• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Neo-Yokio

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephry

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
One of the designers is William Gibbons, so I guess you could accurately say that Neo Yokio is from the same people who brought you Space Dandy, but since Production I.G is involved, it's also from the same people who brought you Abunai Sisters.

This sounds fantastic for all the wrong reasons.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:19 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Hopefully it will be a gateway anime for some dumb teenagers who will grow up and get over it... it's probably still better than the non-anime things teenagers like.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned for some teenage sons of famous actor fathers who suffer from nepotism that they really need to stay out of voice acting as well as acting. It probably won't be.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
After Earth didn't, why would this?
Jonny Mendes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
This cartoon made me remember why i stop watching American animation. And i was a fan for many years,

BTY i want to ask the US fans if is there any good new western animation airing on US television now?
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
even some of the worst anime rarely get so many Fs here.Oh,boy...
Scaramanga

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:39 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Even though I am curious to witness this train wreck, I refuse to watch it. Every person that watches it equals ratings and they may think that it's a "popular show". No way I want any more of this crap produced.

That's what they make the rating system for. Even if a million people watch it, if those same people all give it a 1-star review, they'll probably think twice before deciding to greenlight any more.

What star rating? Netflix has since moved to the nigh useless thumbs up/down system. You can downvote something, but a lot of people watching it mean it still shows up at the top of lists.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
After Earth didn't, why would this?

It should eventually dawn on him.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Jonny Mendes wrote:
This cartoon made me remember why i stop watching American animation. And i was a fan for many years,

BTY i want to ask the US fans if is there any good new western animation airing on US television now?

Rick and Morty I guess, that seemed good.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
At this point, my only question is how close Neo Yokio gets to the worst of all time. Even if it falls short, it will be a sight to see something that could potentially compete with the likes of Chargeman Ken.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:55 pm Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
Hopefully it will be a gateway anime for some dumb teenagers who will grow up and get over it... it's probably still better than the non-anime things teenagers like.

That's a pretty arrogantly insulting thing to say. Also, trash is trash: I doubt someone who sees something that's completely trash (this got an F) is going to feel any urge to see something similar. In other words, It's more likely to be a gateway away from anime than towards it.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:02 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
At this point, my only question is how close Neo Yokio gets to the worst of all time. Even if it falls short, it will be a sight to see something that could potentially compete with the likes of Chargeman Ken.

Hey now I can identify the voice actors to this show unlike Ken where most of the voice cast stayed anonymous and didn't even get onscreen crediting apparently. At least Ken knew better and aspired to less probably.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:26 pm Reply with quote
You know that shit got real when even IGN Anime trashes a show... Oh well, not my problem but we now finally have a 2nd "anime" originating on twitter, after Ninja Slayer (kinda).
For the record. Baby Smith was solid in the equally solid Karate Kid remake that somehow was about Kung Fu.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EerieLime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote
"Magistocrat" is such a beautifully dumb word, I love it.

Jonny Mendes wrote:

Gravity Falls was great, Steven Universe and Star vs. the Forces of Evil are fun (though I prefer seasons 2-3 of SU), We Bare Bears is cute, I heard the new DuckTales is good... There's still good western animation being made, it just feels hard to find due to how many mediocre/garbage shows are out there.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Codeanime93 wrote:
Hey now I can identify the voice actors to this show unlike Ken where most of the voice cast stayed anonymous and didn't even get onscreen crediting apparently. At least Ken knew better and aspired to less probably.

I don't know if they knew better, considering they made 65 episodes of it (which I've seen all of), which even considering the shorter run time is more than twice as much as Neo Yokio is getting. Shooting for the stars and falling back to Earth is commendable if sometimes laughable, but trying to get across the street and ending up in the core of the Earth is just befuddling, failing at things one didn't know a show could fail at as Ken did. Though if this is Neo Yokio's creators' idea of shooting for the Moon, I'm worried that they might have mistook a reflection in a puddle for the heavenly bodies.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
You know that shit got real when even IGN Anime trashes a show... Oh well, not my problem but we now finally have a 2nd "anime" originating on twitter, after Ninja Slayer (kinda).
For the record. Baby Smith was solid in the equally solid Karate Kid remake that somehow was about Kung Fu.

I found the Karate Kid remake to be too long. Didn't exactly like him in that either though I grew up with the Macchio version so that it was rather hard to like it for me. I guess the only thing that was good to me about the remake was Jackie Chan's performance.

Last edited by Codeanime93 on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7