• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kodansha Manga Magazine Editor Arrested for Wife's Murder (Updated)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sim0n2170

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
KilluaX3 wrote:
Pretty sure this is the same guy who got fired for hitting Isayama and constantly berating him, and also the guy who apparently threw up and cried for an hour when Isayama told him he was spoiler[going to kill Sasha and kept picking fights with fujos on Twitter].
Isayama's current editor is the one who spoiler[cried over the plan to kill off Sasha.]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:41 pm Reply with quote
iamtooawesome wrote:
Lets just wait for the result, they need to scan for foot and hand prints to prove that the investigation's right or else they're just plain accusing him because he's u know... Not to be racist. They need to be careful since he's Korean because we know Japan's never been bff with Korea not with the comfort women issue.

We will never see the results of the autopsy.

If the bruising is definitive, the police will know whether she was strangled (as they think) or was hanged. The husband has already changed his story about the manner of death. So I think he is pretty much toasted.

Japan is like America in a way. You have your racists, and then you have the rest of the common people. The Japanese police don't need to be careful because he is Korean, they just need to do their jobs. Also, just like America, the most people don't live with the weight of WWII on their shoulders. Go out in the streets of America, and find out just how much of WWII most people have forgotten, or never learned.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:11 pm Reply with quote
@KilluaX3
Geez, spoiler much??? Thanks. -_-
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
knowing how well Japan and Korea behaves to each other (cats and dogs), this could get ugly
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:04 am Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:

IIRC, Japan's legal system is "guilty until proven innocent".

More like society is like that, except also "guilty after proven innocent." People like Martha Stewart, and to a smaller extent Roman Polanski, were able to bounce back and make a living again. In Japan, even being suspected of being a criminal is enough to ruin the rest of your life.

KilluaX3 wrote:
Pretty sure this is the same guy who got fired for hitting Isayama and constantly berating him, and also the guy who apparently threw up and cried for an hour when Isayama told him he was going to spoiler[kill Sasha] and kept picking fights with fujos on Twitter.

If what you say is true, then yeah, I can definitely see this guy as being the killer, and it's good he was taken off the company before he could bring more harm upon his co-workers.

Hoppy800 wrote:
That's some strange behavior, throwing up and crying doesn't seem like the normal actions of someone who's fired, it's usually depression or anger from the start. Also, the police need to look harder for any wires, ropes, and any other suicide instruments in the home because it doesn't seem like a murder to me but a tragic suicide.

Someone who's unhinged can definitely react in that way. While it never led to a murder, thankfully, someone in the room next door when I was at college behaved in this way: He was kicked out of one of his classes, and according to his ranting, his girlfriend broke up with him, and as a result, he cried at the topof his lungs for six hours straight.

He was eventually expelled a few months later, though I don't know the reason behind it. I do remember police coming by and asking me things between that time though, but I don't know if he was related to it or not.
simona.com

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:37 am Reply with quote
Kodansha has actually declared he wasn't Attack On Titan's editor, so you should correct the article, ANN
"容疑者は2016年6月まで週刊少年マガジンの編集次長を務めており、当時は「別冊少年マガジン」や「マガジンSPECIAL」なども担当。一部では人気作「進撃の巨人」を担当していたとの報道もありますが、講談社によると“編集班長”として連載開始の意思決定に関わった1人ではあるものの、直接の担当編集として関わった事実はないとのことです。"

source: http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1701/10/news112.html
unready

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
fuuma_monou wrote:
IIRC, Japan's legal system is "guilty until proven innocent".

More like society is like that, except also "guilty after proven innocent."

"Innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" aren't creative statements. They're exact.

In "innocent until proven guilty" (which is most European cultures, except France), the burden of proof is on the prosecution. In "guilty until proven innocent" (France), the burden of proof is on the defense. Japan is like France in that regard, although it goes farther. Japan does not have trial by jury. It has trial by judge (or a panel of 3 judges). Judges are career bureaucrats who mostly just verify that the police and prosecutors have followed correct constitutional procedures.

The police need a warrant to arrest anyone, but they can detain suspects without arrest (for up to 10 days, but if they need longer, they can request an extension, which judges routinely rubber stamp) to question them to obtain the grounds for the warrant, which is usually a confession. Basically, by the time anyone is arrested in Japan, they already have enough of a case against them for a conviction.

Although this guy didn't confess, he was arrested, so unless there's some amazing exculpatory evidence discovered by the prosecutor, a conviction is a slam dunk from here.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
unready wrote:

Although this guy didn't confess, he was arrested, so unless there's some amazing exculpatory evidence discovered by the prosecutor, a conviction is a slam dunk from here.

He did change his story on the manner of his wife's death (went from accident, to suicide), so that probably has added a few more weights against him on the scales of justice.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:49 pm Reply with quote
unready wrote:
"Innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent" aren't creative statements. They're exact.

