• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chasing Flowers - Wolf's Rain and Romanticism

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KlarkKentThe3rd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:52 am Reply with quote
Well, that is some good news. Kiitos, though I said everything I wanted about the show itself.

The soundtrack however......... is another story entirely. I went through 2 bootlegs before finding a real release of volume 2 (by the mega label that owns half of japanese music, Victor). I never understood why bootleg CD almost always sound inferior. Shouldn't it be as simple as copy&paste? Or are they intentionally modifying the sound (always for the worse) to protect themselves somehow via technicality? Anyway, eventually I got volume 2. With a small blue origami dragon. That very quickly became a victim of an ink bottle tipping over. It survived, though it is now partially jet black, and I had to do some precise surgery to un-stick a few paper folds. The small dragon lives, though it will forever be partially soaked in black ink. Perhaps a romanticist will find that tragically beautiful or something.

Volume 1, I have two copies of. Both US releases (will have to sell one). Thankfully Wolf's Rain was one of those animes that were getting high quality US releases at the time (early 2000s), when it was still a very real practice to use copies of the original master tape to create overseas releases. Imagine a french band having their label release their album in Europe and the States. So, North America would be getting a copy of the stereo tape to make a CD from, a release that will sound ever so slightly inferior. Which sucks a lot if you know about it, but that was simply the most common practice of international CD and vinyl releases in the late 80s and 90s (though exceptions also happened). On the bright side, you need to really pay attention, and wear really good, detailed headphones. On the sucky side, once you notice, you can never un-notice. But Wolf's Rain did not have that problem, as were many (if not all) Geneon State-side releases. Since I own the US CD, I can see the credits of who played on which track. A big plus.

Cloud 9 is best track.
omiya

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 5:15 am Reply with quote
KlarkKentThe3rd wrote:
The soundtrack however......... is another story entirely. I went through 2 bootlegs before finding a real release of volume 2 (by the mega label that owns half of japanese music, Victor).Since I own the US CD, I can see the credits of who played on which track. A big plus.

Cloud 9 is best track.

I found both OST 1 and 2 in Tokyo (at least one in Book-Off Akihabara, which can be pricier than other Book-Off and Mandarake stores in Japan).

Well worth buying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2