ice appeals to a broad range of viewers. It is a sports anime which cares enough about the sport to include little details that will appeal to people who participate in the sport and fans of the sport while not be overly expository so it can be enjoyed by people who are not as familiar with the sport. It is also a gay romance story which appeals to those who would like to see gay couples in their media and was done in a way that many people who can't stand BL still enjoyed the romance. As well as all of the other items that I previously listed.

So if you asking how much is "good" and how much is "goggles", it's that it's much more good than goggles. Which is also what many other people have stated.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
@Kikaioh Whatever you think of KyoAni's work beyond the visuals (since much is moe I imagine you are not a fan), they are certainly technically impressive. Flip Flappers is as creative as I've seen. YoI while it is certainly imperfect, it sure as hell is ambitious. Even beyond this season and year, OPM was all three, Space Dandy is certainly creative. And that's just off the top of my head. I imagine greater sakuga fans than I could name many more examples. You can criticize recent anime for many things, but a dearth of good or interesting animation? The mind boggles.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:44 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I feel as though animation in general just hasn't been anywhere near as ambitious, creative or technically impressive as in years long past. Very disappointing times, for me at least.
I'm sorry but I just can't take that kind of statement seriously when it refers to a year where the likes of Mob Psycho, Flip Flappers, Euphonium, Fune wo Amu and many others came out. Heck, even Yuri!!! on Ice was an extremely ambitious project, even if the end result after the first three episodes was more than a mixed bag thanks to the production problems that f*cked it over, and even then it wasn't all bad.

So yeah, not sure what you're on about.

Last edited by Starbuckets on Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:05 am; edited 2 times in total
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:45 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
S2 will probably have quite a lot more budget behind it so the animation should be fixed. I don't know if they'll still decide to focus on every competitor and show there entire routine every time though, maybe it'll be 26 episodes and they'll have more time to flesh stuff out.

No. That's literally, LITERALLY not how anime works.

Yuri!!! on Ice did not have bad animation because it didn't have enough money (granted, it was an original adaptation and it's not sure that investors were particularly interested in it), it's because the production schedule crashed completely. The last episode required 82 animators and 16 animation directors to get it done! And that's only the ones that were credited since sometimes only the outsourced studio is credited and not the entirety of its staff. The guys at Sakugabooru made a great sheet that details the exact numbers of credited animators and directors.

The difference between KyoAni and any other anime is ridiculous, however, just taking Keijo, compared to Yuri on Ice, has 20 key animators (average) less, and 4 (average) animation directors less. Hell, I'm surprised that Yuri on Ice managed to air all of its episodes continuously, it was one step before the God Eater effect (from the so-acclaimed "Unlimited Budget" Ufotable which is actually a myth).

Also no, Yuri!!! on Ice never used CG nor rotoscoping in any of the skating sequences, it probably did in a ballet sequence, which is repeated twice with different characters, giving it away that it was 1) Rotoscoped 2) Production was screwed. What it did have were Kenji Miyamoto (ex-artistic skater) coreographies, which certainly tried to mimick real life movements.

Kikaioh wrote:
TBH, outside of a few shorts, I feel as though animation in general just hasn't been anywhere near as ambitious, creative or technically impressive as in years long past. Very disappointing times, for me at least.

[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25452]?[/url]
[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/28773]??[/url]
[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/28669]???[/url]
[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/27452]????[/url]
[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/25967]?????[/url]
[url=https://sakugabooru.com/post/show/22077]???!!!![/url]

Last edited by Valhern on Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:46 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
I have a hard time with this argument of "Okay, you like Yuri on Ice because it has a gay relationship and that appeals to you, but do you actually like the show?". It's not that it's asking whether you legitimately like the show or not, it is if you like it for legitimate reasons.

That was never my argument and not what I was asking. I merely suggested looking deeper at the reason some one might like it. You guys are the ones claiming those deeper reasons are "illegitimate", not me.

