• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Sword Oratoria: Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? On the Side

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's the human teeth inside the blossoms that make them particularly unsettling.

It's interesting that even more so than eyes, we deem beasts with humanoid dentition to be the thing that creeps us out the most (see Pacu fish). Very Happy

Yes, this episode was better than the last one, but I've really had enough of elf-girl's whinging Aiz-worship. Hopefully, now that she's actually managed to cast a spell, they can move on from that.

This, however, does not give me hope:

I call upon the name of Wishe. If all I can do is chase after her, then I've no choice but to continue on! Ancestors the of forest, my proud bretheren. Answer my call and come to the plains! ... Harbinger of the End, white snow, swirl and twist before the twilight. Darkening light...frozen earth. I'm not afraid... I'm not afraid! There's someone I need to catch up to! Storm of snow, three bitter winters...my name is Alf! Wynn Fimbulvetr!

If they can't focus on the drama of her spellcasting without derailing the moment by stopping to insert the same thoughts she's expressed a dozen times already, I guess I can't expect her to focus either. :/
Desa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lefiya ruins the show imo. Her voice hits a pitch that is completely aggravating to me, so the fact that she gets an absurdly large amount of the show's screen time only compounds the irritation. And I can't even recall the last time a fantasy show had spells that took SOOO GODDAMN LONG to cast, I'm just shaking the screen going "Chant FASTER you little $%!#!!". I see Lefiya, I fast forward. Her scenes aren't important to the overall plot at all.

Sadly Aiz takes a backseat to Lefiya mostly because what little personality Aiz has only shows when she's fighting really tough opponents and those won't show up until later.

Things only really start picking up when this show gets past the things already covered in DanMachi S1 since there is still a ton of overlap right now which dulls the excitement a fair bit.
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Depends on how closely they stick to the source material.

Theoretically the next arc should really get into Aiz's head and her motivations, but after the first two episodes, well...

Thanks, I'll stick with it then.
GhostD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
The problem is that JC Staff didn't show Aiz's inner thoughts or her internal monologues so it appears that Lefiya gets most of the focus. Thats the one thing people were expecting: to get in Aiz's head because while Bell's is the story of an underdog who eventually gets the glory, Aiz's story is about her motivations, purpose and backstory and the key to this is showing her inner thoughts.

I've already seen several threads with a LOT of hate on Lefiya so if JC doesnt change things after this ep, I expect a lot of people will be dropping this especially those who dont read the source materials
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Things only really start picking up when this show gets past the things already covered in DanMachi S1 since there is still a ton of overlap right now which dulls the excitement a fair bit.

That's going to take quite a while, then, as the second novel (which should be eps 4-6 or maybe 7) intersects with the main series only up through its ep 5. We've seen a clip of Aiz training with Bell on the city wall in the intro, so that's probably not coming up earlier than ep 8 or 9. Without having seen the third and fourth novels (which haven't come out in English yet), my guess is that this series is probably adapting the first four novels and probably will end the season about where the main anime ends in the timeline.

Frankly, I thought the second novel was a distinct improvement over the first, so I'm expecting the second arc to be a bit better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
So readers of the source material, will Aiz eventually be more than a side character or am I wasting my time?

Aiz should have been more of a focus from the get-go but the first third of the first book that focused on her was skipped/condensed in the anime. Lefiya was still a focus for most of the first book but the LN did it better. The anime made her more annoying, obsessive and cowardly than the novel. It didn't do Loki any favors either. I enjoyed Lefiya's killing the plant creatures by "copying the spell of the Elf Queen" more too.

Book 2 is much more focused on Aiz than book 1, and they shouldn't have as much room to screw her out of the story as they did with this first arc. I blame all faults with this anime so far on the anime's director.

Desa wrote:

I know the 2nd book at least has minimal overlap. I think just an epilogue moment at the end of the book. Maybe there was something minor at the beginning I forgot. But I don't think Aiz was in the 2nd book of the main series much either.

Last edited by Pelfmiester on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
Aiz should have been more of a focus from the get-go but the first third of the first book that focused on her was skipped/condensed in the anime. Lefiya was still a focus for most of the first book but the LN did it better. The anime made her more annoying, obsessive and cowardly than the novel. It didn't do Loki any favors either.

Book 2 is much more focused on Aiz than book 1, and they shouldn't have as much room to screw her out of the story as they did with this first arc.

So there's hope, that's nice.
Pelfmiester

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:53 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
So there's hope, that's nice.

