• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Re:CREATORS

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I have a hard time buying this "realistic" angle. I have never encountered such an unbelievably milquetoast 16-year-old male in real life.

I sure have. Spoiler alert: most nerdy teenage boys are just kind of mopey and hesitant in nuanced social situations (at least, the ones I've interacted with). It takes time to grow into your own skin and be confident in yourself.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote-
Quote:
"Regardless since I HAVE seen this type of character in other anime before, he is an anime trope."

Are you hoping that Sota turns into some sort of badass action figure?

Have you considered Sota's character to be on the level of Rokuro Okajima("Rock") or Mikiya Kokuto?, but only younger.
Mojave

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Regardless since I HAVE seen this type of character in other anime before, he is an anime trope.

Not in the way you're framing it. From your tone, you are obviously trying to claim him to simply be a mindless parroting of a common trope. That's absolutely false though. There are "tropes," as in common themes or practices found in a medium or particular genres of that medium, and then there are bad "tropes," a mindless recycling of a simple archetype just for the sake of it. Some elements of his character are part of the former, benign type of trope, but the fact that there are easily established reasons for his behavior within his world automatically exlcudes his overall character from simply being the mindless bad trope that you're trying to claim him to be. It doesn't matter if you don't buy his logic, it's presented there, so your disbelief is your own personal weakness, not anything wrong with him as a character.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I have a hard time buying this "realistic" angle. I have never encountered such an unbelievably milquetoast 16-year-old male in real life.
Well in this episode Sota was hiding a huge secret so he was acting a lot more evasive than normal. Also the times when he got evasive in the past was when people brought up drawing which reminded him of Setsuna.
Desa

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
most nerdy teenage boys are just kind of mopey and hesitant in nuanced social situations (at least, the ones I've interacted with). It takes time to grow into your own skin and be confident in yourself.

I'm a nerd. Being a nerd and being mopey are mutually exclusive, granted I'm not a teenager anymore, from what I recall, the me of yesterdecade was not very different from the present me as far as self-confidence is concerned, but then again I was never one to be too concerned about what others thought of me. Just being confident in yourself at 16 isn't even all that impressive. Alexander the Great subdued Maedi when he was 16. Joan of Arc was inspired to lead France when she was only 13. Tiger Woods became a U.S. Junior Amateur Champion at 15. Perhaps growing up in an age where "safe spaces" are somehow a thing has led to a decline in more assertive youths.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Are you hoping that Sota turns into some sort of badass action figure?

Hardly. Don't need him to have a strong spine, just a spine would do.
He can start by not lying to his allies, and talking in complete sentences. Yes, my standards are THAT high.

Nordhmmer wrote:
Have you considered Sota's character to be on the level of Rokuro Okajima("Rock") or Mikiya Kokuto?, but only younger.

Not even close. Sota has done literally nothing of note for seven episodes. The last 2 episodes in particular he has done nothing but hem and haw. Comparing him to Rokuro Okajima is a bad joke.

Mojave wrote:
Some elements of his character are part of the former, benign type of trope, but the fact that there are easily established reasons for his behavior within his world automatically exlcudes his overall character from simply being the mindless bad trope that you're trying to claim him to be.

Never said his character was illogical or "mindless". I can infer possible reasons WHY he's acting the way he is as well as anyone else. I'm saying I've seen this type of indecisive behavior in many anime characters and I have nothing but contempt for it. It's a matter of personal taste, nothing more. Many people view the word "trope" with a negative connotation, but I don't see it that way. To me it simply means that something has been done enough times that it becomes "a thing":
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDitherer

Chrono1000 wrote:
Well in this episode Sota was hiding a huge secret so he was acting a lot more evasive than normal.

I wouldn't call it a "huge secret" seeing as how someone just did a similar web search and encountered the same information. At best it's "obscure trivia".

Chrono1000 wrote:
Also the times when he got evasive in the past was when people brought up drawing which reminded him of Setsuna.

Did I miss something? How do we concretely know this? I thought he didn't talk about his drawings because he just considers his work inadequate and unpresentable.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
I'm a nerd. Being a nerd and being mopey are mutually exclusive, granted I'm not a teenager anymore, from what I recall, the me of yesterdecade was not very different from the present me as far as self-confidence is concerned, but then again I was never one to be too concerned about what others thought of me. Just being confident in yourself at 16 isn't even all that impressive. Alexander the Great subdued Maedi when he was 16. Joan of Arc was inspired to lead France when she was only 13. Tiger Woods became a U.S. Junior Amateur Champion at 15. Perhaps growing up in an age where "safe spaces" are somehow a thing has led to a decline in more assertive youths.

