• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Rumiko Talkahashi

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:47 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I want to say though that Rinne is purely a comedy show. It's not alike to Inuyasha at all like they're saying it is. I find it a big shame people dismiss Rinne as much as they do. I get it that not everyone is interested in it or finds it funny, but I would've expected Rumiko fans to give it more of a chance and be more open to it.

100% think the very same way. I may be generalizing "older" fans here, but from what I've seen, the Takahashi fans from years past completely dismiss her current works. While it's understandable to an extent since it's changed so much over the years; it's just a bit disappointing to constantly see Takahashi experts who don't cover or care about her current work. I'm not saying the podcasters didn't do a good job nor that they have to enjoy everything she does, but it hinders discussions when there are only certain works her fans want to cover. I too initially thought that RINNE was just a InuYasha/Bleach hybrid but upon actually giving it some viewing, it's more in tune with her pure slapstick comedy akin to the Ranma days. Not my favorite of her works but it certainly worth talking about, if purely for comparison sake and easter eggs. I'm glad that this episode talked about them as extensively as they did, but it was hard to get past the occasional incorrect statements and lack of knowledge.

Now I grew up in the Inuyasha adult swim era, so that alone may speak volumes of my opinion, but I have at least gone back to the glory days of her works with Maison Ikkoku, Ranma 1/2, Mermaid Scar, Maris, Fire Tripper, and some Urusei Yatsura (which is much harder to track down nowadays) and have even moved ahead out of curiosity and kept up enough with the RINNE TV anime. I find it interesting how she's adapted (for better or worse) to the current trends of manga & anime, which could lead to some interesting discussions. However the general dismissal of Inuyasha and RINNE really prevents fans from truly dissecting her work span as a whole. I sure hope more fans of her work open up to more in depth discussions of these newer shows in the future.

Anyways, congrats on 300 episodes! Personally I agree with Dawn that Maison Ikkoku is my favorite manga/anime adaptation of her work. It's still retains so much charm and appeal for me that I'm willing to look past some of it's shortcomings. Also, I feel it wraps up in a heartwarming and conclusive way, which is super rare for her. Zach really needs to re-read some of it instead of basing it off memories from 20 years ago. There are a few passionate moments between Godai and Kyoko towards the end of the manga.

One last side note: Out of the 2 live-action Maison Ikkoku adaptations that I know of, Jackie Chan never starred in it. Being a big fan of his movies, it raised an eyebrow from me hearing that statement. He did play Ryō Saeba in the Hong Kong version of City Hunter. Maybe that was part of the confusion? His IMDB list shows no sign of Maison Ikkoku either.
GoldenPincers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I want to say though that Rinne is purely a comedy show. It's not alike to Inuyasha at all like they're saying it is. I find it a big shame people dismiss Rinne as much as they do. I get it that not everyone is interested in it or finds it funny, but I would've expected Rumiko fans to give it more of a chance and be more open to it.

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
The Takahashi fans from years past completely dismiss her current works. While it's understandable to an extent since it's changed so much over the years; it's just a bit disappointing to constantly see Takahashi experts who don't cover or care about her current work.

xXInfinite026Xx wrote:
I find it interesting how she's adapted (for better or worse) to the current trends of manga & anime, which could lead to some interesting discussions. However the general dismissal of Inuyasha and RINNE really prevents fans from truly dissecting her work span as a whole. I sure hope more fans of her work open up to more in depth discussions of these newer shows in the future.

^
Preach these words! I completely agree. RINNE may not be the best series or the best comedy, but it's still definitely an important part of Takahashi's work and something people should respect more, as it's nowhere near bad. Just because someone doesn't like the slapstick, dry humor of RINNE's spirits-of-the-week formula, or the shift in genres for Inuyasha in its Action/Adventure shenanigans compared to her pre-Inuyasha works, isn't a reason to dismiss them as worthless series.
Japan seems to understand that. I mean, InuYasha wouldn't have become the super popular and well-regarded adventure tale that went on for many years, and RINNE wouldn't have gotten 3 two-cour seasons, with the manga far ahead and still going, if people didn't respect and support her.

