• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:34 am Reply with quote
After these last couple of episodes, I'm starting to feel like Tanya is modeled after Patton, although she has a pretty good reason for believing she's reincarnated. Smile
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:20 am Reply with quote
"As for the Poland/Dakia comparison, I was meaning that more in the sense of how quickly they got decimated by the Germans. That they're a stand-in for Romania is, in retrospect, pretty obvious."

Carlo Zen ,the LN's author, has put some thought into his alternative world and it's history.Zen has picked a interesting period of time,the inter-war period between WWI and WWII.
His alternative history has WWI starting in 1924 against that of 1914 and more importantly...a Imperial Germany(The Empire) that was not the aggressor.

Dacia Grand Duchy's(Romania) attack is very much a representation of Romania's failed participation in WWI.

Romania(persuaded by France and other powers' promises) did launch it's poorly trained&equipped 650,000 man army against a relatively undefended Austro-Hungary .Within Four months after the start of it's campaign 2/3rds of Romania had fallen to the Central Powers' counter offensive.

Romania would surrender to the Central Powers on May 1918 with the 'Treaty of Bucharest' and then with the end of the Central Powers no longer in doubt...they re-entered the war.

To add Tanya's attack on the capital of Dacia(LN)Dakia(anime?),was a portrayal of a inter-war strategic bombing theory of General Giulio Douhet.

General Giulio Douhet would write in 1921 a hugely influential treatise on strategic bombing titled 'The Command of the Air'. This theory lay behind the bombing campaigns of all sides during WWII.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
To add Tanya's attack on the capital of Dacia(LN)Dakia(anime?),was a portrayal of a inter-war strategic bombing theory of General Giulio Douhet.

It is not romanised anywhere in the first volume of the LN that I can find, only written as ダキア. I've been meaning to try to decode the writing in the anime and haven't, but a quick comparison between the map and the "c" in Tanya's surname suggests that Crunchyroll are wrong, and it is in fact spelt Dacia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
suggests that Crunchyroll are wrong, and it is in fact spelt Dacia.

OK, if we really want to be anal about this, and I am sure CR does not have any classically educated staff, so I concur with Shiroi that it is their error, BUT Dakia (hard C) would have been the Imperial Latin (Greek influenced) pronunciation of Dacia (soft C) in Vernacular Latin. That is how Kaiser is the Imperial pronunciation of Caesar (hard C and AE as AI instead of E), rather than Cesar.

To all the airplane sleuths, good show on the Bleriot, I am not too big into French designs (they all pretty much sucked until it was too late), so I just saw it as a standard design of the age rather than a specific one.

On Tanya/Patton, I think he is using all his knowledge (part history, part design, part movies/TV) to improve his lot in this world (and beat Being X), so it would be logical that he would pattern his command style after such a great (and somewhat historically correct) movie (there were also tinges of the training portions of Full Metal Jacket and All Quiet on the Western Front in there).

NB: George C. Scott makes a far better Patton than the real Patton ever did. The real Patton wasn't anywhere as physically imposing (even "manly") and had a chirpy voice. Tanya is far closer to the real Patton than GCS Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:12 am Reply with quote
If Tanya slaps an enlisted man across the face or refers to an opposing general as a "magnificent bastard" we'll know she's a Patton stand-in for sure...

By the way a battle between Tanya and Izetta - who wins? (keeping in mind that Being X would be on Izetta's side...)
Cam0

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
By the way a battle between Tanya and Izetta - who wins? (keeping in mind that Being X would be on Izetta's side...)

Tanya would just pretend to be an innocent little girl and then kill Izetta the moment she dropped her guard.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
(keeping in mind that Being X would be on Izetta's side...)

Are you sure Being X would be on Izetta's side? Being X could have killed Tanya a million times, but hasn't. I believe this is more like 1984, the State wants the people to "willingly" obey (Winston Smith could have been killed at any time, but the State took the time to break him down and "recreate" him). I think Being X wants Tanya to "willingly" convert, so he must live to see the evil of his ways and turn to Being X wholeheartedly.

If we are just doing a Superman vs. Batman schoolyard thing, then Tanya all the way, he has a killer instinct and places self preservation above all, Izetta is just another goody-goody half-written construct. Tanya just has to threaten a town and kill Izetta as she lets her guard down/overuses her powers to protect it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:12 am Reply with quote
@ lhernan02 - I agree completely with your take on what Being X's agenda is. However, if it felt that Izetta laying a beating on Tanya would help that agenda ... hmmm. Actually, Being X seems to be the "put in motion" kind of entity but doesn't appear to actively help Tanya's adversaries.

I also agree that Tanya has the advantage in wiles and ruthlessness over Izetta, but if Izetta felt that Princess Fine was in danger... hmmm.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
If Tanya slaps an enlisted man across the face or refers to an opposing general as a "magnificent bastard" we'll know she's a Patton stand-in for sure...

Izetta didn't have barrier, she replied on poor marksmanship from her enemy while Tanya has one and has an homing bullet attack. I think it's pretty obvious who would win.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:49 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I also agree that Tanya has the advantage in wiles and ruthlessness over Izetta, but if Izetta felt that Princess Fine was in danger... hmmm.

