• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:55 pm Reply with quote
iatheia wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Now, my only worry, is what this means for the extra content. If the new cards really ARE upgraded/converted forms of the older cards, will we actually get the filler episode cards from the first anime upgraded, too?

At the rate they are going, they will ran out of material rather quickly. There is, what, around 20 chapters available so far, and they are averaging 2-3 chapters per episode... So that may very well happen, unless they want to get so far ahead of the manga storyline that they end up being completely different.

Confirmed in the preview for episode 5 that spoiler[we're going to see filler content and, indeed, filler clear cards!] That said, it seems weird to start doing this stuff now when there are only 22 episodes planned. BUT... considering their current schedule, they haven't filled future slots yet. There is a possibility of future seasons on the horizon!
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:26 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:

So far, yes, this feels too repetitive. Battle costumes are cute and I did like the shot out to the “Kobato” anime with Touya working at the pastry shop that Kobato worked at in episode 21. Having read some of the new manga before the anime began, I’ve long given up on Sakura having the ability to create her own cards (sadly). I hope there’s some solid reason as to why there needs to be new cards because, as it is now, it just seems like a ploy to sell more merchandise.
Cardcaptor Sakura is a formulaic magical girl series for little girls. I'm not sure how what the Clear Card arc is doing is somehow worse than what the Sakura Card arc did in the original series. The original series also reused the same jokes in every episode as well because again, Cardcaptor Sakura is a formulaic children's series. Also, Sakura did already create her own original cards in the original anime. That's what the whole Sakura Card thing was about. I feel like older fans approaching Cardcaptor Sakura with the expectation that we'll get some radical new complex storyline are setting themselves up for disappointment and should probably stick to reading X/1999 instead.

Quote:
Confirmed in the preview for episode 5 that spoiler[we're going to see filler content and, indeed, filler clear cards!] That said, it seems weird to start doing this stuff now when there are only 22 episodes planned. BUT... considering their current schedule, they haven't filled future slots yet. There is a possibility of future seasons on the horizon!
I just don't understand why there's so much fandom anxiety about the new series when the show has yet to do anything to warrant it. Nobody knows what's going to happen with the future of a new series, so all we can do is just sit back and relax and wait to see how it unfolds.
StarFan13

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:26 am Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
elior1 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
These first few episodes have been a great return, but also feel very repetitive of the original series (especially aqua). I'm looking forward to the plot finally really getting rolling, though it is a bit worrisome that it seems to be another case of a mysterious transfer student that will ultimately be the source of (or at least heavily tied to) these new events.

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know where it's headed and I'll watch it regardless, but if this primarily ends up feeling like a rehash of the original series, I'll end up being entertained, but ultimately disappointed.
i dont see how siege is repetitive since i dont know which card it feels like it replace

spoiler[Sakura Card arc:
>suddenly can't use cards
>cards are dying i need to save them!
>actually just gathering the same cards again
>mystery with the new character in the center

Clear Card arc:
>suddenly can't use cards
>cards are blank i need to save them!
>gathering supposedly new cards but it feels like the old cards all over again
>mystery with the new mysterious character

GALE is a more offensive version of WINDY
SIEGE is functionally similar to LOCK
AQUA is literally just WATERY but takes the form of a bird instead of a loli

Not really terribly excited about where the plot seems to be going with all these retread beats. Also, the card captures have been rather simple haven't they? You can sort of levy the same complaint against the Sakura Card since that one brought her back to square one but the side characters in Sakura Cards were much more interesting, you had Syaoran slowly falling for Sakura, Touya/Yukito romance and Kaho's introduction. Here it's just the same characters as before and a plot that isn't justifying the existence of a sequel.

Also, I prefer Clow Reed's magical harem to the faceless and boring Clear Cards.

]

Nice Image
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am Reply with quote
That spoiler[mystery character in Sakura's dreams] is a pretty good reason to stay tuned for this.
iatheia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I just don't understand why there's so much fandom anxiety about the new series when the show has yet to do anything to warrant it. Nobody knows what's going to happen with the future of a new series, so all we can do is just sit back and relax and wait to see how it unfolds.

