• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: My Hero Academia Anime Gets 3rd Season

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CheezcakeMe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Studio Bones doing poorly? What are you drinking? The last ten shows they've put out have all been moderate to SMAAAASH hits.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
why don't they do like they did with old shows like DBZ and just adapt it straight without announcing each season as if they were a sequel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
A 1 cour season should comfortably cover the events of the School Trip and spoiler[Hideout Raid] arcs. A 2 cour season will probably mean those arcs plus the spoiler[License Exam] arc, likely ending with spoiler[Deku vs Bakugo Part 2].

Jose Cruz wrote:
why don't they do like they did with old shows like DBZ and just adapt it straight without announcing each season as if they were a sequel?

Probably because the old way of just nonstop seasons isn't done as much. It's mainly just Toei and Pierrot who do that for their shonen series. With separate seasons, Bones can make the anime higher quality since they have more time to finish an episode rather than having finish one each week, and they have better control of their pacing since these breaks allow the manga to produce more material and increase the gap between what its covered and how much the anime has adapted. Stuff doesn't have to be dragged out or have a bunch of filler put in.
Vizo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Not surprised at all at this point. It's not only a quality show and popular but it's setting new standards for how most anime should be.
Shinuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:

I don't get this post. A chance at what? You do realise that people not only can watch multiple series at once but also equally enjoy them? MHA is great and all but you're acting that every anime is suddenly standing still because MHA is here.

MHA is just that good friend. I'm ready to be surprised though. If that happens, we pretty much have GOAT anime on our hand.

Less man, way less, don't act like a annoying fanboy, Boku no Hero Academia is far from being the big thing in Japan that you think it is, specially about anime, so there's no such a thing as "no one has/had a chance".

Also, BNHA definitely wasn't the best anime from 2016.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Bones is in their prime right now. They have a major shonen franchise now, in addition to producing some of the biggest shows of the decade(BBB, Mob Psycho, Show by Rock, Space Dandy, etc) and most of their work is exceptionally well produced(I think you are giving too little credit to this.

I agree. Bones is one of the best anime studios, and they are in their prime. The have become my favorite studio over the years, and I always look forward to more of their work. As far as My Hero Academia, I am happy they have this franchise because it is one of the best shounen shows. One or a two cours season 3 is fine with me.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Bones is in their prime right now. They have a major shonen franchise now, in addition to producing some of the biggest shows of the decade(BBB, Mob Psycho, Show by Rock, Space Dandy, etc)

No offense mate but none of them are the biggest shows of the decade. Maybe BBB, but the biggest show of the decade would be something like Madoka, AoT, Love Live, SAO, Kemono Friend, Yuri on Ice or Osomatsu-san.

Quote:
And outside of SHAFT and KyoAni, they have one of the best success ratios out there right now. Not sure why you think most of their shows perform average to poor, that's not true at all.

I disagree with your statement here. A studio with a good success ratio would never have a negative net income.

Bones

Capital -> 10,000,000 yen
Workers -> 64

Fiscal year 2013(April 2013 to March 2014)
Sales -> 1,980,000,000 yen
Net Income -> -123,500,000 yen

Fiscal year 2014(April 2014 to March 2015)
Sales -> 1,222,000,000 yen
Net Income -> -63,978,000 yen

Source

I'm sure now it's not as bad as it was back then thanks to BBB, Bungou Stray Dogs, MHA and MP 100 but what your saying is still an exaggeration. They're nowhere near studios like Toei, TMS entertainment, Sunrise, Pierrot or OLM.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
GoldCrusader wrote:
Pierrot. wrote:

Anyway, I'll be geniunely surprised if the third season retains its timeslot after Time Bokan 24's second season,

And what makes you so sure it won't? We have very few information and from what we saw recently it did good rating wise. So unless it did absolutely terrible I really don't get why they would change channel. Mainly when they announce a 3rd season.

Because the ratings weren't good compared its predecessors and I think after Time Bokan's sequel we'll get a third season of The File of Young Kindaichi Returns first because the author came back from a hiatus last year to start a new arc and it should have more than enough material for another 2 cour.