A lot of hope if they'd stop getting so creative with their adaption and stick more to the source. Aiz has two major fights in the 2nd novel, so they'd have to change things pretty drastically to avoid focusing on her next time.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
Pelfmiester wrote:
I know the 2nd book at least has minimal overlap. I think just an epilogue moment at the end of the book. Maybe there was something minor at the beginning I forgot. But I don't think Aiz was in the 2nd book of the main series much either.

Itt will cross over in one other place: the brief scene in episode 4 of the main anime where Aiz is setting herself to face a floor boss with only Riveria present. This anime has already alluded to that scene if you know what to listen for, so I can't imagine it not giving that scene the full treatment. The opener has also shown clips from two of the other three big fights in the second novel, so the only question is whether or not spoiler[Bete's solo fight against the flower monsters to protect Loki] is going to be included. I think it'll be harder to skip than what they skipped in the first novel, as there are more direct story consequences spinning out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
And I can't even recall the last time a fantasy show had spells that took SOOO GODDAMN LONG to cast, I'm just shaking the screen going "Chant FASTER you little $%!#!!".

I didn't really think about it, but that's true in DanMachi also, in fact it is noted as REALLY unusual that Bell doesn't need to do that to cast his Firebolt spell. (which I thought was weird initially since he does scream the name of it each time) But in the final fight against the colossus thing, two spells casters need a long time to gear up their spells. While less flashy, it does help mages seem less OP.

And the "problem" is probably specific to Lefiya, since I actually really enjoy Ryuu chanting her spell, especially when she hits the end part and actually casts it.
Desa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Desa wrote:
And I can't even recall the last time a fantasy show had spells that took SOOO GODDAMN LONG to cast, I'm just shaking the screen going "Chant FASTER you little $%!#!!".

I didn't really think about it, but that's true in DanMachi also, in fact it is noted as REALLY unusual that Bell doesn't need to do that to cast his Firebolt spell. (which I thought was weird initially since he does scream the name of it each time).

There certainly was that little detail, but then again there's also Aiz's Aerial spell which is another example of chantless magic. Of course Bell and Aiz are "ze speshul" ones and the rules governing other "mere mortals" don't apply. I always just thought of it as one of those "innate spell" mechanics used in other fantasy type series for magic without casting delays.

I think some hints were dropped in DanMachi that suggested Bell's grandpa might be Zeus or something which would explain his innate affinity for Firebolt. Aiz might be similar with her affinity towards wind ^hint* ^hint*.
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
There certainly was that little detail, but then again there's also Aiz's Aerial spell which is another example of chantless magic. Of course Bell and Aiz are "ze speshul" ones and the rules governing other "mere mortals" don't apply.

They aren't the only ones with short spells. Welf's has only a very short chant (which he doesn't always use) and Lilly's is only a single sentence for both activation and deactivation. The franchise has implied that longer chant time = more powerful offensive spell; Bell can only take out more powerful foes with his Firebolt because of his Argonaut ability.

Quote:
I think some hints were dropped in DanMachi that suggested Bell's grandpa might be Zeus or something which would explain his innate affinity for Firebolt. Aiz might be similar with her affinity towards wind ^hint* ^hint*.

One of the post-anime novels for the main series (6, I think?) strongly implied that spoiler[the grandson thing was more figurative. Zeus had a preeminent Familia that was practically wiped out attempting to defeat the Black Dragon, and Bell is implied to have been the child of two of Zeus's strongest.] As for Aiz, they should be hinting at her background with the next arc of this series.
Number 6

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
, mythologically speaking: Uranus is the Roman name for Hades, the god of the underworld.

The roman name for Hades is Pluto, not Uranus. Uranus is the name for the ancient god that mated with Gaia and with that, the Titans, the Cyclopes and the Hecatoncheires were born. Uranus is Zeus's grandfather in greek mythology
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:
Quote:
, mythologically speaking: Uranus is the Roman name for Hades, the god of the underworld.

The roman name for Hades is Pluto, not Uranus. Uranus is the name for the ancient god that mated with Gaia and with that, the Titans, the Cyclopes and the Hecatoncheires were born. Uranus is Zeus's grandfather in greek mythology

Yeah, was wondering about that. Eh, nothing too bad tbh. Just a bit of a goof xD
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Number 6 wrote:

Gaia formed Uranus and then Uranus mated with Gaia, is another creation myth.

Also when Cronus castrated Uranus(what a son!) Uranus' blood created the Furies the Giants, and the Meliae.
And then Cronus threw that boody mess into the ocean,Uranus' genitals became Aphrodite.

Japanese ecchi anime has little on Greek mythology Smile

But as for the anime's adaption,the focus on Lefiya is already set in stone-viewers just got lucky this week Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9