• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Anime Films Submitted for Animated Feature Oscar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I saw a trailer for the Big Bad Fox and Other Tales, it was in French (well, because it's a French film) and I thought it was funny.

I watched Captain Underpants (because I'm a fan of the novels) and wasn't disappointed.

Avoided Boss Baby, Despicable Me, Emoji, Smurfs like the plague and will most definitely avoid Ferdinand and The Star.

If only Early Man released this year.

On the anime side, I found it funny that SAO would get nominated.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
'Tis much of a pity that despite the increase in major media companies investing in anime, the wherewithal required to purchase an Oscar for a feature-length work is unlikely to materialise soon. Furthermore, it goes without saying that it'd be naive to expect such films to compete with children's pabulum on their own merits...

Last edited by Zin5ki on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, none of these are really worthy of it.
Blue21

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
A Silent Voice might actually make it since the Academy eats up stories about the inspirationally disadvantaged.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Not even Loving Vincent which uses art inspired by Van Gogh. Learn to broaden your horizons.
TsukasaHiiragi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, this category the voting is always heavily bias.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Didn't realise it was almost "anime snubbed at the Oscars" season again. Not the best year, so maybe one of them will get it this time. My non-vote is for Ethel & Earnest. In an arthouse dreamworld, The Girl Without Hands would get it.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
DamianSalazar wrote:
Kougeru wrote:

Not even Loving Vincent which uses art inspired by Van Gogh. Learn to broaden your horizons.

And Pixar's Coco looks pretty good, and has a good chance at the Oscar since large portions of the story rip off "Spirited Away" wholesale. Razz
Key

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Finally got to see A Silent Voice last night, and I have to think that it has at least a little better chance than normal for anime films because it is a serious movie about an important topic and not just competing head-to-head with other fantastical stories. It certainly deserves the attention that a nomination would bring it.

The SAO movie, OTOH, seems like the biggest longshot and the least deserving of the anime movies listed - and I say that as someone who's a big franchise fan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Coco has already won, and it's not even out in the U.S. yet. There will be no contest. This is a pretty bad year for American animation though, so anime really should have stepped up their game this year the industry might have had a chance with a big, important tent pole anime movie.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I really want In This Corner of the World to get through, it was a wonderful film. But like the rest, it won't. I heard from one a few years ago they said they didn't vote for the Anime films because they didn't watch them, so they just voted for the ones they knew.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
Coco has already won, and it's not even out in the U.S. yet. There will be no contest. This is a pretty bad year for American animation though, so anime really should have stepped up their game this year the industry might have had a chance with a big, important tent pole anime movie.

I agree, American animation has been pretty mediocre this year. But hey in 2018, we get The Incredibles II, Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs, Laika's next project, Wreck-it-Ralph 2, the animated Spider-Man film, and if puppetry counts, The Happytime Murders (done by the Jim Henson Company).
IanC

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Coco will win it easily, sadly.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:23 pm Reply with quote
sailorsweeper wrote:
Quote:
Alec Baldwin probably is good friends with the Academy people.

This is the only reason I can think of it being nominated even though it has zero chance against Coco or Your Name, Mary and World

Your Name is not competing. That was for the previous one.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
Even without The Emoji Movie, this was a pretty lackluster year for American animation, maybe even more so than 2013 - not even Despicable Me 3 got good reviews. The most likely candidate is Coco, but that might end up like The Good Dinosaur and just not make enough to be on the radar. As for the anime movies, if there's a nominee it's going to be In This Corner of the World, though A Silent Voice would be pretty cool (especially since it's Oscar bait-y material).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4