• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Alita: Battle Angel Film's 1st Trailer Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:21 pm Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
I never understood WHY a limited series adaptation of Battle Angel was NEVER done beyond the two OVAs which I thought were at least decent if not excellent adaptations of the early chapters of the Gunnm manga.

Two simple factors:

1. The OVAs actually adapted most of the content that had been published up to the point where they would have went into production. (Volume 3 came out in tankoubon form only about a month before episode 1 was released.) At the time it was made - the early '90s - a manga getting just a couple of OVA episodes wasn't that unusual anyway.

2. James Cameron has set on the license for the movie rights since the very early 2000s, and that license precluded animating it.

I'm just glad that it has finally gotten made and that it looks amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
omegaproxy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:28 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
Isn't Alita ethnically German? And the setting set in America?

I'm probably wrong, its been forever since I read Battle Angel Alita. I distinctly remember her real name being spoiler[Yoko. so I thought she was Japanese.] Maybe someone can correct me on this.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Eh, I kinda like the eyes. The "uncanny valley" look seems to be entirely intentional, which seems to be flying over people's heads. She has a robot body, of course she won't look quite human.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but I'm not lost in her eyes, but highly distracted by them.

Not sure what directorial decision was made, but I think increasing the eye size to what they are is a bit too much. I'd reduce it by 20%.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe we can get a anime TV series based on the manga to promote the live action movie. That's what happen with Parasyte and Kaiji which never got anime adaptions until decades later and where mostly made to promote their live action movie counterparts.
Random Minion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
Also, after looking at this, I noticed two things.

- Zapan's missing the Blue Oyster Cult mark on his forehead. The artist loved that band, which is why it's there in the manga. Probably copyright issues.

- Ido's not got that exile mark on his brow...
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
AnimusPrime wrote:
Aresef wrote:
I wanna know who thought the eyes were a good idea.

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/alita-battle-angel-trailer-breakdown/

Robert Rodriguez wrote:
It was always Jim's intention to create a photo-realistic version of the manga eyes that we're so accustomed to seeing. We really wanted to honour that tradition and see that look standing next to any human character. To have the right person to emote behind it was really essential. Her origins are in the film and you understand why she looks that way. If the eyes are the windows to the soul, we have some pretty big windows. You can see a lot going on in there! When it gets to the emotional scenes it's really uncanny and striking. And captivating!

Thanks, Animus Prime

Okay.. I would say that creating Photo-realistic version manga eyes for sake of honoring is just being ignorant. Manga eyes are just another cartoony exaggeration of normal human facial expressions and features and someone's taking it literally as the real thing. I wonder if James Cameron ever tried one of those photo booth where he can print those large "manga eyes" of his own and find out how awful it is...

I thought Japanese film makers are bad by literally copying the look of the manga... And this whole another level...
Random Minion

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 am Reply with quote
omegaproxy wrote:
jdnation wrote:
Isn't Alita ethnically German? And the setting set in America?

I'm probably wrong, its been forever since I read Battle Angel Alita. I distinctly remember her real name being spoiler[Yoko. so I thought she was Japanese.] Maybe someone can correct me on this.

Fun question! Your spoiler is partly correct. spoiler[Her given name is Yoko. Her origin was just mentioned in Mars Chronicles, which isn't published in English yet -- in fact the tankoubon (compilation) for that series includes more details of her origin, which is tied up in the origin of a villain by the name of Muster. Muster and the current (at the time of his story) princess of Sidonia were infected by a bio weapon that caused them to grow tumors all over their body that consisted of faces, and even functional brains. Yoko is apparently a tumor of the princess that formed a fully functional brain, was excised and placed in a cyborg body from the get-go. How the name was assigned and all the raw details of this process are still unshown in the manga, which is still ongoing. Right now that series is focused on Yoko and her friend Erica's childhood and presumably will be for some time, so more details may come to light later. Also, Sidonia, like much of Mars in Kishiro Yukito's works is pretty German in flavor -- much like Jovian Chronicles coincidentally.]
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:55 am Reply with quote
Fallenmessiahx wrote:
Spawn29 wrote:
So are people going bitch about whitewashing again like they did with Ghost in the Shell?

