• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Aho-Girl Tops Poll of Most Enjoyable Summer 2017 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
palom

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:
I think it's pretty clear that the poll was for "light hearted Fun Times/gags/comedy" anime. In which case things seem pretty obvious.

Aho-girl was just stupid fun and though certainly not worthy of being on anybody's Top 5 anime of the year, it might be the one you want to throw on for a few laughs or have running casually while you go about doing something else.

Kakegurui,Fate/Apocrypha,Princess Principal, are NOT light hearted comedies.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:10 pm Reply with quote
palom wrote:

They are my favorites for the season though!
nechronius

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
palom wrote:

Hence why they didn't win. I'm quite aware they are not. Which is why these polls are often weird to begin with. Frankly who would have thought Aho-Girl would be #1 in any significant poll.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
I did see Aho-Girl getting a bit of buzz around, didn't know it was this liked. I watched one clip on Crunchyroll's FB page to nope the hell out of it, though.

Voted for Tsuredure and F/A. Only two anime I honestly enjoyed every week - everything else had multiple ups and downs.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:

Funny, that's how I pictured New Game to be. "Stupid girls doing stupid things".

I don't know if you're just trying to take a jab at them because they have a different opinion, but regardless, I think you'd be pretty hard pressed to argue that most of the characters in New Game are "stupid", while that is literally the point of the main girl in Aho-Girl, hence the title.

CatSword wrote:
People didn’t enjoy Made in Abyss? It was hard to watch at moments, but certainly enjoyable most of the time.

Yeah, I dunno. The wording used in the original article is a little vague, but it does kind of imply they were looking for FUN! shows. Certainly Aho-Girl was not the most popular)(though I was surprised to see how many people were watching it) or most highly regarded series of the season, but I guess people enjoyed the act of watching it?
I'm not sure what to pick based on that. Made in Abyss is, without a doubt, the best series of the season, for me, and I might be able to convince myself it was also the most enjoyable simply because of how perfectly it realized such a brilliant fantasy, but Tsuredure Children was probably the show that I smiled while watching most often during.
Actar

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 am Reply with quote
Aho-Girl definitely deserves to be in the top spot. It's a show that isn't afraid to laugh at itself. It doesn't put on airs and I appreciate it for that. It's like people are afraid to have fun anymore without being able to justify it to themselves or a third party. No person is above any show. Not every piece of entertainment must be deep, moving or thought-provoking in order to be enjoyable and I respect the show for being pure comedy gold. Slapstick at its purest and most unadulterated.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
I'm sad that Centaur's Life didn't crack the top ten. That being said I watched 8 out of 10 of these shows and I did enjoy every episode of Aho Girl. So I approve of your summer poll

The whole egalitarian undertone ruined it for me.

Merxamers wrote:
Aho Girl's one of those shows that has some amusing clips and screenshots, but i don't think i'd enjoy the whole show. I admire the seiyu for the lead character though; she gave her all for that performance

The fact Aoi Yūki also did completely opposite prolific characters like Madoka Kaname and Victorique de Blois is what makes it funnier.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
Aho-Girl definitely deserves to be in the top spot. It's a show that isn't afraid to laugh at itself. It doesn't put on airs and I appreciate it for that. It's like people are afraid to have fun anymore without being able to justify it to themselves or a third party. No person is above any show. Not every piece of entertainment must be deep, moving or thought-provoking in order to be enjoyable and I respect the show for being pure comedy gold. Slapstick at its purest and most unadulterated.

I mean, sure, yeah. But some people just don't like slapstick. Or shows that think stupidity is funny. I can enjoy a lighthearted comedy, but I'm one of those people. Stupidity and slapstick just aren't a source of comedy to me. And they far too often verge into mean-spirited.
Ali07

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
AhoGirl started on shaky ground with me. But Inu won me over, best dog!
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:53 pm Reply with quote
In terms of "enjoyability" it would be Sakura Quest for me though it started in the spring. Made in Abyss was too emotionally wrenching to score high on that scale. As for Princess Principal, the missions were often fun, but as palom said, Princess Principal's cast had rather dark back stories, some with scenes of child abuse. I thought these elements made the story much more interesting, but not necessarily always "enjoyable."
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:

The main reason why I love Aho Girl is because its the kind of show that isn't afraid to show a girl getting the crap beaten outta of her despite her doing well quickly afterwards.
I can't think of any show quite like this and that's why I think its so good and well deserved the number one spot.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
It was a funny show, 4koma i believe. That last episode is crazy, you live long enough you will meet people crazy like that.

Whatever Jacob hates or says is bad on the podcast, has been number 1 for a few seasons now. Kemono Friends and Aho-girl recently. Weird
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:14 am Reply with quote
Of the summer-debuting anime I watched, PriPri was my fave.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
It was a funny show, 4koma i believe. That last episode is crazy, you live long enough you will meet people crazy like that.

Whatever Jacob hates or says is bad on the podcast, has been number 1 for a few seasons now. Kemono Friends and Aho-girl recently. Weird

Huh? Jacob really liked Kemono Friends. Maybe not the first episode (can't remember who previewed it for the preview guide, but I remember it didn't make a good first impression on most of them) but after the show got going, he really liked it, and he and Zac even did a whole ANNCast talking about their love of the show.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Shadowrun20XX wrote:

Huh? Jacob really liked Kemono Friends. Maybe not the first episode (can't remember who previewed it for the preview guide, but I remember it didn't make a good first impression on most of them) but after the show got going, he really liked it, and he and Zac even did a whole ANNCast talking about their love of the show.

I wouldn't call what either of them espoused to be "love of the show". Zac did seem to genuinely appreciate it and thought of it as something special, but Jacob seemed generally mixed. He liked it, but didn't seem to think it was anything special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2