• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Girls' Last Tour for Anime Strike Simulcast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

If more people didn't pay for anime streaming services then neither crunchy nor funi would have had the money to increase the bids for streaming licenses, as simple as that, it is easy to understand unless of course, you are dead seat on smearing crunchy/funny the facts be damned.

People paying for the service isn't the point I was trying to make. The point was had Cruncyroll and Funimation not tried to one up each other, the licensing fees wouldn't have gotten as stupid as they were.

Quote:
Amazon did all that before they made a deal with Sentai (and Anime Strike was born), you are simply trying to shift the focus, Sentai DID a bargain with the devil and they have lost popularity inside and outside the USA.

Nooooooooooooooooope.

It literally happened on the same day.

Citation needed on losing popularity outside of the US.

Quote:
Which is another reason fans hate strike, Funi is not going to dub any new shows from Strike (they have their own licenses) and unless aniplex or sentai makes a disc release, chances are many series from AS will stay without a disc release in the foreable future.

Kanbari says otherwise.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:28 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:

You got that backwards, show me a Funi release of an anime strike title and THEN you will have shown me wrong.

Do you understand the concept of proving a negative?

All you have is a theory and your belief. The closest thing you have to "proof" is "It hasn't happened yet".

As I pointed out before, Funimation has licensed a title for home video that is streamed by another company. You claimed that wasn't the same, but at least I provided a precedent, something you have not.

As far as home video licenses go, what do you think would stop Sentai from licensing those titles for home video release? Like Funimation, they've also licensed titles for home video that Netflix had exclusive streaming rights to. Also, unlike Funimation, your "helping the enemy" argument doesn't work for them.
CatSword

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
CatSword wrote:
Hey, Sentai?

As we can see from this thread, people associate your name with dread now when it's announced you have a new seasonal simulcast. This is not a good thing for your company. Please cut ties with Anime Strike.

What Crunchyroll and Funimation do isn't any better though. That's the very definition of a monopoly. The current situation wouldn't have happened had Funimation and Crunchyroll not driven up licensing costs as insane as they were. This is Sentai saving their own asses by teaming up with another party.

Why can't Sentai go with their other party they hype up half of the time and which the anime community is much more warm to known as Hidive?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
leelee85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
mangamuscle wrote:

You got that backwards, show me a Funi release of an anime strike title and THEN you will have shown me wrong.

Do you understand the concept of proving a negative?

All you have is a theory and your belief. The closest thing you have to "proof" is "It hasn't happened yet".

As I pointed out before, Funimation has licensed a title for home video that is streamed by another company. You claimed that wasn't the same, but at least I provided a precedent, something you have not.

As far as home video licenses go, what do you think would stop Sentai from licensing those titles for home video release? Like Funimation, they've also licensed titles for home video that Netflix had exclusive streaming rights to. Also, unlike Funimation, your "helping the enemy" argument doesn't work for them.

THank you THeAncientOne for Prooving that Funimation can and will Dub anime that is not on FunimationNow (I.e. Netflix and Anime Strike)
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
I imagine this thread (and the prior ones and the ones to come) underestimate the ones that, at the very least, have made their peace with Strike

If you believe these threads, there's pretty much nobody who is subscribed to Strike. I suspect the number of people who have made their peace with Strike (or who already have Prime and are thus not subject to the "double paywall" is vastly underestimated - because they have no reason to gripe.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that the noisy one are in fact a minority.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

Why can't Sentai go with their other party they hype up half of the time and which the anime community is much more warm to known as Hidive?

Putting stuff on Amazon probably brings in more money.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:
I imagine this thread (and the prior ones and the ones to come) underestimate the ones that, at the very least, have made their peace with Strike

If you believe these threads, there's pretty much nobody who is subscribed to Strike. I suspect the number of people who have made their peace with Strike (or who already have Prime and are thus not subject to the "double paywall" is vastly underestimated - because they have no reason to gripe.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to learn that the noisy one are in fact a minority.

I for one am not giving either AS or CR money. Both of them are poison to the anime medium.

"But Crunchyroll? They give me what I want!"

Hmm, how to put it... it's not a case you can't always get what you want, it's that you probably shouldn't. We won't be able to see what went wrong exactly until after we get some perspective but I think it was the point when CR publically said "We're gonna get all the anime!"

And all streaming will start to splinter now, not just anime. Disney is just the first because it is already a conglomerate.

Oh yes, the show. It sounds really promising and I look forward to watching it one day. Just not 2017. Oh well.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Except for that supposed "noisy minority" has representation all over the internet whereas the opposite has none by comparison. We have every thread posted on here, MAL, Reddit, or any other forum with users decrying Anime Strike. We have Sentais Twitter and Facebook that get berrated every time they make a strike announcement. We have Anime Strikes official twitter that was also highly attacked. We have YouTube videos with millions of combined views and thousands of likes belittling Anime Strike and Netflix anime.

So far we have no indication that Anime Strike isn't losing Amazon billions of dollars. They can say "it's doing amazing!" But they'll never provide numbers so it doesn't mean jack sh**. Until that happens (which it won't) all we have is the overwhelming proof that the vast majority hates Anime Strike and that Amazon doesn't care one iota.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:
This is Sentai saving their own asses by teaming up with another party.