PS: Not sure how anyone would compare RINNE to InuYasha. They are completely different series at core with different genres. Takahashi went back to her roots of slapstick RomCom, like Urusei and Ranma, but with dry humor, spirits and a whole lot of cats.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
I have only been able to stand to watch Urusai Yatsura in Japanese with subtitles. Has there ever been a decent English dub for the show or any of the movies? Or are they all uniformly awful?

The movies, yes, there has been a decent dub. All discussion of "AnimEigo did an awful UY dub!" seems to historically end at their first aborted "garage-made" attempt at dubbing "Those Obnoxious Aliens" with their own talent, but years later, AnimEigo hired an outside company to dub all six Movies/OVA's with professional talent.
And not too badly, either--Instead of trying to follow the manga's lead of trying to give Lum an "exotic alien accent", they hired Shannon Settlemyre, who was enough of a fan to do Lum's "Darling!" voice perfectly by ear. (And a not-too-bad Ten-chan, as well.)

All that exists (intact and/or not sped-up Evil or Very Mad ) off of disk and on YouTube, sadly, is the failed-audition reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0gZA7G2OgE

Quote:
I usually have little or no interest in shipping, but I have developed some views about guys and gals of Ranma 1/2.
- Nabiki & Kuno. I always suspected that Nabiki has had a marriage contract with Kuno-kun from the time when they were both in the Japanese equivalent of kindergarten, probably witnessed by their teacher and possibly even notarized. She's just waiting for him to get over Akane before she whips it out to enforce it.

For most of the series, Nabiki's usual idea of romance is in seeing who can get to pay the bills, and Kuno is enough of an ideal idiot for him to be her personal cash-register for photo sales and inside info, and never, ever get wise enough to stop being one.
But the episode where the faulty fortune-prediction convinces Kuno that his true destiny is to give up Akane and the Pigtailed Girl and pursue his future with Nabiki makes it pretty clear where she stands on him...er, with him for any more longterm commitments.
She's not happy about it, and at the end, it was the only time in the series Kuno got THREE female Tendo/Saotome feet kicking him into orbit.

Last edited by EricJ2 on Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:39 am; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Interesting to hear that, according to Zac and Dawn, many people don't consider "Beautiful Dreamer" a typical Urusei yatsura thing or that the tone is totaly different. It's not my experience, though. I watched around 100+ episodes of the TV series on french television in the late eighties before I saw any of the movies, so I was already quite familiar with the main characters and the tone of the series when I first saw Beautiful Dreamer around 1995. The movie's mood reminded me of some of the TV series more strange and darker episodes of the Oshii era (especially some around episode 75-100), but for people who saw the movie first and then went to see the first couples of TV episodes, the tone and style is indeed quite different, and I can understand a bit when they're taken aback by it.

It's definitely the most independently indulgent "Oshii-ish"--like the Mom's-nightmare and Ten-little-Indians episode, or Oshii's early-draft of "Fast Food Grifters" that turned up as a UY episode with Lum, Ataru & Megane helping out--but unlike the other movies' attempts to copy Dreamer's "eeriness", it's also got enough moments of the trademark slapstick and absurdity.
(Like Mr. Moroboshi's reaction to seeing Mendou and the gang land a Harrier jump-jet on the front lawn..."Ano NAA!")

The movies after that were from Kazuo Yamasaki's more stylized and fairytale seasons, and there was the mindset that they "had" to follow Dreamer's lead for surrealistic mystery, but it's sort of stuck out of place in the first half of Movie 3, "Remember My Love", and Movie 4, "Lum the Forever" goes so over the top for abstract eeriness, it's painfully 95% laugh-free and singlehandedly sent the movie Final-Chaptering in the next.
Dreamer just hit the right notes--Also compared to Movie 1, "Only You", which Oshii hated for being all first-season farce and running-character-gag callback. And which it is, but not too bad at that. Anime catgrin

Alan45 wrote:
It is rumored that AnimEigo dubbed the first couple of episodes of the TV series for VHS but that reaction was so negative that these dubs are not on the DVDs.