It had better ratings than Ultimate Otaku Teacher and also had better sales than anything that aired on that timeslot. If anycase them announcing a 3rd season right after the episode finished airing means it'll be back on the same slot or else it wouldn't really make sense. The reason why MHA didn't return to Nichigo is because that timeslot ended. They only brought back Kindaichi Returns to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise and to put it alongside Conan as a special event because both shows came after one another in a different timeslot 20 years prior.
Crunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Pierrot. wrote:
relyat08 wrote:
Bones is in their prime right now. They have a major shonen franchise now, in addition to producing some of the biggest shows of the decade(BBB, Mob Psycho, Show by Rock, Space Dandy, etc)

No offense mate but none of them are the biggest shows of the decade. Maybe BBB, but the biggest show of the decade would be something like Madoka, AoT, Love Live, SAO, Kemono Friend, Yuri on Ice or Osomatsu-san.

There's a lot more measures to success than just BD sales mate, infact Kemono Friend ultimately proves that since it was released through Guidebooks not standalone BDs and its profitability was known through twitter trends, Opening song sells and sold out events.

Quote:

I disagree with your statement here. A studio with a good success ratio would never have a negative net income.

Bones

Workers -> 64

Sales -> 1,980,000,000 yen
Net Income -> -123,500,000 yen

Sales -> 1,222,000,000 yen
Net Income -> -63,978,000 yen

Source

I'm sure now it's not as bad as it was back then thanks to BBB, Bungou Stray Dogs, MHA and MP 100 but what your saying is still an exaggeration. They're nowhere near studios like Toei, TMS entertainment, Sunrise, Pierrot or OLM.

Every studio barring Sunrise and Toei are in the red but that has more to do with back taxes than outright not being profitable. The studio behind the widely successful Girls und Panzer franchise is actually doing much worse because they received nothing from the success of the franchise that all goes to Bandai Visual. Since Toei distrbutes all its shows and have a market hand invested in the most popular anime franchises ever they're ahead of the pack and since Sunrise is owned by Bandai, the top distributor in Japan, they'll never be in the red. Point is that they're doing much better now (that pic is also outdated roughly at the time where everything they released flopped badly) than they have been in recent years.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
It had better ratings than Ultimate Otaku Teacher and also had better sales than anything that aired on that timeslot. If anycase them announcing a 3rd season right after the episode finished airing means it'll be back on the same slot or else it wouldn't really make sense.
That's not true. Ultimate Otaku Teacher had a much better start and the top ten ratings usually had a much higher threshold compared to when MHA aired. MHA's ratings started to get a bit better in the second half but it was still not as good as its predecessors.

Quote:
The reason why MHA didn't return to Nichigo is because that timeslot ended. They only brought back Kindaichi Returns to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the franchise and to put it alongside Conan as a special event because both shows came after one another in a different timeslot 20 years prior.

And the reason why Nichigo block ended in the first place was because the timeslot started to get terrible ratings when MHA was airing.

Crunky wrote:
Every studio barring Sunrise and Toei are in the red but that has more to do with back taxes than outright not being profitable.

I'd like it if you back up your statements next time you reply

TMS Entertainment

Source: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/トムス・エンタテインメント

(End March 2015 Financial Data)

*8,816,866,000 <- Capital
13,814,421,100 <- Total Assets
199 <- employees

12,360,264,000 <- Sales
*1,202,975,000 <- Operating Income
**,791,791,100 <Net> 10,000,000 yen
Workers -> 149

Sales -> 2,127,000,000 yen
Net Income -> 143,805,000 yen

Sales -> 2,300,000,000 yen
Net Income -> 165,301,000 yen

A-1 Pictures

Source:

Fiscal Year 2014(April 2014 to March 2015)
Net Income -> 100,000,000 yen
Total Assets -> 2,019,000,000 yen
Total Liabilities -> 1,810,000,000 yen
Shareholders Equity -> 208,000,000 yen

Tatsunoko Production

Source

Capital -> 20,700,000 yen

Fiscal Year 2012(April 2012 to March 2013)
Net Income -> 91,000,000 yen
Retained Earnings -> 790,000,000 yen
Total Assets -> 1,540,000,000 yen
Shareholders Equity -> 810,000,000 yen

