• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GARO -Vanishing Line-

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:38 pm Reply with quote
The saddest part is that Martin wasn't even a Horror when Sophie throttled him.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:47 pm Reply with quote
I thought the shadow he cast indicated that he was, even without realizing it. It's what convinced Sophie at any rate.

It does seem unfair that one can become a Horror without any dark or selfish thoughts. Maybe just putting on the ring was enough?
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I thought the shadow he cast indicated that he was, even without realizing it. It's what convinced Sophie at any rate.

It does seem unfair that one can become a Horror without any dark or selfish thoughts. Maybe just putting on the ring was enough?

I figured the shadow was an indication of the Horror in the ring as opposed to his own status, especially given that we see the ring form an entity and swallow him, as opposed to Martin physically transforming.
db999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:21 am Reply with quote
I also think that Martin wasn't yet a horror, because of multiple lines of dialogue throughout the episode. Specifically, during the scene where Martin is being eaten by the horror, it cuts to Bishop saying something about Martin making them wait a long time for this. That led me to believe that he wasn't yet a horror and that it was specifically Sophie trying to kill him and the realization of the deaths he caused that caused him to turn.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:26 pm Reply with quote
What they were waiting for was for him to desire something evil to release the ring's power/entity. It may be that he was not a Horror until then (and I hope so, because maybe that means he can still be saved), but that alone isn't proof.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:03 am Reply with quote
I'm curious, can sword only use his armor for a limited amount of time? Most fights he only puts it on right before a final confrontation, and in this situation if he's in a rush to save sophie and is on foot would he be able to get there faster by putting on his armor to make himself stronger/faster?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:37 am Reply with quote
I think the limit is one minute, but I don't know how long he has to wait between armored times.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:39 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
I'm curious, can sword only use his armor for a limited amount of time? Most fights he only puts it on right before a final confrontation, and in this situation if he's in a rush to save sophie and is on foot would he be able to get there faster by putting on his armor to make himself stronger/faster?

I think one of the episode reviews mentioned they could wear the armor for 99.9 seconds at a time before it starts to harm them. I don't know if that number resets once deactivated, or if that might be their allotted time for a day. My hunch is that it is the total for a certain time period since they tend to try to beat horrors without the armor when possible, and cancel it right after the fight. Sometimes I do wonder if it wouldn't be easier to wear it right away, and finish a fight quickly rather than risk a greater chance at injury, but I suppose they have to consider that they might need that extra time later.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:36 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

A Makai Knight can wear their armor for 99.9 seconds at a time before they turn into a Horror themselves.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:15 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
which is even more strange that they got her in that role considering she is supposed to be a union VA like sword's VA. Shocked Confused funi had to fork off a lot of dough to both her and her union for this to happen let alone not having her to use an alias.

Right! I totally had to do a double take when I first heard her that first time we got young Luke. And it was totally worth it IMO, they are so good Smile

Sword is such perfect casting, I can't imagine anyone else in the role Very Happy

Off-topic, his totally Space Dandy-like speech about the greatness of boobs back in ep 12 was glorious, couldn't stop laughing the entire scene. Just like when Ian Sinclair would do those in that show Very Happy Laughing

Agent355 wrote:
Did anyone else notice that the elevator screen said Stanley was taking Sopie to "The chamber of secrets"? I'm disappointed this episode's title *wasn't* "Sophie Hennes and The Chamber of Secrets" Razz

Gina Szanboti wrote:
Nah. But I am waiting with bated breath to see just what sort of "supplies" Gina hauls back with her. I'm expecting Makai-brand rocket launchers and tactical nukes. Very Happy

Very Happy
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:12 am Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:

As a follow-up to my previous post, I started watching the live-action Garo, and a timer of 99.9 seconds shows up right when the armor is first used, so that is apparently the typical limit.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:45 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
#844391 wrote:

As a follow-up to my previous post, I started watching the live-action Garo, and a timer of 99.9 seconds shows up right when the armor is first used, so that is apparently the typical limit.

The franchise makes heavy use of Dramatic Time, but 99.9 seconds is indeed supposed to be the time limit across the franchise. And that isn't a hard limit where the armor runs out of steam and deactivates, it's the limit of where they lose control of the armor (the armor itself is made from horrors, after all), so the real limit is actually "sometime before the time runs out." This doesn't get explicitly referenced as much in recent years (and never in the animated series), but the 4th live action series (which was relatively recent) did bring it back up at the climax just to be the way the Garo of that series the method of obtaining his once-every-series completely-unique pulled-from-basically-nowhere super mode.

On another subject, there is precedence from the live action of Zaruba being reforged after being destroyed, but that precedent was set to where Zaruba doesn't have any of his memories prior to being reforged (permanently).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Man, people need to stop hating on this idea of "80's anime" like it's a bad thing. I've heard a lot of "edgy rape cartoon" this, "edgy rape cartoon" that from this site alot and it bugs me. I'd rather have my anime be nothing but edge then be about cutesy high school cooking clubs or something like that that has already been done 1000 and 1 times and wasn't even entertaining the first. And let's stop pretending that's there's something wrong with being edy edgy in the first place, and the term "edge" is pretty relevant. Edgy is just a bad 2 Chan meme tbh.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I get it that Sword is the MC and supposed to get the best fights, but i really wanted Luke to kick Knight's ass this time. Instead he lost again, just less...pathetically? Mad

The rest of the episode was pretty fab, though.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:28 pm Reply with quote
^ My thoughts exactly. At least we did get that one side story where Luke didn't just get his ass handed to him as usual. Still hoping he gets his due in the finale, but that's looking unlikely.

Gotta say I do like Gina's idea of "supplies" though. Twisted Evil
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8