Otaku-sempai wrote:
I have heard some of those existing dubs and they were bad--really bad. It's no wonder that it was a short-lived experiment.

Again, people, people: THE MOVIE DUBS EXIST. The good ones. The "real" ones. The professional ones. The AnimEigo hired-studio ones besides CPM's Dreamer dub, of the other five movies.
https://www.amazon.com/Urusei-Yatsura-Movie-Only-You/dp/B0000C2IWW/
https://www.amazon.com/Urusei-Yatsura-Movie-Remember-Love/dp/B0002F6AI4
(They even did a better English voice for Ryuunusuke in Movie 3 than her brief bit in CPM's Dreamer dub that didn't know who the character was.)
The Final Chapter dub seems to be MIA on Amazon, though.

The ones made AFTER those ones you've spent the last twenty years complaining about.
Thanks to AnimEigo, you'll have a little trouble finding one, unless you know of a good library in your state with an anime collection, have unusually good luck with third-party Amazon sellers, or have a friend who's been into anime since the late 90's and doesn't mind loaning out his stuff.
O-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally listen to or respond to the podcast but since this was covering Rumiko Takahashi I gave it a listen. I wanted to inject some of my own thoughts having followed and collected the majority of her works (I have all of her main anime series sans Rinne):

Urusei Yatsura
I actually agree with the podcasters on that I feel UY does hold up a lot better over time. For the anime and manga it's for different reasons though. The manga was very anything goes and you got to see the evolution of Takahashi's style during the 80s (I always felt her late 80s art was always her best). There was an energy to the manga that I haven't really seen matched in terms of long running fun. Now for the anime it was a bit different but it had many pioneers of the 80s/90s anime industry behind it and, for it's time, it was very ahead of the curve in terms of animation style, character writing, and how it used it's comedy in a much more universal understanding of adult humor and commentary. What I'm trying to say is, while the show was definitely 80s, the way it handled its jokes and translated Takahashi's humor from the manga it worked on multiple levels. The characterization also felt a lot richer and more thought out thanks to Oshii going full "Talking Heads" mode sometimes. Overall UY ended up being quite an experience and while the "Takahashi-lag" is present there it's a lot less pronounced and both the anime and manga manage to surprise you throughout it's run.

Also, little add on note: the podcast said the movies "weren't canon" but honestly Movie 5 was freaking the entire Final volume of the manga. Also nothing happens in the movies that contradicts the day-to-day sitcomy-ness of the anime.

Maison Ikkoku
Once again, I agree with the podcasters but I wanted to point out a particular detail concerning the anime versus the manga. To me, the manga is a better way to experience the story but not because of the pacing but in terms of how they handled Kyoko and Godai's character development. After the first 26 episodes of the anime when CD Yuji Moriyama left and Akemi Takada there was also a shift in the tone of the show. Everything became quieter and much more subdued but it also felt like Godai became slightly more mature while Kyoko seemed to have less agency as a character.

In the manga there was this very gradual development with Godai and Kyoko's personality. Kyoko was always VERY temperamental but at least we got into her headspace and knew her inner workings. For whatever reason after the early episodes the anime version decided to make Kyoko into a "yamato nadeshiko" with the occasional flip switch.
Here's a good example:
There was an arc where a disagreement between Godai and Kyoko leads to Godai injuring himself and ending up in the hospital with a broken leg. In the manga it's the typical "Takahashi misunderstanding" where Kyoko is internalizing her own thought track on Godai's life and she eventually blows up at him and the two have a VERY public yelling match. In the anime this yelling match never happens and instead you just have Kyoko becoming more withdrawn until she puts herself in danger and Godai has to act.
This, to me, really affected how I felt about the anime.

Yes, it was still a beautiful love story but the manga did a better job with not watering down Kyoko's personality, having Godai go through some key life arcs and actually doing a tasteful scene of their consummation (which is why I REALLY disagree with Zac's comments on their relationship chemistry towards the end of the podcast).