Yes, those are nice exceptions you've listed, I'm sure the majority of all teenagers, especially Japanese teenagers are brash prodigies and legendary figures. Also who even mentioned safe spaces, lol.

Quote:
I wouldn't call it a "huge secret" seeing as how someone just did a similar web search and encountered the same information. At best it's "obscure trivia".

Not Altair's name and source, but his role in her creation.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Well took me two days,but yes indeed Revy has made her appearance.Yes it may just be on the cover but she is there Cool (12:50 ish)

now lets see

@Desa
Sota is a 'beta' in these early episodes,my assumption is his character will grow much like Rokuro Okajima's did,no not exactly into Rock.
I figure Makagami will kidnap Sota,and or try to kill Mamika within a few episodes,
then we'll get how Sota is involved with Altair's creation.
Theory I like as of now is, Sota shared his original concept work with Setsuna.She built off of his main character,and ended up with Altair.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I knew that it was a bad idea for Mamika to fight Altair by herself but that was a quick fight. Granted magical girls do play by Highlander rules so I doubt that Mamika is dead but the writers definitely want you to wonder about that. I mean they even give her a goodbye speech with Alicetaria.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Despite the death flags popping up this episode I was hoping the episode wouldn't end like that. Especially with how brutal the treatment is. I think my reaction was something akin to "Jesus [expletive] Christ Rei!".

Alot of Mamika's arc is reaffirming the value of courage and belief in making the world a better place, even in a world where hope and idealism doesn't always produce results. Mamika confronted Altair despite knowing that the fight might be hopeless.

If it were a western show, this would be the moment where Superman gets killed. The darkest point of the series before the dawn.

Although even if the situation seems dire there is still an out for Mamika. I wonder if later on in the series Mamika's anime team will rewrite the later episodes so Mamika dies and gets revived through the power of belief. It'd definitely be a poetic way to reaffirm Mamika's arc and connect with Meteora's belief in the creators.

As for Sota, with this episode I get why Sota is keeping a secret and why he can't bring himself to draw or show his work. My theory about what happened is that Sota and Setsuna were two artists, Setsuna being the much better artist of the two. Sota made a character called Altair and posted it online to very little fanfare. Setsuna asked Sota if she could draw it. And Setsuna proceeded to improve the character far beyond Sota's original design and then it blew up. Probably in a fit of jealousy Sota revealed that Altair was originally his character. And the internet being the internet, dogpiled on Setsuna.

Just my speculation, but yeah... I understand Sota's immense amount of guilt and why he wouldn't want to talk about it. It's one things to unload your troubles onto somebody who cares about you. It's another to admit that you did an incredibly garbage thing to a friend, and that said garbage thing caused damage that you can't repair. He doesn't want Meteora or Selestia to think less of him.

Last edited by Doodleboy on Sat May 27, 2017 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Desa

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
At first I thought Altair was just being chuuni as per her "script" but the reality is somehow even lamer than that. She has clearly taken it upon herself to become the embodiment of what she believes was Setsuna's inner feelings, which basically boils down to "teenage-rejection-hurts-woe-is-me-boohoo-cryfest". Yep, ending the world because of some girl's teenage angst and insecurity. As far as villains go, Altair is bottom barrel. Without a good antagonist, Re-Creators risks losing even more momentum.

1/3 of the series is over and Sota still has zero redeeming moments. Naturally he still struggles to speak in complete sentences, which I'm afraid is not going to change any time soon. Most of my rage regarding the inadequacies of Sota's character was at least somewhat assuaged during his run in with Magane (bless her soul). Watching his dumb ass quivering as Magane sets off all his triggers was just the catharsis I needed.

Also, I think more magical girls should carry staves with a "nuclear" setting. Megumin would be proud.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
Although even if the situation seems dire there is still an out for Mamika. I wonder if later on in the series Mamika's anime team will rewrite the later episodes so Mamika dies and gets revived through the power of belief. It'd definitely be a poetic way to reaffirm Mamika's arc and connect with Meteora's belief in the creators.

Mamika had four swords (at least!) in her, and still had enough strength to stand and shout her attack. If she has mahou shoujo stamina, who says she doesn't have mahou shoujo healing as well? She's based off a kids anime, after all. Plus, its magic, which means it doesn't necessarily have to work by ordinary rules..