Actually, I wrote "a town" because I couldn't remember her name, but Fine would be the perfect person for Tanya to threaten, Izetta would go full blast to defend her friend without any care for her own safety, so Tanya, who would have taken this into account, could take her out at will (through whatever stratagem she had already planned to use). I am not saying it would be an easy fight (I did not see Izetta's series, but from some of the things I have read she is pretty kickass), but the outcome is predetermined.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Setting personalities and ley line restrictions aside, a Tanya vs. Izetta face-off would probably heavily favor Izetta for one reason: she's much, much faster.

Assuming that the series is using the metric system as its base unit type, Tanya is referred to as moving at around 250 kph or perhaps a bit faster, which would be incredibly fast by the standards of the early 1920s. However, fighter planes which could move at 600 kph or faster were shown having trouble keeping up with Izetta. (I could be a little off on this, as I'm using figures for the most commonly-used German fighter planes of the late 1930s rather than specifically what was shown in Izetta: The Last Witch.) Both seem about evenly-matched in maneuverability, but the prayers that Tanya has to use to employ her strongest magic also put her at a speed disadvantage, since Izetta doesn't need to do that. Tanya would have the edge if it got close-quarters, as she's clearly more combat-trained, but she wouldn't easily be able to get close-quarters on Izetta. That Izetta's manipulatives can perform complex maneuvering in pursuit of a target would also put Tanya at a disadvantage. Tanya's ability to use shields would help keep her in the game, but it has yet to be clearly-shown whether these shields are spherical or just directional. If the latter then Izetta would quickly figure that out and start sending manipulatives at her from multiple directions. (Whatever you might have thought of Izetta's intelligence, she was shown being pretty savvy and creative about adjusting tactics.)

That being said, I'll entirely agree that Tanya's ruthlessness and killer instinct is a big balancing factor, so she might come up with something suitably nasty to distract Izetta, especially if she went into the fight knowing her opponent. OTOH, she'd be much more likely to retreat from a fight she can't win to protect her own skin, so if it came down to a battle of determination Izetta might also have the edge there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Scherzo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Dakia to me seems to come from Dacia , an ancient Celtic tribe that occupied what is now Romania. Watching the Great War Channel and I can say that Romania's invasion of Austria-Hungary went about as well as Dakia's invasion here (except now Russians to bail them out).

Blood- wrote:
My question is which country is representing the Austro-Hungarian Empire in the show? I believe there has been mention of the Empire having allies, but I'm not sure they've been named yet. Unless the Empire is meant to be an amalgm of Germany and Austro-Hungary.

To me it seems that the German powers opted for a 'Grosse Deutsche' solution instead of the 'Klien Deutsche' solution of IRL; where the Northern German States and Austrian Hapsburg realms would be combined into a single state. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_Question
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

TL;Dr version, tnya has superior defense, but the offense of izetta is so much better than tanya's that if we disregard any trickery by tanya izetta wins for sure.

lhernan02 wrote:

Are you sure Being X would be on Izetta's side? Being X could have killed Tanya a million times, but hasn't. I believe this is more like 1984, the State wants the people to "willingly" obey (Winston Smith could have been killed at any time, but the State took the time to break him down and "recreate" him). I think Being X wants Tanya to "willingly" convert, so he must live to see the evil of his ways and turn to Being X wholeheartedly.

someone mentioned before that the being X vs tanya dynamic is very similar to that of umineko's. Also, it's pretty annoying that they skipped some important details regarding tanya's "gem", but just like her origin, mentioning them might be spoiler material, but that amkes discussing the nature of god something like walking on eggshells as that part gives us a tip that we miss in the anime.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I was skeptical of the show at first, so i let it slide. Then i checked out the ep5-6 review and read a line. Scrolled to see an A ranking without reading more. I felt reassured and could give the show a try.

The comparisons to Izetta are inevitable, and Tanya is better in every category. I think the historical politics and warfare of WW1 are underrepresented and here we throw in magic to the mix and it still feels rather accurate. People discuss tactics, and it seems like smart people vs smart people even on the rivalries on the same side.

I am loathe to watch another show where some brilliant quirky characters just make a mockery of their opponents just because they're 'the main characters.' Think Last Exile Season 2's first battle, unlike the first battle from Last Exile's first season.

Also the dynamic that has God vs Tanya is interesting, and I just hope they don't screw the pooch on that front, its very interesting on a philosophical level, and I want to see what the show wants to say on that front.

I mean I love them baiting me with the WW1-era setting and combat, but I'm getting more than that. Such a bargain makes me happy.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Assuming that the series is using the metric system as its base unit type, Tanya is referred to as moving at around 250 kph or perhaps a bit faster

Still the assumption is that they are using vehicle speeds (km/h) and not object speeds (m/s). 250 m/s are 900 km/h. I am inclined to the later since 250km/h are about 70 m/s and when Tanya fought the bombers she climbed several kilometers in a very few seconds. Maybe a wwii fan can tell identify the planes that fought against izetta to have their maximum speed.

Of course, the simple truth about this argument is Tanya would win in a gritty realistic war scenario and Izetta would win in a romantic "good always win wars, and jousts, and whatever and get the babe at the end".

p.s. Just realized that going by the calendar, it would be loli pixie vs. loli witch

p-p-s I am also surprised there has been no fan art of Tanya ala Charles Atlas about how she can make real men out of a bunch of pussies Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 15