Ranma 1/2

This is where stuff gets divisive. I agree with the podcast generally that while Ranma was the "Attack on Titan" of the early VHS era it has long since outworn it's welcome. I think part of the reason why is a lot of the humor in the show was derived from misunderstandings based off conservative heteronormative standards on gender. Since Ranma, at least in America, ideals of gender, sexuality, and identity has changed so much that the Ranma show comes off as extremely homophobic and racist (yeah, Shampoo's chinese talk nonwithstanding). I also feel that while UYs anime adaption felt like an expansion and exploration of ideas from the manga Ranma was the exact opposite. A lot of the true quality of the show was in the first season, movies and OAVs. Everything else was YMMV. Now I don't think the Ranma anime was complete crap but it's like for every 22 episodes per "season" you would get, at best, about a dozen worthwhile episodes. Season 2 semi-continued the serial nature established in Season 1 but once Happosai got on board you had an animated mess of a show. To me, Ranma is better taken in bits and pieces throughout it's remaining seasons (like the Ukyo Secret Sauce arc, Akane hospital episode and Ranma meeting his real mom being the high watermark of quality) but this is definitely where the "overstaying it's welcome" syndrome started to kick in for her works. Unfortunately, I do think some of her best works were in many of the unanimated material.

Inuyasha
Inuyasha is pretty much the Dragonball Z of the Rumiko Takahashi spectrum. Even if you are not familiar with anything else she's done, people knew what Inuyasha was. The promotion of the English version of the anime came at the perfect time when CN was experimenting with their Adult Swim block and they needed a staple for the "Anime Action" Saturday nights. Lo and behold, Inuyasha and Cowboy Bebop are probably the two shows that pretty much helped carry that block. Now personally I was on board when Viz was releasing the manga "almost simultaneous" with Japan and, in the beginning, Inuyasha had a lot of promise. I liked her Mermaid Saga stuff and I felt Takahashi was great at developing horror "atmospheres". Inuyasha was like a marriage between her Mermaid Saga stuff and the more action oriented parts of Ranma. For example the manga version of the Noh-Mask storyline just had this very dark and imposing feel throughout, nevermind the body-horror moment when the creature revealed itself. The problem is after Naraku revealed he was collecting the Shikon Jewel the series began to stagnate...badly. While the "Band of Seven" arc did bring some much needed intensity back into the series in then just dwindled into a cycle of Tetsuiga and Naraku power ups until someone finally told Takahashi she can bury the horses broken corpse.

I actually think that "Final Act" was a merciful remedy for the anime version since it acted as an abridged version of the manga events and wrapped up everything in a much less infuriating time.

Other Works
I don't agree with Zac on Mermaid's Saga. Back in the day it actually surprised me how well Takahashi's artwork could shift from comedy to horror. I actually used to joke with my cousin on what she took to master such a genre shift. The thing about a lot of Takahashi's short stories (especially her Rumic World stuff) is there was a very touching human element to them. They managed to capture the softness of the more tender moments of Maison Ikkoku. It's too bad this stuff is out of print because I do think they were some good short stories.

RINNE
I agree with everything they said in the podcast but I want to explain the "why". To me RINNE doesn't bring anything new to the table and, if anything, feels like the Rumiko Takahashi version of the early parts of Bleach. With everything else she did it was a pioneer to:
the harem anime, the standards for 80s animation, a lot of directors and animators legacies, her shortest and best written work, the first long running-dub, the longest running anime staple (outside of DBZ, and pre- Naruto/Bleach) on an American cable network, the first series to mix genres and so on. UY, MI, Ranma and Inuyasha have all established a legacy within the history of anime in one form or another. OTOH, RINNE is "just there" it's predictable, sterile, and while a good read or watch when you have nothing to do it's largely forgettable. Everything else also had the benefit of going through "phases" with Takahashi's writing and art while RINNE has had almost 10 years of mediocrity.

In the end Rumiko Takahashi is up there with Stan Lee, Hanna-Barbera, Go Nagai, Osamu Tezuka. Even if she's not relevant now, she has already become a legend.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Otaku-sempai

Dubs of Urusai Yatsura are not so much bad as almost non existent. Of the movies only Beautiful Dreamer was dubbed, I have no idea how good or bad it is. The DVDs of all the TV series and OVAs do not contain a dub. It is rumored that AnimEigo dubbed the first couple of episodes of the TV series for VHS but that reaction was so negative that these dubs are not on the DVDs.