Dunno how to put it, but I kind of get it. The new series is good, it is well produced, it is a faithful continuation of the original, but it's not as much emotionally griping as the old one was. I am actually rewatching the original as I speak, so I can not just be blinded by nostalgia. The first dozen of episodes or so were like this as well, they were nice, but that's pretty much all they were. But after that, nearly every episode did something to give us a better insight into the characters, to make us relate to them and feel for them.

So far outside of episode 1 in the new series, nothing much happened to make me invest into the characters more than I have been before, outside of flashes of set up that will not be resolved any time soon. The plot may be whatever, but when emotionally it just treads the same ground, it is a bit unsatisfying.

I guess I will continue to hope that since the original series took some time to warm up, this will as well. After all, they need to establish some of the status quo before they go around messing with it. Still though, they have significantly less time to do it this time around, so I'm just hoping it isn't going to end up being too little too late.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

I think it's because we've gotten so many poor reboots/sequels of old-time classics in the last few years (Sailor Moon Crystal, Digimon Tri, arguably Dragon Ball Super, even this season's Soul Hunter), people are on edge about it and worry that they won't be able to keep the magic of the original all the way through the end
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:37 pm Reply with quote
And speaking as a diehard Sailor Moon fan who had to put up with the major quality issues with Sailor Moon Crystal, I do feel like Cardcaptor Sakura fans don't have that much to complain about if the worst they have with the new series is that it's exactly the same as the old show which is kind of what a sequel is supposed to be?
elior1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
iatheia wrote:
Juno016 wrote:
Now, my only worry, is what this means for the extra content. If the new cards really ARE upgraded/converted forms of the older cards, will we actually get the filler episode cards from the first anime upgraded, too?

At the rate they are going, they will ran out of material rather quickly. There is, what, around 20 chapters available so far, and they are averaging 2-3 chapters per episode... So that may very well happen, unless they want to get so far ahead of the manga storyline that they end up being completely different.

actually some of the scences in the preview comes from chapter 9 of the manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:

On a personal level, I completely agree. I don't think the show has done anything inherently "wrong" yet, and with the amount of respect and quality I'm seeing from it, I'm genuinely excited to see it continue and have complete faith that it will satisfy me in the long run. I'm also an absolutely huge CLAMP fan and have been analyzing their works for over a decade on my own, so my exposure to their type of storytelling is probably putting a higher priority on how well they capture the mood here than how the story as a whole comes together (which I also don't see a huge issue with yet, especially considering it just started).

But as a huge CLAMP fan, I'm also aware of not only how they write, but how the audience has reacted to their works, too. A lot of their early works were very, very unique and definitely appealed to a younger audience intrigued by the mystical stories, magical atmosphere, and blatant charm emanating from the pages of their manga or the expanded versions of their stories on the television. Magic Knight Rayearth is less a fully-realized character+plot+message exploration and more or less a poetically condensed tragedy that inspires emotional attachment to its themes and initial characters than a realistic exploration of them (much like Shakespeare's works). This has changed in their writing over time, with new mysteries, crazy webs of information, and character connection (love, revenge, attachment) in its purest form being the driving forces of their latest works. And if there's anything I've noticed regarding Clear Card vs. the Clow Card and Sakura Card arcs, it's that CLAMP is treating the characters more like they're already fully realized (because they technically were), building on the mystery and plot more than the characters themselves.

But this is where I think the anime could step in. The original anime DID step in, pushing the characters into new situations, throwing in a lot more "HOEEE" and genuinely childish moments from Sakura and the other cast, exploring their feelings and characterization slightly different from the manga, but without straying from the basic characters they were meant to be. The biggest complaint I've seen of this new season has not been the genuine quality of the show or its faithfulness to the characters. Most people are still watching BECAUSE they really do like it. Still, it's lacking a lot of anime-introduced input to separate it from the manga. They ARE adding a lot of subtle, really awesome details into the daily lives of the characters that we haven't seen in the manga (the anime introduced the entire class, gave us a list of different subjects, and then proceeded to show us filler scenes of the characters attending said classes, and even did all of this fitting enough that I had to look back at my magazines to figure out what was filler content or not). But in terms of what the anime did before that it's not doing right now, we can point to exploring the characters from different angles and even pumping up the excitement or quickening the pace of the comedy. I'm really glad they're following the old anime canon. I'm not particularly in favor of the original anime over its absolutely beautiful manga counterpart, but it is fun to see what the anime did to differentiate itself without damaging the original manga's canon or atmosphere. I want to see this series challenge itself to do that again, but so far, even with the filler scenes and even slowing down the plot reveals, it feels like it's sticking too closely to the manga.

