• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Pilgrimage Sites to Check Off Your List

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gsfirewall

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:36 am Reply with quote
disappointed for not seeing Venice from Aria
pls
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:02 am Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
You either didn't watched Zootopia, or just didn't understand just how genius of a socio-political critic that movie greatly was.

Red Turtle didn't even had any of that, it was just an amazing movie. Zootopia was an amazing movie with powerful symbolism/metaphors delivered in a great context our world is passing by lately.

Talk about a movie that surely will win the Oscar for that reason alone, imo.

Personally, in my opinion, I watched the movie and didn't really enjoy it that much. I understood what it was saying, but I didn't find it to be "genius" at all; I just found it to be predictable and bland. It had its moments, but personally I liked Finding Dory more than Zootopia. However, that's not to say I think Finding Dory is actually a better movie as it definitely has its flaws, but it touched me more deeply. When looking at both films as objectively as possible, Zootopia is the better movie structurally, but I really don't understand the level of praise that it's gotten from a lot of people. Again, just my opinion.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised to see that Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club was a thing that existed not because I'm interested in the source material, but because I had already been through Kamakura so I was excited to see places I've already been Laughing

If I do go on pilgrimage, it'll probably be to Matsumoto in Nagano prefecture. I heart Orange and maybe if I'm lucky, I'll get to Bon Bon and hear that awesome theme song.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Never understood the whole pilgrimage phenomenon, but maybe that just makes me an old fart.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
danpmss wrote:
You either didn't watched Zootopia, or just didn't understand just how genius of a socio-political critic that movie greatly was.

Red Turtle didn't even had any of that, it was just an amazing movie. Zootopia was an amazing movie with powerful symbolism/metaphors delivered in a great context our world is passing by lately.

Talk about a movie that surely will win the Oscar for that reason alone, imo.

Personally, in my opinion, I watched the movie and didn't really enjoy it that much. I understood what it was saying, but I didn't find it to be "genius" at all; I just found it to be predictable and bland. It had its moments, but personally I liked Finding Dory more than Zootopia. However, that's not to say I think Finding Dory is actually a better movie as it definitely has its flaws, but it touched me more deeply. When looking at both films as objectively as possible, Zootopia is the better movie structurally, but I really don't understand the level of praise that it's gotten from a lot of people. Again, just my opinion.

Try researching about the themes of that movie on the internet. That movie is way deeper than what it seems to be (I'm not really in the mood for a review, nor have the time, but if more people ask why, I myself will explain the things in here sooner or later).
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
danpmss wrote:
Try researching about the themes of that movie on the internet. That movie is way deeper than what it seems to be (I'm not really in the mood for a review, nor have the time, but if more people ask why, I myself will explain the things in here sooner or later).

No, that's fine. The themes and what it had to say was pretty obvious. The movie pretty much beats you over the head with it. Unless there's something radically different that I totally missed beyond the stuff about society, discrimination, finding your place, etc. then it's not all that deep unless it's the first time you've been exposed to those themes.
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
pluvia33 wrote:
danpmss wrote:

No, that's fine. The themes and what it had to say was pretty obvious. The movie pretty much beats you over the head with it. Unless there's something radically different that I totally missed beyond the stuff about society, discrimination, finding your place, etc. then it's not all that deep unless it's the first time you've been exposed to those themes.

Look, I already seen many movies with the same kind of setting and themes, this one is what I consider genius by the addition of many other factors. It's more about the context it was used on, and the timing + obvious implications to the real world problem. It's a movie that used these concepts in a way that many of the other movies about the same things never really tried to. It was easy-going, clever without ever being fully dramatic about said things (melodrama normally ruins this kind of things for some people, while this movie was pretty much accessible and obvious for anyone, even kids), and coherently plot driven with said symbolism to the very end, without really going off-road like many other movies. It was all about execution, timing and the correct thematic. Said message being delivered in the right time, when the world is a mess because of the said problems, especially because of the recent terrorist attacks.

This might as well be the most important and relevant piece of animation of last year by FAR, because of that. Again, that's also my opinion. I could enter in way more details about the movie and explain exactly why such things were great, but you would have to wait a bit.

Last edited by danpmss on Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Never understood the whole pilgrimage phenomenon, but maybe that just makes me an old fart.

Did you ever see a place on TV and think "Boy, it'd be neat to visit there"? That's essentially what it is except a lot more tongue-in-cheek.
Whirblewind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
No Toyosato Primary School?

Garbage list. Better luck next time.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

If you don't enjoy traveling, then there's probably nothing in it for you. It's really no different from any other tourism (for most people anyway) - there's just the additional icing of spotting something familiar on top of seeing new places.

For me, the main draw is in seeing how differently things actually look in real life compared to how they looked on screen. I visited Vancouver back in the late 90s and was delighted to stumble across MacGyver's boat house (as well as random locations I recognized from half a dozen other series). I was amused to realize that its bay window was just a box hung on a solid wall that had no window at all. Plus the boat house was a neat little piece of architecture that the video version didn't do justice, since only two sides were ever shown on tv.

A lot of the tv series Starman was shot in Northern CA, so I've also visited a lot of those locations. It's fun trying to figure out where they they set up the cameras to shoot scenes from, and see how locations are often spliced together in ways that would be impossible to accomplish in real life (like places get juxtaposed during a conversation to get the backgrounds they want even though they aren't even next to each other in real life).

Parts of the opening of Brubaker were shot near where I grew up, so no pilgrimage necessary there. Likewise, some of the Emilio Estevez/Demi Moore bomb Wisdom was shot downtown here, and you can still see the marks on the wall of an underpass from a car careening off it during a chase scene. I can spot my house in the aerial shot opening American Beauty, and parts of Lucky Numbers were filmed about 10 blocks away from me (complete with fake snow, since it snows here once a decade, maybe). I'm in the catbird seat here as far as location scouting goes, so it really meshes with my interests.

If anything ever films within driving distance of you, I highly recommend giving it a try. You might just get the bug. It's a fun little diversion and you get to see a lot of other cool stuff along the way.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Before Lucky Star, Kasukabe is known as the home to the Nohara family (Crayon Shin chan). The Tobu Line actually has wrapping trains for Shin chan running right now. I see it once or twice a week, and they come in different colors.

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Likewise, some of the Emilio Estevez/Demi Moore bomb Wisdom was shot downtown here

Oh, Emilio. Where is he now...? Coach Bombay <3
peno

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
@ danpmss With all due respect to your opinion, I consider Zootopia animated version of 48 Hrs. Funny movie, that had some themes worthy of thinking, but nothing Oscar-worthy. Sorry, but that’s my opinion about the movie.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If their favorite anime involves ax-wielding yandere school girls

More like a nata-wielding yangire high school girl loli.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:09 am Reply with quote
For anime pilgrimage, I will start with the ever-important Hachiko statue. This is because Akita dogs are my fave breed after Labs (specifically, black).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
Sorry to be a couple weeks late, but I had to get this in for posterity: @enjoievan, the lead translator for the Muv-Luv visual novels, is in Japan this week, and tweeted his pilgrimage picture from the tree on the hill that appears repeatedly throughout Muv-Luv, and Rumbling Hearts before it. The tree is so iconic within the franchise, it has its own page on the Muv-Luv wiki.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2