Do you HAVE any of the AnimEigo Urusei Yatsura DVDs?

I've SEEN the dub of the first TV Urusei Yatsura episode... It's BAD. I don't know how a dub apologist can say it isn't bad. I don't blame them for NOT including it on the DVDs. Who would WANT that on the DVDs? It's spectacularly bad.

The dub of the first UY episode shows up now and again online... It's not hard at all to find if you spend a few minutes looking for it. It may still be on YouTube. The VHS release was titled "Those Obnoxious Aliens" and I am VERY glad I skipped that one when I saw it in-store!

You're also wrong about the UY movies. ALL of them were dubbed. They don't advertise this well on the DVD packaging but the English language audio option is there on the AnimEigo DVDs. As far as I can remember, those movies DID show up on DVD in the old Media Play and Suncoast stores. (The UY TV series and OVAs I think were mail-order only... Many of the one-shot and movies releases AnimEigo had licenses to did show up in stores. Yawara was one of the few AE releases I remember seeing in-store at Best Buy.)
The movies are the only part of UY that was completely dubbed although the dub cast for the second film I'm sure is different since the second movie was licensed by CPM, not AnimEigo.

The second UY movie is also being re-released on Blu ray within the next year, 18 months by Discotek. The rest of UY is controlled by a different Japanese company... That's not unusual for anime. The original KOR pilot film was also done by a different company and AnimEigo was not able to work a deal with them which is why AnimEigo didn't release the KOR pilot with its KOR releases.

The reason why the second UY film is such a big deal is because it's directed by Mamorou Oshii, the guy who directed the original Ghost in the Shell anime feature, Jin-Roh, and a bit of Patlabor. Besides, MIyazaki, he's one of the highly-regarded anime directors in the West although a lot of us (who aren't online critics) find his work hit-and-miss. I frankly HATED the second GiTS anime feature (talking heads B.S.) and find a lot of his work obtuse...

I used to be a Rumiko Takahashi fan however when you grow up, her work generally doesn't. Much of it hasn't aged well for me. It's great work for anime fans in their teens and early 20s but I don't see it appealing much to people past age 23. Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku are totally different shows from Inu Yasha... I couldn't stand IY enough to bother watching much of it on CN. UY -- I've seen all the movies, finished a quarter of the TV series, watched ONLY the last OVA (2008) and still haven't seen the rest even though I have all the DVD releases done in the West (except the original awful Image DVD release for UY: Only You. I bought the second remastered DVD release CMP did). It's very Japanese -- it's full of humor and cultural myths that just fly over my head as a citizen of the West. Very, very hard to get into even with the liner notes AnimEigo provided with the series.

Maison Ikkoku? Probaby the best Takahashi-inspired anime series I've seen that never caught on in the West. It doesn't run TOO long and there's not a lot of filler or made-up crap for it. The themes are basic enough that you can follow it -- it's basically relationship stuff -- BUT it's not Ranma 1/2-stupid crazy or has the made-up ninja/martlal arts things that drive me crazy outside of contained movies. Definitely very underrated in the West.

Ranma 1/2 is far more basic... It's like DBZ in a sense -- it's animated wrestling and not a deep show at all. It's also because of that very disposable. Now, I don't agree that only the first season is good -- I think that's EXTREMELY shallow reasoning by Zac and I would agree that I would tend to be very cautious to follow his recommendations. I personally DID NOT like the finished animation as much on the first eighteen episodes (different production company than the rest of the series) even though the storylines were decent. I think about half the TV series has decent episodes, half of it is disposable. The first season does NOT have all the good episodes. I think Seasons 1-3 have decent content, the last season has good episodes and this is one of the few anime series that actually concludes well -- I very much liked the last two episodes that introduced Ranma's mother. Beyond that, the highest-level production work on Ranma anime were the second movie and the OVAs. There was much, much better drawing and general animation in those episodes. Maybe my opinion would be different today IF I got around to watching it again but I remember I didn't like the first Ranma 1/2 movie -- I've utterly forgotten it because I don't remember a single thing about it BUT the second movie made an impact on me because of the higher production values and slapstick comedy of the bridal contests and Ranma's ego to win at all costs.

