• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: After the Rain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryutai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, I'm confused as to Kondo's back-story's time line.

It's honestly easier than you think.
Kondo and Midori probably started to date during their collage years, but we don't know exactly when they married. I don't know about your Country, but people often marry when they are over 30, also in my Country.
Chihiro said that Kondo decided to marry, abandoning his project to go with him to India.
During that journey, Chihiro wrote the novel that made him popular.
It's possible this happened when both of them were in their first 30s. Yuto is almost 10 years old in the anime (we see his 10th birthday in the manga after Halloween, if I'm not wrong), so he was born when Kondo was more or less 35 y/o. And since he said he lost his contacts with Chihiro for 10 years, we can understand it happened more or less when Yuto was born. Kondo never stopped writing, he said only he hasn't been able to end a novel in 4/5 years. He is working as a manager for 6 years if I am not wrong, and I guess he divorced from Midori when he was around 39/40 y/o.
In the family photo that we see, Yuto is probably 4/5 y/o.

Anyway, if you are interested in Midori, go to read the manga. Sadly this is only a 12 episodes anime adaptation, so they are skipping tons of material.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:23 am Reply with quote
Midori* still wrote and her work was published in the 1989 journal 望郷 of their university literary circle Chihiro brings along.

* 工嶋みどり (?)

Last edited by #Verso.Sciolto on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 am Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:
Coup d'État wrote:
On a totally unrelated note, I'm confused as to Kondo's back-story's time line.

It's honestly easier than you think.
Kondo and Midori probably started to date during their collage years, but we don't know exactly when they married. I don't know about your Country, but people often marry when they are over 30, also in my Country.
Chihiro said that Kondo decided to marry, abandoning his project to go with him to India.
During that journey, Chihiro wrote the novel that made him popular.
It's possible this happened when both of them were in their first 30s. Yuto is almost 10 years old in the anime (we see his 10th birthday in the manga after Halloween, if I'm not wrong), so he was born when Kondo was more or less 35 y/o. And since he said he lost his contacts with Chihiro for 10 years, we can understand it happened more or less when Yuto was born. Kondo never stopped writing, he said only he hasn't been able to end a novel in 4/5 years. He is working as a manager for 6 years if I am not wrong, and I guess he divorced from Midori when he was around 40 y/o.

Quote:
The mean age of first marriage was 30.9 for men and 29.3 for women in 2013, a rise by 2.4 years and 3.1 years, respectively, over the past twenty years (in 1994: grooms, 28.5; brides, 26.2)
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/pdf/2014all.pdf, p.18
Now, we can never draw conclusions from the mean to the individual, but I actually got the impression, too, that they married not that long after college.
Obviously, Japan shifted a bit in the last decades, but it's still the country that referred to unmarried woman over the age of 26 as "Christmas cakes" (hence, useless).

Quote:
he lost his contacts with Chihiro for 10 years, we can understand it happened more or less when Yuto was born.
Right.

Quote:
He is working as a manager for 6 years if I am not wrong, and I guess he divorced from Midori when he was around 40 y/o.
+
he said only he hasn't been able to end a novel in 4/5 years
Right. Kid is about 4-5, they divorce, he starts his dead end job, stops writing(or at least finishing) shortly after that.

Quote:

I was under the impression that all of that this happened in their mid-20's. As pointed out, them getting married in their 30's in the 1990's is not impossible, just not likely. Also, I don't think it's common in Japan to date for a decade before marring your partner. That would leave us with that 1 decade that's missing in my opinion, as he would have continued to write for that time, without success.
But even if it happend like you describe it, what did he do in that time after college to the birth of his son? Either way, he spent his time from reaching adulthood / going to college to his 40's writing, unsuccessfully.

*edit*
Quote:
Anyway, if you are interested in Midori, go to read the manga. Sadly this is only a 12 episodes anime adaptation, so they are skipping tons of material.
As I said, I pre-ordered it a while ago, but it's not out yet. I'm sure it makes more sense in the source material.
#Verso.Sciolto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ryutai wrote:
Anyway, if you are interested in Midori, go to read the manga.
Doesn't work that way. From page one of this thread the manga has been held up as indicative of what would happen in the anime. Quite clearly the manga and the anime are significantly different. In the anime Midori has so far been reduced rather significantly "as a person", wouldn't you say?
Ryutai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:

Quote:
The mean age of first marriage was 30.9 for men and 29.3 for women in 2013, a rise by 2.4 years and 3.1 years, respectively, over the past twenty years (in 1994: grooms, 28.5; brides, 26.2)
http://www.stat.go.jp/english/data/handbook/pdf/2014all.pdf, p.18

That average age is already very high, do you know it? It suggests many people marry when they are over 30 also in Japan, exactly like in my Country.
And it's probably the case of this story.

Quote:

Quote:

I was under the impression that all of that this happened in their mid-20's. As pointed out, them getting married in their 30's in the 1990's is not impossible, just not likely.

You are creating a lot of unnecessary confusion. This manga started in 2014, and Kondo was 45 y/o in that year. So, he could be born in 1969/1970. He probably married when he was 30 y/o or a bit older, so in 1999 or in the earlier 2000s. Yuto was born for sure when he was 35 y/o.

Last edited by Ryutai on Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:48 am Reply with quote
#Verso.Sciolto wrote:
Ryutai wrote:
Anyway, if you are interested in Midori, go to read the manga.
Doesn't work that way. From page one of this thread the manga has been held up as indicative of what would happen in the anime. Quite clearly the manga and the anime are significantly different. In the anime Midori has so far been reduced rather significantly, wouldn't you say?