But they did a bargain with the devil, the anime community (as in, the people that buy their discs) at large no longer sees them in a positive light.

Not me. I look forward to Sentai's disc release of Princess Principal and Made in Abyss.

mangamuscle wrote:
and sooner rather than later Amazon will remove the middlemen (Sentai) and start licensing by themselves all the anime they want since theirs is not a partnership made on legal paper.

Maybe. But I am not going to worry about staff that could happen in the future.

TasteyCookie wrote:
Except for that supposed "noisy minority" has representation all over the internet whereas the opposite has none by comparison. We have every thread posted on here, MAL, Reddit, or any other forum with users decrying Anime Strike. We have Sentais Twitter and Facebook that get berrated every time they make a strike announcement. We have Anime Strikes official twitter that was also highly attacked. We have YouTube videos with millions of combined views and thousands of likes belittling Anime Strike and Netflix anime.

People complaining online does not prove anything. For years people complained every time Aniplex USA licensed and released something. And 7 years later they are very much alive and most likely doing good finances wise. It is too early to prove that the Amazon deal will doom Sentai.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:04 pm Reply with quote
TasteyCookie wrote:
We have YouTube videos with millions of combined views and thousands of likes belittling Anime Strike and Netflix anime.

It's time to decouple our arguments against these two services, as there is absolutely no evidence one way or the other as to whether the people complaining represent anything more than a drop in the bucket to Netflix.

Consider how, despite months and months of people claiming that Netflix choosing to not simulcast Little Witch Academia would kill the show, ANN stated during a podcast last month that traffic related to the Little Witch Academia franchise has increased astronomically since Netflix started streaming it in the US.

Sure, Little Witch Academia was one of the most heavily torrented shows of the past year, but that number meant nothing when compared to the amount of parents stumbling across LWA while looking for something to watch with their kids, and remembering that they used to watch anime on Toonami when they were teenagers.

mangamuscle wrote:
the anime community (as in, the people that buy their discs) at large no longer sees them in a positive light.

Take a look in ANN's "What did you just buy?" thread at the buying habits of people who pick up one or more titles a month (or even those few who purchase more than one title a week). You'll see that, by and large, we don't care at all about AnimeStrike when it comes time to put discs on our shelves. The title is the most important thing, not the distributor.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
@TasteyCookie Certainly, we don't know what the numbers are, so we can't say definitively that they are doing well. But we don't know that they aren't doing well, or at least well enough, either. Many, many people have been pissed off and make that known in every forum and social media account they can, but that isn't proof that the vast majority hates Amazon (and Sentai). I worry that some of us are in a bubble, and when we hear that Sentai (and thereby Anime Strike for the most part) picks something up, some cry "Why is Amazon [or Netflix] still haunting us?! Evil or Very Mad All the people I know hate them! They have to be doing horribly!" when the reality may be that, while they aren't doing amazing numbers, they may be performing within expectations. Again we don't know, but I think we should be prepared for the possibility that Amazon and Netflix are doing well enough that they want to remain players in the industry for years to come so we aren't gnashing our teeth and asking why every season.
leelee85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:44 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@TasteyCookie Certainly, we don't know what the numbers are, so we can't say definitively that they are doing well. But we don't know that they aren't doing well, or at least well enough, either. Many, many people have been pissed off and make that known in every forum and social media account they can, but that isn't proof that the vast majority hates Amazon (and Sentai). I worry that some of us are in a bubble, and when we hear that Sentai (and thereby Anime Strike for the most part) picks something up, some cry "Why is Amazon [or Netflix] still haunting us?! Evil or Very Mad All the people I know hate them! They have to be doing horribly!" when the reality may be that, while they aren't doing amazing numbers, they may be performing within expectations. Again we don't know, but I think we should be prepared for the possibility that Amazon and Netflix are doing well enough that they want to remain players in the industry for years to come so we aren't gnashing our teeth and asking why every season.

In other words zrnzle500 you are telling everyone who hates anime strike to grow up!
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Let's not put words in people's mouths and start trouble. It is perfectly reasonable to find that Strike is a bad deal for oneself and to be frustrated by them picking up a show that you like, which this seems to be for many people. It is fine to hate Strike, but we should be open to the possibility that these companies may be doing well enough that it is worth their while to stay.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
leelee85

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Let's not put words in people's mouths and start trouble.

I'm not starting trouble nor putting words in peoples mouth.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Again we don't know, but I think we should be prepared for the possibility that Amazon and Netflix are doing well enough that they want to remain players in the industry for years to come so we aren't gnashing our teeth and asking why every season.

I have no about that, but that does not mean that bad karma can't hurt them financially. Let's suppose this fall season 80% of AS subscribers drop their subscription due to a lackluster season, Amazon won't feel it, like when you step on a little rock, they would not even blink. If something similar happened to crunchy and/or funny they would try to contain the screams of agony.

As a similar example, in 2000 billionaire carlos slim bough CompUSA and liquidate it in 2012, that business bled money for a dozen years and that didn't made slim drop in the top 5 most rich.

But people enabling AS because "they don't think about of the future" will only help them destroy the streamers that still hear their subscribers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4