The actress that plays Alita is Hispanic. So "brown washing"? That would be such a dumb thing for someone to complain about but the internet is filled with insane people.

And you'd be doubly wrong about the brown-washing comment but, hey, can't expect people to understand half the "racial" classifications are based on the PRIMARY language people speak than than their actual ethnic group!

Hispanic means "Spanish speaker (primarily)." It does NOT mean Mexican, Central American, etc. If you want to parse terms, there is no such thing as a "Mexican" race -- Mexicans are primarily mixed blood Native American/Spanish colonist or pure-blooded Spaniard descent.
There are European Hispanics, Hispanics with Arab, Jewish, and Asian heritage, too. They cover the entire racial/skin color spectrum.

It's in the US where they believe "Hispanic" automatically means "Mexican" and that's just not the case.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm okay with that trailer. I think I can get past the creepy factor with the eyes.

I just hope they'll give me a 2D option locally when it's in first run because I have severely unbalanced vision and simply cannot handle 3D. It just gives me a headache and nausea. I know, generally, there usually are 2D screenings for 3D movies, but not 100% of the time for venues I can get to easily. For example, the Ghost in the Shell remake was pretty much only screened in 3D anywhere near me in Ottawa until it hit the second run place, which only shows movies in 2D. I dare say, if the only first run screenings of Battle Angel are in 3D, I'll just wait until it's at the second run place just so I can see it in 2D.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheAnimeRevolutionizer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:38 am Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
dem eyes tho...LEVEL 9 ANIME EYES!

Reaching clannad level

I dunno, Clannad when "quality" reminded me of frogs. Or was that Galaxy Angel? Either way, I still like those two. The uncanny valley here however is well..... should I put it, over 9000?
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:38 am Reply with quote
Watching this I'm already wondering if Japan's going to do like Ghost in the Shell and use the Japanese voice actors from the OVA to do dubbing on this live action version. Probably not though going to happen that way, I mean they did that for Ghost in the Shell and that really awful Fist of the North Star live action movie that came out in the 90s. It would be interesting if Miki Ito and Kappei Yamaguchi do dubbing for the leads.
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I'm sorry, but I'm not lost in her eyes, but highly distracted by them.

Not sure what directorial decision was made, but I think increasing the eye size to what they are is a bit too much. I'd reduce it by 20%.

I think something went amiss when trying to model the CG Alita head here. It might be possible to still keep it in the stylized version like the anime/manga. Actually I think it might look better if they tried to model the head more stylistically than pseudo realistically. For the eyes, I think the issue are the whites in contrast to the iris. The iris aren't proportionally large enough. The iris need to extend past upper and lower eyelids except for intentional widening of the eyes. Ironically that's supposed to be both the method used in realism and manga/anime styles.

Also the rest of areas around the eyes need adjustment, like eyelids--should have more space above and needs more concavity from eyebrow which needs to be higher and in turn forehead needs to be bigger. Cheekbones need to be lower. Nose needs to be sharper or more prounounced.

Basically IMO it would achieve the goal of making the CG Alita here look more different from humans and like a stylized android, than a sort of pseudo human in uncanny valley.
MrBonk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:06 am Reply with quote
Alita's design looks great to me, they couldn't have nailed it better. She isn't totally human after all. If they changed it and made it too realistic, people would be complaining about that too. It's not uncanny valley at all. Those eyes have expression and emotion. In the first bit, clearly she is just awakening

I am much looking forward to this.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
The song sucks but my faith in the production seems to have been rewarded. It´s properly based on the first 1rd from the OG manga and the cyborgs and robots look about as uncanny as they would. They even had the balls to make Gally the bizarro doll she is. I will note though that she looks closer to the OVA design than the manga. Here:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5