Well, in the Anime, she's not a human, she's a plot device for Kondo. Some thing to marry, get pregnant and divorce from.
We do see him having a lot of regret over this, but that's all for the sake of his character arc, whereas she might as well be stuffed in a fridge somewhere. (Not really, since son lives with here, but you'll get the point.)

Ryutai wrote:

You are creating a lot of unnecessary confusion. This manga started in 2014, and Kondo was 45 y/o in that year. So, he could be born in 1969/1970. He probably married when he was 30 y/o or a bit older, so in 1999 or in the earlier 2000s. Yuto was born for sure when he was 35 y/o.

I'm not that confused as to how the story line is written, I just don't think it makes sense.
I'd like to get any argument for them marring later rather than earlier, other than 'feeling'. I've only seen the Anime (once), so I sure missed things.

I can't seem to find better statistics on the subject. The mean has uses, but I'd rather see a distribution.
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the double post, but the forum is super glitchy today, and I cannot edit my previous post.

Well, after some digging, I found this: http://nbakki.hatenablog.com/entry/Changes_in_the_Percentage_of_Unmarried_Women_in_Japan_by_Age
All that really tells us, though, is that Midori was most likely to get married between 24 and 35, which helps neither argument.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:19 am Reply with quote
@Coup d'État: there are simply tons of people, in real life, who marry after they are 30 y/o. It's basically normal, here in Italy, and Japan is very similar in this to my Country. It's related to many social aspects, like the lack of a stable job. Only accept that the situation presented in this manga is one of these very common cases, unlike what you could think, or if you don't want accept it, okay, I give up. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Coup d'État

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:30 am Reply with quote
Of course people marry in their 30's. That's not my point. From watching the show, I got the feeling that it was implied that they married shortly after college. Now, "having the feeling that it was implied" based on an adaption is not a very solid place to argue from, and since you read the Manga, which I could not have done yet, I had hoped you could point out where it is implied (or outright stated) otherwise.

I'm not sure I was able to express my point properly, but I was actually arguing in good faith.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:35 am Reply with quote
Coup d'État wrote:
Of course people marry in their 30's. That's not my point. From watching the show, I got the feeling that it was implied that they married shortly after college. Now, "having the feeling that it was implied" based on an adaption is not a very solid place to argue from, and since you read the Manga, which I could not have done yet, I had hoped you could point out where it is implied (or outright stated) otherwise.

I'm not sure I was able to express my point properly, but I was actually arguing in good faith.

I didn't read all the manga volumes, anyway I never got this impression of yours, since Yuto is very young, so I always thought Kondo married when he was more or less 30 y/o.
It's also suggested by the fact he, actually, never had a stable or succesful job, indeed Kubo implied this was one of the reasons why his wife got tired of him in the first anime episode.
piebaker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:19 am Reply with quote
So, apparently the anime is ending soon and the manga has actually ended. For those who are curious, I'd take this with a grain of salt since I pretty much just read this on the MAL forums:

spoiler[They don't end up together. I think the people who have been wringing their hands nervously can calm down now.]
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:18 am Reply with quote
Beautiful review by Gabriella, about the episode 11.
Crext

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:16 am Reply with quote
I'll be honest. I thought this episode was really boring. I'm guessing next episode will be "return to the track team"-day and "return to writing"-day, and that is our happy ending. In reality it is as if nothing we've seen so far really mattered.
pip25

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:35 pm Reply with quote
What is starting to annoy me at this point is while Kondo's dreams of literature and a career as a writer are well fleshed out, Akira and track is still little more than a blank slate. And worse yet, people (including the reviewer) are projecting their own ideas on this blank slate, presenting them as something Akira wants, while in reality, she has been incredibly, almost infuriatingly passive about the whole thing, not really displaying emotions one way or the other - heck, her outburst in the most recent episode could be interpreted as "Why can't people finally drop the subject?!"

Sure, Akira's current situation is not ideal. However, that problem has more to do with isolation, not with her missing from the track team. In fact, I am having reservations of a friendship that so completely lives or dies on a shared hobby, and of a friend (Haruka) whose only plan of mending said friendship is to demand that Akira returns to said shared hobby, preferably RIGHT NOW.

I am simply frustrated that everyone, both within the show and among the audience, has the plan all laid out for what's best for Akira, and yet we know so little of her own true feelings and thoughts, even after the penultimate episode.
Ryutai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:42 pm Reply with quote
pip25 wrote:
What is starting to annoy me at this point is while Kondo's dreams of literature and a career as a writer are well-fleshed out, Akira and track is still little more than a blank slate. And worse yet, people (including the reviewer) are projecting their own ideas on this blank slate, presenting them as something Akira wants, while in reality, she has been incredibly, almost infuriatingly passive about the whole thing, not really displaying emotions one way or the other - heck, her outburst in the most recent episode could be interpreted as "Why can't people finally drop the subject?!"

Sure, Akira's current situation is not ideal. However, that problem has more to do with isolation, not with her missing from the track team. In fact, I am having reservations of a friendship that so completely lives or dies on a shared hobby, and of a friend (Haruka) whose only plan of mending said friendship is to demand that Akira returns to said shared hobby, preferably RIGHT NOW.

I am simply frustrated that everyone, both within the show and among the audience, has the plan all laid out for what's best for Akira, and yet we know so little of her own true feelings and thoughts, even after the penultimate episode.

I think what she really wants was already clear in many scenes. For example, when she ran in one of the first episodes to give a client his smartphone back, when she chose in the library a photo book about running, when she was listening to the sound of the wind.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 25 of 31