In "innocent until proven guilty" (which is most European cultures, except France), the burden of proof is on the prosecution. In "guilty until proven innocent" (France), the burden of proof is on the defense. Japan is like France in that regard, although it goes farther. Japan does not have trial by jury. It has trial by judge (or a panel of 3 judges). Judges are career bureaucrats who mostly just verify that the police and prosecutors have followed correct constitutional procedures.

The police need a warrant to arrest anyone, but they can detain suspects without arrest (for up to 10 days, but if they need longer, they can request an extension, which judges routinely rubber stamp) to question them to obtain the grounds for the warrant, which is usually a confession. Basically, by the time anyone is arrested in Japan, they already have enough of a case against them for a conviction.

Huh, is that why anyone who's even suspected of a crime in Japan is viewed with suspicion, as if they have actually committed it? I noticed people in Japan seem to be way less forgiving of those who have been caught by the police than people in the United States, regardless of if they clear their name or not. (By the way, I didn't invent "guilty until proven innocent.")

Like, I highly doubt this guy will ever be an editor again even if he doesn't spend the rest of his life in prison. If this was anywhere in North America, the possibility's still there.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:07 pm Reply with quote
^ That's mainly due to the way Japanese news coverage works.
That story about Becky and that married band guy? They had coverage of that for hours every day for like a month, showing the same footage over and over. There was rarely any new information but they kept running news about it.

Japanese people love gossips and scandals. Well, even if they don't, there's nothing else on TV so they end up watching it and TV stations misinterpret it as actual interest in the content they're broadcasting.

It goes to show how peaceful Japan is though. They have no new news to report on so they just keep running the same thing over and over again. The whole deal with the impeachment of the Korean president was shown on the news every day for at least a month too.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
^__^v wrote:
As shocking as the news is, let's not go accusing people until the investigations are over. They are presumed innocent until proven guilty. Also news these days can be made up, so treat them with caution.

that there is an understatement. there is a small chance that the news of him killing his wife could be debunked. people should definitely wait until there is ironclad evidence that he did this which . if that happen, it's more or less will mean he's getting the death penalty for sure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
unready

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 am Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
there is a small chance that the news of him killing his wife could be debunked.

The conviction rate in Japan is 99%, so the "small chance" is 1%.

jr240483 wrote:
people should definitely wait until there is ironclad evidence that he did this ...

You seem to think that the Japanese legal system works like the American legal system. It doesn't. If there's ironclad evidence that he did it, that's when a judge issues an arrest warrant, which has already happened. Unlike America, where an arrest can occur at any time during a criminal investigation, in Japan it occurs towards the end of the investigation.

Furthermore, in America "your day in court" is the day you get to tell your side of the story and make your defense public. In the Japanese legal system, "your day in court" is the day you get convicted. (FYI, there are no plea bargains in the Japanese system, either.)

But, hey, 1% isn't zero. Go for it.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:55 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
@KilluaX3
Geez, spoiler much??? Thanks. -_-

Tags added to the relevant posts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
crosswithyou wrote:
Japanese people love gossips and scandals. Well, even if they don't, there's nothing else on TV so they end up watching it and TV stations misinterpret it as actual interest in the content they're broadcasting.

This isn't a Japanese thing. Everyone likes to gossip. There are plenty of gossip shows, news, and other related programming in America. And then you have the print media too.
jr240483 wrote:
that there is an understatement. there is a small chance that the news of him killing his wife could be debunked. people should definitely wait until there is ironclad evidence that he did this which . if that happen, it's more or less will mean he's getting the death penalty for sure.

It is a pretty safe bet he is going down for the murder. He lied to the police about the manner of death, changed his story. As another poster mentioned, things happen differently in the Japanese system. I doubt we are going to hear any more details for this story, other than the sentencing. I doubt this will end with a death sentence. It doesn’t have the hallmarks of aggravation. But I could be wrong.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:56 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Tags added to the relevant posts.

Thanks, though unfortunately what was seen cannot be unseen. =(

TarsTarkas wrote:
This isn't a Japanese thing. Everyone likes to gossip. There are plenty of gossip shows, news, and other related programming in America. And then you have the print media too.

Personally I feel the Japanese take it to a whole 'nother level though.

There are not many non-cable channels in Japan and in the afternoon, pretty much all the "news" programs will cover practically the same material for days, weeks, sometimes even months on end. They always call in "experts" to dissect the information too, and they have all these fancy charts and timelines. It's quite laughable, actually. You'll know what I mean if you watch one of these programs. They make everything sound so important.

It's funny how Japanese people cite one's one privacy yet when it comes to these things, privacy is thrown out the window. Very hypocritical.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3