There's very little of the Ranma 1/2 manga that was animated past about Volume 23 -- which is probably a good thing. Some of those last story arcs unfolded over VOLUMES of the manga and I personally think Ranma perhaps ran maybe about five years longer than it should have! Not much past Volume 20 is really all that good, IMHO.

Ironically, the concluding arc's wedding story was partially animated -- BUT for a Ranma 1/2 Pachinko game. The character designs are different (another production crew), the voice cast is NOT the classic Japanese cast, and girl-Ranma has pink hair! It's hilariously bad animation.

That last Ranma 1/2 OVA (2008) was also done by a different production company but at least they brought back the classic surviving voice cast! I actually liked the way that story was finished out in anime versus the manga. It's one of the few times I've preferred the animated version over the original printed page story.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:08 pm Reply with quote
As others have stated, congratulations on 300 episodes of ANNCast! I remember back when Zac & Justin hit #50 (the interview with Anime Midstream), & Zac got some poppers to celebrate the occasion; now Zac just hits 300 like it's nothing. Man, does time fly by.

Anyway, I sadly have very little experience with Rumiko Takahashi, but it's easy to understand her influence & effect on the industry. My question regarding One-Pound Gospel mainly came from the fact that it's really the only bit of Takahashi I really got into (so it defaults as my #1), but I do remember seeing a few random episodes of InuYasha back when it was on Adult Swim. I thought they were enjoyable enough, but similar to Zac the concept itself kind of made me wary of ever trying to get into it. One of my friends had been following the manga & eventually gave up until Takahashi finished it; he then bing-read the rest & was happy to finish, but otherwise was done with her.

I did read a few chapters of Rin-ne back when Viz actually simul-published it upon its debut, and while it was neat it didn't really grab me, so that's all I ever read. Honestly, I think the reason why Rin-ne has been going on for nearly a decade is simply because Takahashi has so much clout that she's probably allowed to simply draw manga for as long as she wants, regardless of how successful it really is; she's Shonen Sunday's equivalent to Osamu Akimoto (of Kochikame fame). I do have the 1st BD set of Ranma, though, & I do intend on watching it one day, but I really do feel like Takahashi is a creator I should have some more familiarity with. I did eventually get into some Lupin, though, so I'm sure I'll find the time to try some Ranma & Urusei Yatsura (& even Maison Ikkoku, should it ever get re-released) one day.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
@GeorgeC

I have all of the AnimEigo Urusei Yatsura DVDs including the OVAs and Movies. I can't argue with you on the movies being dubbed, I just looked at the case which doesn't show an English language option. Embarassed I watch most shows subbed so the presence of a dub version usually doesn't register with me.

Concerning the Urusei Yatsura manga. Viz brought out 8 floppies under the title "Lum" in 1989. Those are contained in that "Perfect" collection Zac mentioned along with some chapters that were published in early issues of Animerica Magazine. Five years later beginning in December 1994 they tried again under the title "The Return of Lum". That ran to some to some 39 floppy issues. They were collected in 8 additional graphic novel volumes.

Given that the Japanese manga ran to 34 volumes it is clear that less than half of the manga has been released in English here.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 am Reply with quote
Jeez! Been listening to this Podcast since the 160s episodes(I think? It was around there, sometime Late 2013). Actually just finished going back to the very first and listening through them all. Took me about 8 months. Shocked

Topgunguy wrote:
I was conflicted about listening to this but considering how much I'm not fond of Zac Bertschy, I decided I'd better give it a miss.

Just Saiyan.

