• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Final Fantasy XIV Producer: Talks on Possible Switch/Xbox One Release Will Take Time

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yoshida already explained for the longest why XIV isn't on Xbox One. I expect it on Switch before Xbox One if Nintendo doesn't have the issues as MS, which Yoshida has exposed Phil on.
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:54 pm Reply with quote
As KH91 said, FFXIV on XBONE has a big issue, and it comes from Microsoft's policy of not mixing servers with Sony's consoles (and, possibly, Nintendo's). This is obviously stupid for an MMO, and unless they rethink that policy even if it's only for FFXIV, it most likely won't happen.
In regards to the Switch, I have no idea what the true power of the console is, but it isn't as poweful as a PS4, so it would become the weakest system in the family, meaning it'd drag down the game as a whole, since they'd have to craft things taking the minimum power as a reference, and it wouldn't be the PS4 anymore, but a less powerful system, the Switch. FFXIV already had problems with the PS3, I don't think the devs would like to deal with something that'd limit the development, but in the end, that depends on the publisher.
Estelle the White Mage

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Neither console will get a FFXIV port due to hardware limitations. The Xbone and Switch are both grossly inferior to the spec performance of the PS4 and PCs. Adding either of those, particularly the Switch, would be nothing more than limiting what content or features can be introduced.

Hell, the big thing about Stormblood is dropping PS3 support, which will allow the PS4 and PC hardware to blossom with better features that weren't achievable with the PS3.
Things like more inventory space and better graphical support weren't possible with the PS3. I highly, highly doubt that adding the Xbone or Switch, both inferior to PS4's specs, will contribute positively to the game's performance.
chronos02

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Estelle the White Mage wrote:
Things like more inventory space [...] weren't possible with the PS3.

Yoshi P already stated that inventory limitation was not a problem related to the PS3, it was a server-side problem. The PS3 was able to handle that without issue. The main problem came from shader limits, processing power limits and memory limits, which made it impossible to make bigger areas, increasingly complex detail such as more complex particle systems that made use of physics, and many other things related to the amount of stuff that must be on screen. All these things cannot be solved with lower object detail and making certain things have lower texture resolution, making "unimportant" models not renderable, or have distant objects simply disappear earlier. Having the PS4 as the lowest system made it possible so the minimum number of stuff on-screen was bigger, so having more important objects on screen was possible (a landscape having more detail, or certain objects having more geometry). It will also be possible to have more complex shaders, which translates into a much higher graphical fidelity, like the POM with self shadow that they're using, maybe it'l be upgraded.

Also, XBONE wouldn't be a big problem, its internal architecture is like that of a PC, so a port for XBONE wouldn't be a hard thing to do. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to get one of the PC configs as the XBONE standard, plus, the Scorpio should be coming soon, and the architecture seems to be the same, but with more raw power, or that's what I've heard, so having the port made for the XBONE would work for them, since that'd be less work to do for the Scorpio. Also, in theory, it wouldn't be an issue for the development of the game, since the XBONE is able to use the same shaders and stuff that the PS4 uses, simply with less power. Alas, I'm not sure that'd pay off in the long run, XBOX is a system that simply doesn't sell in Japan, and japanese companies don't want to develop for it. Look at the IDOLM@STER series, the first was released for the XBOX, the second for the 360, and that's that, the second was redone for the PS3 and the sequels were Sony exclusives.
FG_Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:17 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
Estelle the White Mage wrote:
Things like more inventory space [...] weren't possible with the PS3.

Yoshi P already stated that inventory limitation was not a problem related to the PS3, it was a server-side problem. The PS3 was able to handle that without issue. The main problem came from shader limits, processing power limits and memory limits, which made it impossible to make bigger areas, increasingly complex detail such as more complex particle systems that made use of physics, and many other things related to the amount of stuff that must be on screen. All these things cannot be solved with lower object detail and making certain things have lower texture resolution, making "unimportant" models not renderable, or have distant objects simply disappear earlier. Having the PS4 as the lowest system made it possible so the minimum number of stuff on-screen was bigger, so having more important objects on screen was possible (a landscape having more detail, or certain objects having more geometry). It will also be possible to have more complex shaders, which translates into a much higher graphical fidelity, like the POM with self shadow that they're using, maybe it'l be upgraded.

Also, XBONE wouldn't be a big problem, its internal architecture is like that of a PC, so a port for XBONE wouldn't be a hard thing to do. I'm pretty sure they'd be able to get one of the PC configs as the XBONE standard, plus, the Scorpio should be coming soon, and the architecture seems to be the same, but with more raw power, or that's what I've heard, so having the port made for the XBONE would work for them, since that'd be less work to do for the Scorpio. Also, in theory, it wouldn't be an issue for the development of the game, since the XBONE is able to use the same shaders and stuff that the PS4 uses, simply with less power. Alas, I'm not sure that'd pay off in the long run, XBOX is a system that simply doesn't sell in Japan, and japanese companies don't want to develop for it. Look at the IDOLM@STER series, the first was released for the XBOX, the second for the 360, and that's that, the second was redone for the PS3 and the sequels were Sony exclusives.

It's not on Xbox because they don't want to mix servers with PC and PSN. Currently, people on PC and PSN could play with each other. Talks with Microsoft went south a long time ago because they wanted Xbox to have its own separate server with only Xbox players on it. Square Enix didn't want to divide the player base so its just PSN and PC users playing together.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
XBOX is a system that simply doesn't sell in Japan

This is probably the biggest reason we won't see an Xbone version of ff xiv, they would be putting money, staff man hours, and other miscellaneous resources on a ship that has long since sailed.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
XBOX is a system that simply doesn't sell in Japan

This is probably the biggest reason we won't see an Xbone version of ff xiv, they would be putting money, staff man hours, and other miscellaneous resources on a ship that has long since sailed.

FFXI was ported to the 360 back in the day and while I fully admit by then FFXI had been past the peak it still sold low numbers compared to the ps2 and pc versions. Between the microsoft wanting it to have its own servers and most likely a low sales number are 2 good reason it probably wont come to the XOne.
chronos02

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
FG_Scientist wrote:
It's not on Xbox because they don't want to mix servers with PC and PSN. Currently, people on PC and PSN could play with each other. Talks with Microsoft went south a long time ago because they wanted Xbox to have its own separate server with only Xbox players on it. Square Enix didn't want to divide the player base so its just PSN and PC users playing together.

You clearly didn't read my first post...

quoting it since it's hard to look two posts above:

chronos02 wrote:
As KH91 said, FFXIV on XBONE has a big issue, and it comes from Microsoft's policy of not mixing servers with Sony's consoles (and, possibly, Nintendo's). This is obviously stupid for an MMO, and unless they rethink that policy even if it's only for FFXIV, it most likely won't happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1