• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: California's Anime on Display Convention Ceases Operations

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay... this really makes me sad even though I haven't attended in years. The reason is quite simple. I met my best friend at the 2005 version... (Well technically we started dating from this, but the point still stands.)

I will still have my memories being in the cosplay competitions, playing the game shows and getting crappy prizes, talking to voice actors in panels... including oddly enough Alex Borstein hyping up the returning Family Guy (Not kidding about that).
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Eventhough I've never attended AOD, it's sad to see it go away Crying or Very sad
flammie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I live in the Bay Area and I've never heard of this convention. I guess that is why it is shutting down.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Oh yes, this was the convention that was foolish enough to attempt to skirt US immigration law, causing their guest, Lotus Juice, to be deported before their 2017 event.

While it's true that the Bay Area could use some more anime conventions, we need conventions that are willing to abide by the law instead of trying to skirt around it.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Getting your guests deported sounds like a great way to get a con blackballed.
hikanteki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I attended in 2010, 2012, and 2016. I would have loved to attend when it was Anime Overdose in 2005, but ever since then it's been kind of a wannabe convention. It pared its guest list way down and tried to use the rebrand as a gaming hybrid convention as the excuse for that...except that only explains the different types of guests, not the significantly reduced guests. Happy Tree Friends and Tommy Yune can only be the main focus for so many years in a row.

From 2005 to 2013 at least it had the novelty of being in SF (and in, or close to, Japantown). I think this actually helped it last as long as it did, as it was an unsaturated market -- SF city (very oddly) has never been able to hang onto these kind of fan conventions. Then it gradually moved south, to Burlingame for a few years (which made no sense) and finally to the South Bay, where there has always been a much better and more established scene for anime and comic cons. San Jose and Santa Clara have no shortage. Last year it moved back to Santa Clara, and final death knell happened when Crunchyroll Expo (which blows AoD out of the water in literally every way possible) set up shop in Santa Clara.

I've had a good time the years I went. I was having a rather awful few months at the beginning of 2010, and being able to go to AOD (and other conventions) cheered me up. They've had some interesting guests here and there. I loved seeing Isuna Hasekura. I've found a few cool Gloomy Bears in the Dealer's Hall. But to be honest, AOD has run its course.

Cutiebunny wrote:
Oh yes, this was the convention that was foolish enough to attempt to skirt US immigration law, causing their guest, Lotus Juice, to be deported before their 2017 event.

Shocked How did this happen? All I read was that it was due to "visa issues."
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Well, that's unfortunate for fans of this. With that said, its final year had Grisaia, so thats a memorable finale.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1