• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Kino's Journey - the Beautiful World-

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ashabel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
I'll just say this: most of Kino's morals aren't as face value as the reviewer seems to believe. Even the episodes she liked was analyzed for something different from what it was trying to say.

Wasn't that the source of most complaints and arguments in this thread? A lot of noise has been made about how the negative reactions to these reviews are hardcore fans being upset that their beloved series is getting low scores, but the reality is more that a review's quality is completely separate from the score it gives to the show, and the quality of ANN's Kino reviews would still be pretty bad even if the scores were all around glowing.

That said, I'm going to miss these reviews. They were as much of a mess as the show turned out to be, but they provided a humorous read.

As for the show itself, it's fairly easy to tell where things went terribly wrong - a messy "anniversary" project handled by a studio with a spotty history and a clueless, tone-deaf director whose best work until now has been the disastrously bad Persona 3 movie quadrology, with Kino's actress seemingly being the only one who really cared about the whole thing. Add the inane decision to adapt random stories based half of popularity polls and half on the staff shooting darts at the board with story titles instead of trying to frame them in any consistent fashion, and you get a recipe for things going terribly wrong.

All in all, it turned out to be considerably more watchable than I expected it to be when I saw Tomohisa Taguchi's name attached. I would never rank it as high as the 2003 show, but it was fun enough in its own way.

I do wish we would get an adaptation by a more politically minded director who'd actually be willing to sink their teeth into the novels' themes a bit. Kenji Nakamura or Shuuko Murase would be great, but even Seiji Mizushima could turn out fun.
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:46 am Reply with quote
Kino's Journey 2017 can't even fall back on "it's been 14 years since the first series, so you can't expect it to be the same/as good/not changed considerably since the industry has changed so much," because Girls' Last Tour does a lot of what Kino is trying to do but in a vastly superior way, in every way.

All in all, it's not a terrible show, and there were a few decent episodes, but the lows are very low here and the bulk is just plain average. Haven't been this disappointed since the new Berserk.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:52 am Reply with quote
Mapmerry wrote:
Wow, yeah the old one was good, a great show. But it seems rather over idolized if you think this new one wasn't a decent anime itself. I hope you watched it very recently and aren't just using those nostalgia goggles.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I watched the old anime about 2 years ago, and honestly, both are fine.
However, someone who watched the old one as a teen was probably way more impressed by it than they'd be today, hence the dislike for the new version.
varmintx

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
I figured the suck of this show would leak down onto the masterpiece that is the '03 one. It's become a common occurrence that my most cynical expectations become reality.

Oh, and I sure is shit wasn't a teenager in 2003.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I wonder if Chris Patton will reprise his role as original Kino.

He will. Smile
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:22 am Reply with quote
The analysis that the reviews offer is superficial itself, despite ironically claiming that the morals of some of the show's episodes are that.

I was never a raving fan of the original anime, so I did not have a prejudice against these news series. It has turned out to be as thought-proviking as expected unless you keep your attempts to understand what is actually happenning on the surface level where you try to see if the obvious morals make sense or not without trying to understand a larger picture.

It is not a show for five year olds to teach them basic wrongs or rights, and it should not be treated that way.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I agree that the reviewer sometimes misinterprets intentionally morally questionable elements as ‘the moral of the story’, but I also think this is largely a consequence of the director either frequently making the same mistake, or at least doing a very poor job of conveying the intended moral ambiguity.

I actually liked the country of liars, by the way, partly for the fact that the captive motorrad’s country acts as a red herring when the real country of liars is in the second half. The reviewer’s impression of it as a goofy sitcom misunderstanding — not a semi-tragic situation where characters choose to be supposedly happy deceiving and being deceived by their loved ones rather than face uncomfortable truths about themselves and their past actions — is likely partly the fault of the direction also.

And while there’s little context in this series, the first movie made it pretty clear that Kino’s master wasn’t supposed to be any sort of paragon with a philosophy everyone should follow. Even disregarding the references to her violent past, in her mellowed, elderly form she teaches kids by spoiler[lying to them to send them unwittingly into murder-or-be-murdered situations, conveniently completing a job for her in the process.] Kino cares about her but is also genuinely scared of her, and their relationship seems to become strained after that event.

One other random point is that I don’t think the kneecapped guys are idolising their attacker, I think it’s just their way of surviving under the new status quo. It’s much healthier to have always been on the side of the ultimate victors than it is to do or say anything that might remind people you were one of the oppressors under the old regime.

Anyway, I agree with both MaxSouth about the new series being thought-provoking and with the reviewer about it being highly disappointing. Its good ideas were frequently presented badly, and its bad ideas didn’t fare any better. There were still enough good ideas for me to feel it was worthwhile having watched, but only as a companion to the excellent previous series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 21 of 21