• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Death March to The Parallel World Rhapsody

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:10 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
JacobC wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
What, no comments about how Satou is a disgusting misogynistic pervert for having consensual sex with an adult woman? I'm surprised.

Your nonexistent boogeymen don't post in here.

Come on now, you know they have been running Satou thru the ringer in is thread.

Never once for those reasons though. Those aren't reasons anyone has a problem with. That's a dogwhistle to try and dismiss legitimate criticisms of the show's issues (flippant cutesy depiction of sexual slavery) as "OH you're just afraid of SEX period." Details are important.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:17 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Never once for those reasons though.

As I just said, they demonized him for something as normal and harmless as a man tastefully commenting on a woman's appearance in his head. Not just this thread, but the This Week In Anime article too. Those sorts of comments, which shame someone for normal sexual impulses, don't deserve to be legitimised in the first place.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
JacobC wrote:

As I just said, they demonized him for something as normal and harmless as a man tastefully commenting on a woman's appearance in his head. Not just this thread, but the This Week In Anime article too. Those sorts of comments, which shame someone for normal sexual impulses, don't deserve to be legitimised in the first place.

Satoo isn't a real person. A real camera didn't catch a real guy thinking about a woman and saying "would if twenty pounds lighter."

Somebody wrote that line in as sort of a lame throwaway joke. The author thought "I'm going to go out of my way to make a reverse-butterface joke," and people understandably responded with "Why? This lame 'lol fat' joke is tasteless and adds nothing." (Except making the protagonist less likable for no reason. Yeah, most of us would not be very likable if others could hear every dumb or judgey thing that flew through our minds, but that's why most stories don't include all those details.) The criticism is about that choice by that writer, not about the hypothetical scenario of a real person having weight-based standards for who they would do.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:58 pm Reply with quote
It does contribute to his characterization, and not as negatively as people automatically assume. It lets us know that he does have a certain type and why he doesn't react much to other girls who throw themselves at him.

But it's still an inherent issue that you'd look at a comment like that and immediately twist it into the most negative form possible. He didn't go "lol fat" and his tone had absolutely no hint of disgust in it. His reaction to her appearance was overwhelmingly positive just with that if on it. Calling it a "joke" is really stretching it.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:45 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Those aren't reasons anyone has a problem with. That's a dogwhistle to try and dismiss legitimate criticisms of the show's issues (flippant cutesy depiction of sexual slavery) as "OH you're just afraid of SEX period." Details are important.

Maybe I missed a chapter or an anime scene where Satou uses the girls as sex slaves. Since I don't ever remember seeing or reading that scene.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Not Satoo specifically, but they're pretty explicit about the little girls being used for sex in the past. Just swept under the rug like an awkward thing that's all better now because they don't have to do it anymore.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:38 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:
Not Satoo specifically, but they're pretty explicit about the little girls being used for sex in the past. Just swept under the rug like an awkward thing that's all better now because they don't have to do it anymore.

We were talking specifically about Satou. But to your new point, of course it is swept under the rug. They are not living in our enlightened age, slavery is common place then, and the lot of children without parents is bad also. But even more so, this show is not a period piece drama, where such things would be expected to be more highlighted for the 'drama' of it. Much like the live action movie 'The Name of the Rose'.
The writers can safely assume that the audience already knows that slavery, rape, and murder are evil and bad; and they don't need to hit us over the head to tell us that.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
JacobC wrote:

IIRC I'm pretty sure the issues people had Satou earlier on was that every woman he met was view through a sexual lens where he bluntly comment no matter what. Worse a lot either females then tend to be underaged or somebody's mother lead the story he would need to keep pointing out their aren't his type like if he's hiding something instead of letting being naturally apparent through his interactions.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Satou getting in a fight with corrupt government officials was a bit average but it was handled well. The alchemy he is learning will come into play later on and tinkering around to see what he can do with it was a way to show that he is methodical. Arisa also continues to be good with the witty remarks such as when finding out that the magic board only lights up when it is used.

Iron Maw wrote:
IIRC I'm pretty sure the issues people had Satou earlier on was that every woman he met was view through a sexual lens where he bluntly comment no matter what.
Satou is a bit of a player but at the start of episode 11 when he went with that waitress to her room he never said anything blunt to her. From what I have seen in the anime he has been consistently civil in what he says to women and occasionally he just thinks some sexual thoughts. Satou having preferences in women is just a portrayal of his character to make him more relatable to the audience.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:19 pm Reply with quote
JacobC wrote:

These particular girls, no (their only prior masters have been the slave trader and whoever it was originally had them cursed, and he just kept them locked up). Slaves in general, yes, hence their expectations of the first night.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
JacobC wrote:

These particular girls, no (their only prior masters have been the slave trader and whoever it was originally had them cursed, and he just kept them locked up). Slaves in general, yes, hence their expectations of the first night.

With Liza, Tama, and Pochi that might ring true, since there has been no indication that anything like that had happened. Though that doesn't mean it didn't happen. The lot of children with no parents was a pretty horrible one in the Medieval/Feudal days.

Arisa and Lulu on the other hand, I believe, indicated that such things did happen to them on a regular basis. (Before Satou or BS)
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:10 am Reply with quote
Ahh, what a delightfully vapid way to end this isekai/iyashiki/SOL show, with a nice bedtime story about the gods and nothing about going to the netherworld (so scary~)...Fans hope for a second season despite the last one just trailing off with Satou enjoying his harem-in-bed (minus Alice/Arisa, nothing pervy going on) but alas, Isekai Smartphone hasn't had a hint of such, so this one I doubt will either.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Ahh, what a delightfully vapid way to end this isekai/iyashiki/SOL show, with a nice bedtime story about the gods and nothing about going to the netherworld (so scary~)...Fans hope for a second season despite the last one just trailing off with Satou enjoying his harem-in-bed (minus Alice/Arisa, nothing pervy going on) but alas, Isekai Smartphone hasn't had a hint of such, so this one I doubt will either.

I hope you are wrong, but you are probably not.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:31 pm Reply with quote
The only thing I'm going to remember this series for is the horny 11 year old. This series does not get more disturbing than that.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:33 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Arisa and Lulu on the other hand, I believe, indicated that such things did happen to them on a regular basis. (Before Satou or BS)

I'm specifically talking about Arisa and Lulu, and I don't recall there being any difference here between the LN and WN. I'm behind on the anime again and can't remember what level of detail they went into, or where in the novels the details came out so potential spoilers: spoiler[The way I recall it, they were the last remaining members of their family after the rest were used to try and revive the labyrinth under their city, and from that point they were locked up (presumably just in case) until their slave contract was broken with the death of their then master when a demon came out of the labyrinth. After escaping the destruction they wandered until Nidoren rescued them, and he was both unlikely to "use" his merchandise in that manner and unable to find a buyer for them until Satou.]
They both had expectations of what a master would require of them, but there's never any indication that either of them has lost their virginity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 17 of 18