Fiscal Year 2013(April 2013 to March 2014)
Net Income -> 140,000,000 yen
Retained Earnings -> 930,000,000 yen
Total Assets -> 1,700,000,000 yen
Shareholders Equity -> 950,000,000 yen

Fiscal Year 2014(April 2014 to March 2015)
Net Income -> 75,000,000 yen
Retained Earnings -> 1,010,000,000 yen
Total Assets -> 1,470,000,000 yen
Shareholders Equity -> 1,030,000,000 yen

Kyoto Animation

Source

Workers -> 149

Sales -> 2,127,000,000 yen
Net Income -> 143,805,000 yen

Sales -> 2,300,000,000 yen
Net Income -> 165,301,000 yen
Crunky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why this series get so many people salty over people enjoying it and it doing well that they have to nitpick its success saying "its not doing well enough" by some imaginary criteria. And this is ironic coming from the same person banking on Boruto's success which has not been doing good at all as of late. I'm just waiting for you to backpedal yet again.
Pierrot. wrote:
Crunky wrote:
It had better ratings than Ultimate Otaku Teacher and also had better sales than anything that aired on that timeslot. If anycase them announcing a 3rd season right after the episode finished airing means it'll be back on the same slot or else it wouldn't really make sense.
That's not true. Ultimate Otaku Teacher had a much better start and the top ten ratings usually had a much higher threshold compared to when MHA aired. MHA's ratings started to get a bit better in the second half but it was still not as good as its predecessors.

UOT ratings average was a 2.3, it having a better start is irrelevant. Its higher threshold was because it came after Magic Kaito which had the highest ratings percentile for the block so its first episode got a huge boost and had a harsh drop after that, to put matters in perspective UOT only ranked in the top 10 only 8 times out of its 25 episode run ( MHA ranked 21 time out of its 25 episode run and Time Boken 24 ranked 23 times) and no the threshold wasn't higher back then either its also notorious for systematically causing Conan's ratings to drop because it was a lead in for it. MHA current ratings average is a 3.5 not counting the last episode until next well but it'll be well above UOT and about the same as the second half of Space Brothers.

Quote:

And the reason why Nichigo block ended in the first place was because the timeslot started to get terrible ratings when MHA was airing.

I'd like it if you back up your statements next time you reply
*4.47 Gundam 00 2nd
*3.69 Nanatsu no Taizai
*3.62 Yamato 2199
*3.50 Magi
*3.49 Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
*3.04 Arslan Senki
*2.93 Blue Exorcist
*2.73 Hakyuu
*2.66 Code Geass R2
*2.66 Magi 2
*2.56 Gundam AGE
*2.45 Hero Academia
*2.38 Sengoko BASARA
*2.25 Iron Blood Orphans
*2.20 STAR DRIVER
*2.15 Arlsan Senki 2
*2.00 Nanatsu no Taizai 2 SP
*1.96 Iron Blood Orpahns S2

So according this MHA was the highest rated program the same year it aired on the block and actually did better than the previous show IBO and Nichigo didn't announce its ending until December of 2016 so not only are you wrong about the timeslot starting to get bad ratings when it aired (STAR DRIVER the lowest rated original show on that block was in 2010 alongside Sengoko Basara) it did about on par with everything else that aired there.

Quote:
stuff

May want to practice what you preach especially if you continue to use old data as an argument let alone the fact that's still a fairly low threshold for those studios most of which aren't even operating by themselves (Tatsunoko became a part of IG Port). And even taking into account pf that old data Bones still made $10 million revenue in what was consider a dower period for them.
P4rK3R

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, hopefully sooner rather than later. They still have so much good stuff to get to. Hell, the last few chapters of the manga were epic, probably some of if not my favorite of the story so far. My question is how far is the anime from: spoiler[ The fight with allmight & all for one in the city? ] memory isn't too good. Could that happen in a two cour season? Or probably not til season 4 in that case? Thanks
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
P4rK3R wrote:
Awesome, hopefully sooner rather than later. They still have so much good stuff to get to. Hell, the last few chapters of the manga were epic, probably some of if not my favorite of the story so far. My question is how far is the anime from: spoiler[ The fight with allmight & all for one in the city? ] memory isn't too good. Could that happen in a two cour season? Or probably not til season 4 in that case? Thanks