My number 1 show? Macross Delta. Great mecha action, great characters, great songs. Those are all good surface reasons to like it. But then I look at myself and ask "Why does it really stand out to you?" and I say "Because it finally broke the Macross tradition I always hated and spoiler[the cute girl won instead of the more mature tsundere girl.]" So there's a reason I like it that's completely personal bias. Is it still a legitimate reason to like it? Am I not allowed it like it for that reason? Of course I'm allowed! I'm just acknowledging the bias exists and was a factor in my enjoyment.

Pantha wrote:
However, the show certainly wouldn't have enjoyed the same level of popularity had Yuri, or more interestingly, Viktor , been female.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

Guile wrote:
Figure skating anime is pretty rare which is why I mainly watched it. The only other recent skating anime I know of was Pretty Rhythm, but PriPara replaced that franchise a few years back

Watch Ginban Kaleidoscope. It's really good.

gabuhaha wrote:
The way you phrased your initial post and have been phrasing your responses implies that you think that other factors like people wanting a gay relationship in a mainstream anime (i.e. goggles) are more important than the merits of the show (i.e. good). That is what is making people defensive.

Hmmm...

Vaisaga wrote:
When I see something like Yuri on Ice be so highly regarded, I can't help but wonder what other factors are influencing that regard outside of the show's actual quality.

Personally I thought I was pretty clear that I was talking about factors separate from the quality that might enhance it, not ones that supersede it. Like I said, stuff that might kick it from an 7 to a 10, not 0 to 100.

Though there are some examples of that...

gabuhaha wrote:
So if you asking how much is "good" and how much is "goggles", it's that it's much more good than goggles. Which is also what many other people have stated.

But they appear to go in the opposite direction and sound to me like they're denying the "goggles" play a role at all.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
CheezcakeMe wrote:
Yeah don't start analyzing a show that you've never seen. That's just silly. It's like judging a meal's taste because you saw it in a magazine.

I'm not analyzing the show itself. I'm analyzing the reception to it and the various reasons it might be rated so highly. Only need to poke around this thread to see what that is.

Maybe it's a solid 7/10 show but certain aspects might lead some to treat it like a 10/10 show. That's what I'm interested in pondering.

It's great that you like it and if those are the reasons why, then cool. If you've asked yourself "Is there anything else influencing my opinion?" and you answered "No" than that's cool too.

This is a nonsensical distinction. You're acting like there are some objective criteria for judging what makes an anime great. There aren't. Everyone has their own set of criteria. You're unhappy because many people here use a very different set than you and you want us to throw out what you don't like and adopt yours as a honest (to your mind) set. And that's nonsense.

If you want to be introspective, perhaps you should question why people seeing a show as a landmark and being enthusiastic about it representing them should bother you, but only when it's a show with lots of women fans and representing homosexuals. I mean, I don't see you getting judgemental about all the people who rave about Re:Zero because Subaru is realistically representative of them as otakus, and to my mind it's the same damned thing.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:53 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Valhern wrote:
I have a hard time with this argument of "Okay, you like Yuri on Ice because it has a gay relationship and that appeals to you, but do you actually like the show?". It's not that it's asking whether you legitimately like the show or not, it is if you like it for legitimate reasons.

That was never my argument and not what I was asking. I merely suggested looking deeper at the reason some one might like it. You guys are the ones claiming those deeper reasons are "illegitimate", not me.

My number 1 show? Macross Delta. Great mecha action, great characters, great songs. Those are all good surface reasons to like it. But then I look at myself and ask "Why does it really stand out to you?" and I say "Because it finally broke the Macross tradition I always hated and spoiler[the cute girl won instead of the more mature tsundere girl.]" So there's a reason I like it that's completely personal bias. Is it still a legitimate reason to like it? Am I not allowed it like it for that reason? Of course I'm allowed! I'm just acknowledging the bias exists and was a factor in my enjoyment.

Who said I was talking about you? Thanks for picking that up, I guess, because you literally proved my point?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:57 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Who said I was talking about you?

VoidWitch made a similar bastardization of my post earlier, so it's kinda obvious.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 22