Never seen a single episode, nor read a single volume, of anything Rumiko Takahashi has ever made, but tuned into this week like I always do and listened to the whole thing because I'm super fond of Zac. Just Saiyan. Wink
(If you are into the topic though, I mean, really, you should give it a listen. Also, depending on when you last listened, Zac has chilled a lot in the last few years)
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
Otaku-sempai wrote:
I have only been able to stand to watch Urusai Yatsura in Japanese with subtitles. Has there ever been a decent English dub for the show or any of the movies? Or are they all uniformly awful?

Animax Asia dubbed a few episodes of the show under the title "Lamu the Invader Girl". Not one of their better dubs, but then I never really got into UY. First watched the TV anime in Chinese and read some of the manga in English beforehand. Never got around to watching it in Japanese with English subtitles.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:59 am Reply with quote
One of the dubs for UY had Mike Sinterniklaas as Ataru. Given the dub was made over 21 years ago and how UY dubs are hard to find online, good luck finding it.

UY was the probably the earliest harem anime/manga. "Ranma 1/2" was closer to the modern trops but I think "Ah! Megami-sama" and "Tenchi" are what really standardized a lot of the harem tropes.
Bamble

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Otaku-sempaiIt is rumored that AnimEigo dubbed the first couple of episodes of the TV series for VHS but that reaction was so negative that these dubs are not on the DVDs.

Yes, AnimEigo dubbed the first two half-hour instalments of the TV series, episodes 1 and 2, each containing two stories apiece. Negative reaction curtailed the dub at that point and it was never preserved on any of their DVD releases of the series.

Episodes 1 and 3 were given a gag dub by a British TV station in 2001 and billed as "Lum The Invader Girl". Unusual for most British anime dubs that populated their productions with expatriate U.S. and Canadian actors, this dub used British comedians using pretty much their natural accents.

Lastly, more extensively, and yet more obscurely, Animax Asia also dubbed an indeterminate number of episodes of the series into English. No one really knows how far the dub got, but at least up to episode 31 based on clips previously posted online. It was billed as "Alien Musibat" in India, seemingly the only place Animax ever played the dub.
Fluwm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Do people still think of Takahashi as one of the "Big Three?" Is that even still a concept in the zeitgeist anymore?

Anyway, I've gotta echo most of the sentiments already expressed. I love pretty much all of Takahashi's work (that I've read--I still haven't found any decent copies of Urusei Yatsura), but she has some serious issues with... longevity. Great characters, great settings, great humor... terrible pacing.

TBH I probably like Maison Ikkoku best, even if it's the most generic of her work premise-wise, if only because it never felt like it had overstayed its welcome.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Congrats on 300. I'm not sure where I started listening, possibly at the beginning… at some point, the end of Right Stuf's "Anime Today" podcast merges with the beginning of ANNCast in my memory. To my mind, one of the distinct improvements in the show is that Zac seems to enjoy anime itself more than he used to on the earliest episodes. He's more engaged in the here and now of what's going on with current shows, the industry, and the fans, and that comes through in the discussion.

As for Takahashi, I'm old enough to have bought a bunch of Ranma 1/2 floppy comics back in the day when comic book shops were the most viable gateway to anime and manga. Some Lum and Maison Ikkoku too… not sure why I didn't stick with Maison, but it wasn't until Oh! My Goddess that I really latched onto a romantic comedy manga. I only read a little bit of the Rumic World stuff here and there, and I remember liking The Laughing Target. What I distinctly remember from that comic shop era was that Takahashi got a cover story on one of those monthly comic book magazines, either The Comics Journal or Amazing Heroes, and that was a huge deal, one that was perfectly justified given just how much stuff she was putting out in the late 80s and early 90s and how popular it was.
NeySnow

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Im only a casual Ranma fan, I didn't watch the series till the mid 2000's when Madman in Australia started releasing the DVD's.

I'll agree on most of the points regarding the show, it can get tiresome to watch sometimes. I actually stopped watching the DVD's around S5 I think, Hopposai got really annoying and in general some of the stories were irritating from memory. But, I think during S6 and 7, it improved somewhat, I remember I started enjoying it again when I finally got round to watching those last seasons, Hopposai was dropped a bit and was less annoying as well.

Thats just from my old memories though, but I did end up enjoying the last parts. The middle seasons were the worst I think.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3