The average number of chapters adapted into an episode from the manga is about 2 per episode. Everything up to that moment and the chapter after it that covers the fall out is a little less than 26 chapters from where the second season ended, so the anime would easily be able to cover that in a 1 cour season.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Crunky wrote:
I'm not sure why this series get so many people salty over people enjoying it and it doing well that they have to nitpick its success saying "its not doing well enough" by some imaginary criteria. And this is ironic coming from the same person banking on Boruto's success which has not been doing good at all as of late. I'm just waiting for you to backpedal yet again.

Huh? Why would I be salty? I don't really care if people enjoy it nor did I even wanted to post here until Thorfinn specifically tried to call me out. I don't really get why you're bringing Boruto's success here but I'll humor you. Boruto like it's prequel relies on merchandise sales, video games, online streaming and licensing rights.

The franchise announced a new video game a few months ago and since licensing fees are on a rise, it's not surprising in the least why the franchise is still continuing.

"License costs are also on the rise with increasing competition among video streaming sites. For example, The Wall Street Journal estimates that one episode of Gintama sells for approximately US$100,000. "
Source:https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1615907

In terms of viewership, it's already a huge success in China's official streaming sites and easily stomps a lot of anime with the exceptions of One Piece, DBS and Detective Conan etc.

Iqyi: 260 million views
Bilibili: 54 million views
Soku: 300 million views

Quote:
UOT ratings average was a 2.3, it having a better start is irrelevant. Its higher threshold was because it came after Magic Kaito which had the highest ratings percentile for the block so its first episode got a huge boost and had a harsh drop after that, to put matters in perspective UOT only ranked in the top 10 only 8 times out of its 25 episode run ( MHA ranked 21 time out of its 25 episode run and Time Boken 24 ranked 23 times) and no the threshold wasn't higher back then either its also notorious for systematically causing Conan's ratings to drop because it was a lead in for it. MHA current ratings average is a 3.5 not counting the last episode until next well but it'll be well above UOT and about the same as the second half of Space Brothers.

It ranked in the top ten 9 times. You didn't even get that right and yes the threshold was high. You can look up the threads and compare them yourselves because I'm not going to link them here since this thread has already been bloated, I also can't find the ratings of the unranked episode due to high threshold so I don't think I can believe your average numbers for UOT until you post some proof.

Quote:
TV ratings

MHA season 1 was only 1 cour so no shit it'll have a better average or on par with 2 cour or longer shows. Even Sengoku Basara had a better average despite having the lowest rating episodes in the block in 2010 which is why we never I guess it's sequel never aired in the block again.

A fair comparison would be taking the average of the first 13 episodes of those shows. IBO for example would have a 2.55 average which is higher than MHA's.

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/4114945844

Quote:
May want to practice what you preach especially if you continue to use old data as an argument let alone the fact that's still a fairly low threshold for those studios most of which aren't even operating by themselves (Tatsunoko became a part of IG Port).

Huh? I used the 2014 and 2015 data because that's the only ones I could find for Bones and used the same yearly data to make the comparison's fair. In fact they're not even that old and I already know Tatsunoko became part of IG by the way so no need to sound so smug.

If you disagree with the data then why don't you share the new ones to back up your claim that all the other studios besides Sunrise and Toei are in the red.
Quote:
And even taking into account pf that old data Bones still made $10 million revenue in what was consider a dower period for them.

Completely irrelevant when your net income is in the negative.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Break Xerxes wrote:
I had a feeling they were going to announce a 3rd season. My Hero Academia is one of Shounen Jump's most popular manga and they have enough material for a another season.
I'm looking forward to it.

at least it didn't get the ever so annoying "read the books,kids!" type of ending which is now the norm for light novels.

all that left now is for the english dub to get an adult swim broadcast considering their running out of new series to show once IBO ends its abysmal second season as well as the new lupin the 3rd series and stardust crusaders.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4