But that being said... she's probably dead. It makes sense for the narrative to have a major death right about now, and answering the question of "what happens when a Created dies" will probably have huge implications for the rest of the series. It could be that the relationship between the creator universe and the created universes might be more than one way, i.e. that killing a Created might have a reciprocal -- and negative -- effect on the Creator universe.

Tho if Mamika is now gone... I'll be sad, because she was growing on me.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:41 pm Reply with quote
Desa wrote:
Also, I think more magical girls should carry staves with a "nuclear" setting. Megumin would be proud.

right before the 'explosion' setting you mean Wink

DeTroyes wrote:
Doodleboy wrote:

Mamika had four swords (at least!) in her, and still had enough strength to stand and shout her attack. If she has mahou shoujo stamina, who says she doesn't have mahou shoujo healing as well? She's based off a kids anime, after all. Plus, its magic, which means it doesn't necessarily have to work by ordinary rules..

But that being said... she's probably dead. It makes sense for the narrative to have a major death right about now, and answering the question of "what happens when a Created dies" will probably have huge implications for the rest of the series. It could be that the relationship between the creator universe and the created universes might be more than one way, i.e. that killing a Created might have a reciprocal -- and negative -- effect on the Creator universe.

Tho if Mamika is now gone... I'll be sad, because she was growing on me.

funny enough as I was watching the swords impale her i was thinking "huh i bet it'd be really convenient if spoiler[your soul was stored in your magical stick and your body was nothing more than a glorified meat puppet for the sake of convenience"] like madoka's mahou shoujo.

Other than that I'm sad that Yuuya's creator's first impression was such an asshole since he seemed like he'd have been pretty chill with his creator.

As for Magane it looks like she's gonna be a real bitch of a character; Souta already has had great difficulty in expressing his feelings due to the guilt and insecurity he feels.
With her knowing his secret its just going to be 10 times harder for him to express himself to his friends since he's going to be constantly terrified of what she'll do with her information.

While MUP's (i like this name better) goals may come across as childish and self centered I think it all depends on how and when Setsuna's story is told; since if a person is cornered so badly that they contemplate and go through with committing suicide they're in a very dark place, and if they had the power to lash out at the world they would. But if they had that power they probably wouldn't take their lives anyway.

tl;dr
MUP's goals seem logical but setsuna's perspective is missing.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Calsolum wrote:

While MUP's (i like this name better) goals may come across as childish and self centered I think it all depends on how and when Setsuna's story is told; since if a person is cornered so badly that they contemplate and go through with committing suicide they're in a very dark place, and if they had the power to lash out at the world they would. But if they had that power they probably wouldn't take their lives anyway.

tl;dr
MUP's goals seem logical but setsuna's perspective is missing.

It's incredibly possible Setsuna used MUP as an outlet during her depression. Essentially writing MUP as a way to process the betrayal and loneliness she felt. She wouldn't be the first creator to do something like that. Anno and Shinji Ikari being the prime example.

And being as young as she is and a hobbyist, MUP's character description and storyline would probably be more in line with her own feelings and worldview than a professional creator. So essentially MUP is Setsuna's self-insert at the worst point of her life. And since she is fictional, a character that can act on the destructive impulses that Setsuna wouldn't have acted on.

I remember a quote by Stephen King saying that writing is telepathy. Art is a way to process our emotions, sometimes emotions too harmful to express in real life. So imagine a character made to process those harmful emotions made manifest, a destructive revenge power fantasy. You probably have somebody like the MUP.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
So imagine a character made to process those harmful emotions made manifest, a destructive revenge power fantasy. You probably have somebody like the MUP.

Yeah, that's the impression that I am getting. I still think there has to be a bit more to it than that, though, especially since Rie Horie and Ei Aoki have both shown in the past to be adept at delving into the dark places in the soul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
I think that it is especially interesting that while Altair seems to be such an outlet written by Setsuna, that we expect her to represent a sort of hatred on the world for betrayal. That Sota's part seems to be that he is the other side of those feelings, that he is the one who did the betrayal, Altair reaction to him in the first episode only makes it more curious. Altair recognised him and seems aware of his significance, but she did not seem to actually show hatred against him, instead it was.... I don't know but it must mean something for Setsuna's part in things.

Also, not Mamika! There was a particular video I watched recently that talked about what she has meant to be an important part of this show, and all of the flags seem sad so quickly after it released.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 13 of 33