• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Crowdfund Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray Disc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:36 am Reply with quote
I have been hoping for this since they announced Riding Bean, which I also liked but didn't want to get as it was only one episode.I liked the dub for this as well.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Was there ever a Gunsmith Cats Blu-ray in Japan? If there is I can't seem to find it. AnimEigo's previous Kickstarter BDs all had a release in Japan first if I'm not mistaken, so this would be new...?

Robert Woodhead told the backers of the Riding Bean Kickstarter this would be a true HD bluray. There is no bluray in Japan so this leads me to believe they will be doing a scan of the original film. I’m very excited. This was one of the first anime I bought on VHS when I was 12. Can’t wait to see the cell animation in glorious HD.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
Take my money. NOW. Very Happy

I've backed every AnimEigo KS to date, and have not been disappointed in the final product. The vibe is that GSC will get a scan from film; I pray it's true, that and keeping the ADV dub. One of my favorites from my early days of fandom (I first had this on VHS, IIRC). As a Riding Bean backer, I got the heads-up directly from AE yesterday morning.

BRING.
IT.
I_Drive_DSM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:20 am Reply with quote
I've forever loved Gunsmith Cats. It could be because the manga was one of the first manga series I got into and the OVAs were released around that time period, but on the other hand I feel it's a really good series as a whole. Ep 2's car chase scene is immensely impressive for cell animation and while a bit over the top was really enjoable to watch.

KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I don't see any reason why the Blu-Ray for Gunsmith cats won't have the ADV dub. The dub is pretty much a foregone conclusion considering how good it is. Plus, it adds a layer of authenticity to the OVA's settings. The show does take place in the U.S.A. after all. Wink

Rally Vincent just isn't Rally Vincent without Amanda Winn Lee and Rob Mungle as ATF agent, Collins.

I agree with you 100% here. Compared to dubs as a whole and any arguments against/for them ADV did a pretty good job with Gunsmith Cats. It not only fits the theme of the show but aesthetically there's very little issue with the dub sans a few cringe moments with Becky and Radinov for me. Otherwise it's done very well and if it's useable I don't see a reason for AnimEigo to re-dub.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Though I'm sure some of the more controversial content would have to be toned down.

Considering some of the stuff they put out now, I would say it would be a coin toss on whether they would tone it down or not. Kenichi Sonoda has done plenty of risque and adult stuff. Though probably not to the levels of Masume Shirow and Johji Manabe.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
Can’t wait to see the cell animation in glorious HD.
Cel, short for celluloid, which they were made of in the olden days. Cell is what your body is made up of.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
Cel, short for celluloid, which they were made of in the olden days. Cell is what your body is made up of.

Chill, bro. It was a typo.
Bamble

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I don't see any reason why the Blu-Ray for Gunsmith cats won't have the ADV dub. The dub is pretty much a foregone conclusion considering how good it is.

I hope the dub is included, but there's been recent precedent with pre-existing dubs specifically being excluded from newer releases, such as Black Magic M-66 and Vampire Hunter D, so I hope it's something AnimEigo can clarify sooner rather than later.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:

I'm not angry, I was just explaining
levonr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The ADV Essential version had new commentary and remixed 5.1 for the dub so hopefully they include those. ADV's dubs in the 90's were terrible but this was perhaps their best I thought.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:
Ajc228 wrote:

I'm not angry, I was just explaining
It just seemed like you were a little overzealous to correct over a distinction anyone could have made by looking at the context of the comment.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
It’s really cool to see them rescue something they never had before, and hopefully they’ll keep the dub. It would be cool if they rescued some other titles they’ve never had. I love their Blu-rays for Bubblegum Crisis and Riding Bean.

Any word on their Kickstarter for A.D. Police Files? They announced it, and I was really looking forward to it. That’s actually one of my favorite 90s OVAs, and I like it even better than Bubblegum Crisis.
Lionel Horsepackage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Sweet news! Was hoping Mr. Woodhead would eventually get to do this release, and the confirmation that it's going to be a proper HD scan is the icing on the cake (and wow, there's never been a Japanese BD release before?). Fingers crossed for A.D. Police Files down the road, here, too.
SolHerald

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm still kinda salty I missed the kickstarter/blu-ray for Bubblegum Crisis.
Tbh, I don't know anything about Gunsmith Cats, but it looks like something I would like. Would it be safe to assume a huge fan of Dirty Pair would also like this?
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I shall support this and replace my DVD copy
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3