• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Death Note (2017)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TEXASenpai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:23 pm Reply with quote
After watching he trailer, I knew I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
So it is basically Dragon Ball Evolution all over again.

Almost. It didn't ignore enough things from Death Note to get on that level. At least Light wasn't the reincarnation (?) of Ryuuk's former partner.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
To be honest there are certain fans among the community who would have never liked this movie unless they went and dragged the voice actors from the anime, cast them in their roles, shot the whole thing on location in Japan, and did a scene by scene remake of the entire anime series as live action with subtitles. Those fans would have then maybe said, "well they did an OK job, but I still like the anime better."
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to watch this, but after mention of Chicago and Air Supply songs, I must watch so I can get a laugh. Then I can go back to watching House of Cards and My Only Love Song.

Edit: I'm disappointed that Chicago and Air Supply were close to the end. So I ended up watching the whole thing. I do feel that the usage of that music was totally out of place. It feels like 15 year-old me would've made those music choices. Whereas now, older and wiser, I find it corny and out of place af. I feel this movie was the perfect excuse to further procrastinate.

Last edited by Peebs on Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
This is a watered down version of Death Note. Which is insulting, because the original Death Note ran in a magazine for Japanese children, and yet this adaptation is rated as "TV-MA" on Netflix. American adults apparently couldn't handle the original Death Note and needed exploding heads and dumb fight scenes.

you cant be surprised. its exactly what hollywood does to alive action movies that are based off of anime series. and extremely watered downed version just like ScarJo's ghost in the shell & samuel l jackson's take on KITE. i suspect that if they had made them 100% faithful to the original source materials, most of them would probably get an NC-17 rating. especially when it came to these three adaptations. its also the reason why no one has dared to even attempt a live action movie of akira. it too would have gotten that rating, especially if its 100% faithful to the manga.

hopefully this will finally get into their thick skulls and quit making live action adaptions sooner rather than later. its not worth it and its a complete waste of time , money & resources.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Animeking:
Quote:
No, "Dragonball Evolution" was "Battlefield Earth"-bad. This movie was "The Room"-bad.

Hey, if it's that 'brilliant', I'll pay to catch a midnight screening of it like I did with The Room! Laughing

Majin:
Quote:
Dragon Ball Evolution was so bad and they ignored Toriyama's inputs so hard, Toriyama started to care for his franchise again.

And Stephen Chow had to do two more Journey to the West films to make people forget about it.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the movie and I thought it was decent.I think my biggest issue was pacing or more like there was too much content for a 90ish minute movie. I think ChibiKangaroo said on another thread that this would have worked better as a miniseries and I agree with that.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
I just watched the movie and I thought it was decent.I think my biggest issue was pacing or more like there was too much content for a 90ish minute movie.

This merits quite an immediate and necessary question: what would you say concerning the choice of musical accompaniment during the Ferris wheel scene?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:19 pm Reply with quote
The movie works great as a comedy. Light being a thirsty beta trying to get laid, the death scenes like the bully looking like they came right out of Final Destination, and, what was up with L having a magic sci-fi gun? Can't sbow realistic guns or something?
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This merits quite an immediate and necessary question: what would you say concerning the choice of musical accompaniment during the Ferris wheel scene?

Well... if the intent was to make the scene slightly humorous then it was the right choice of music... Yeah, it was dumb.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought it was OK. There were some choices I didn't like, and some things I did. Willem Dafoe's Ryuk was great, as was Light's father, and even Light himself.

By far the most interesting thing in the movie was spoiler[Light and Misa's conflicts over how to use the Death Note. I like this portrayal of light as more morally ambiguous with Misa being as much the demon over his shoulder as Ryuk.]

I did not care for L's portrayal however: In the beginning he was a similar nutty kind of character, but I didn't like how he became in the end. And for a film that's under two hours and adapting material from something fairly long (which I do think they did pretty well and I like how they largely changed a lot of the particulars to make that fit), I think it was a big mistake to waste long, precious minutes on a chiched foot pursuit scene.

As for the music, I usually like unusual choices in things that draw attention to themselves, especially odd musical choices. This time, I didn't like it however, and I think it isn't because it was a strange or dissonant choice, but rather because I simply didn't like the music itself.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Animeking:
Quote:
No, "Dragonball Evolution" was "Battlefield Earth"-bad. This movie was "The Room"-bad.

Hey, if it's that 'brilliant', I'll pay to catch a midnight screening of it like I did with The Room! Laughing

Majin:
Quote:
Dragon Ball Evolution was so bad and they ignored Toriyama's inputs so hard, Toriyama started to care for his franchise again.

And Stephen Chow had to do two more Journey to the West films to make people forget about it.

While blatantly ripping off Asura's wrath in the meantime.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:36 pm Reply with quote
We just watched this. My God it was terrible! I'm all for adaptations that change things around as long as they keep the spirit of the story intact. This adaptation ground up the spirit, threw it into the wind and watched it blow away, then picked up the chaff lying around and decided that would make a good movie.

Why remove the aspects of the story that made it classic and beloved by so many people? I'll never understand the Hollywood mentality.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:45 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
I haven't seen the movie (and don't plan to), but this review makes me ponder an interesting question: If you're going to make major changes to the plot/characters ANYWAY, why not tell a DIFFERENT story. Or more to the point, why not ponder the question (considering Ryuk starts the whole thing out of "boredom") "Light can't be the ONLY time he ever gave a death note to a person, right?" ie. "Japan was fun, what about if I (Ryuk) gave it to someone in a bigger country like America". That seems like it'd make more sense.

And then the angry weebs would just be complaining about how it's nothing like the series. I think it's safe to say looking at so many of the people complaining (and stubborn fanboys in general) that they honestly don't know what they want.

Best if creators drown them out and push forward with creative confidence because I can at least respect the creative integrity to stay true to a vision, even if I have issues with the result. And most anime fans I'm glad aren't in charge of these things because they wouldn't know good writing if it hit them in the face.

I thought this adaptation was just ok. There are some things I can appreciate in this iteration, despite me also having issues. It's without a doubt flawed, but I didn't witness something so abysmal I was ready to get all pissy. And Death Note is one of my favorite anime series. I feel the author of this kind of didn't get the context behind some of the things this film tried to do.

Honestly, compared to the Japanese films, the only one better than this one is Death Note 2: The Last Name. That's probably the best this series is ever going to get in live action. The first Death Note film is poor with very detrimental pacing issues, the L spinoff unfortunately sucks (read the superior and different novelization), and the less said about the retarded fanfiction "Light Up The NEW World" the better.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
So another strike for anime adaptations in the West. Also, doesn't help that this is a few years too late to cash in on the series' popularity.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4