Which is why I'm excited for episode 5, which is almost 100% confirmed to involve a new, anime-only card. They'll finally have a chance to think of something unique without relying on what they can find in the manga.

And finally, just because I think it requires addressing, the second-most frequent complaint I've seen is the confusing people have over the bear exchange anime canon. Quite clearly, the Clear Card arc is a direct continuation of the end of the original anime, NOT the OVA's alternate manga-canon ending. And yet, in the first few episodes of Clear Card, Syaoran returns the pink bear from the OVA/manga to Sakura. In other words, both are... canon? Despite being alternate endings? In short, the staff are asking you to combine the two alternate endings together, at least as far as the bear is concerned. It's an awkward way of proceeding with the story when they could've: 1) treated the OVA as a replacement for the original anime's ending, or 2) reanimated the original anime's ending in the OVA, but with this new context added. That said, despite the weird choice, I honestly think there's a really good reason they absolutely HAD to introduce the bear again. We don't know the significance of the bear yet, but if Syaoran's unusual suggestion to give it back to Sakura to "be with its creator" is any indication, I think we're looking at a Chekhov's Gun scenario. That bear needed to exist so it could be given back to Sakura. I just think... they could've handled introducing it into the story a bit more gracefully (even though the OVA itself was absolutely gorgeous).

I ranted, but I think this helps put into perspective why people are complaining. For people like you and I, it's not a huge deal. We're all kinda frustrated at the saturated "reboot/sequel" culture as of late, but you and I are focused more on how these new works capture the feeling of respect towards the original series, whereas it's just as valid to criticize them for not exploring beyond that feeling, or for having a minimalist view on adapting the manga. Like I said, though, if the episode 5 preview is any indication, the wishes from those fans may finally be answered. Slow start, but it's exciting to see them try, especially now that our worries about quality and respect for the original series have been averted. Now I can only hope that other studios and creators see this example and the positive feedback it has gotten in comparison to the controversies within other new reboots/sequels, and then follow its example. SM Crystal and DB Super apparently have both learned a bit from their initial mistakes (or so I heard... I gave up on both of them a bit early). Digimon Tri, the one I AM caught up to, has not... *sigh*
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:23 pm Reply with quote
It's not about radically new storyline so much as it being just... you know, the same stuff again. Like this week we get... sigh say it with me "a mysterious transfer student who will be revealed to be involved in the card business". I get staying safe, but they could take a tiny bit more risk.

There's just plenty of aspect they could have changed without having to throw everything out. Would anyone have been dejected if Sakura wasn't capturing card and instead using the card she already has to fight some other kind of threat? You know, building on top of what happened previously instead of pressing a reset button.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 pm Reply with quote
At this point it is obvious Shaoran is hiding something. And about the new student maybe she is related to the strange person (or whatever is) in Sakura's dream.

I wonder what doeas Eriol is hiding. Maynbe reading the manga I can know more. I am really curious about what is happening about them.
Showsni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 am Reply with quote
I only with this last episode paid enough attention to the ending credits that I could see they were waiting for the day to change over from 31st March to 1st April which is, of course, Sakura's birthday... Probably obvious immediately if you could understand the Japanese writing in the end credits or understand the lyrics, I guess!
meruru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, it's such a nostalgia trip that I watch every episode with a big stupid grin. I love the new Kerochan ni Omakase segments especially, which are hilarious with the addition of Spinel Sun, and have many funny sporking moments. And they even went so far as to reuse the original background music! Besides the same art, voice actors, etc. The only part I'm a little disappointed by is the opening isn't as good as Platinum, but that's probably setting expectations too high.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:01 pm Reply with quote
CCS never had complicated fight, but this episode was barely anything. She only siege and even that was ultimately pointless, apparently all she needed to do was ask the card to stop and it did, not really involved.

I'm glad gravity is a new card, but since it's filler I doubt well see much of it in the future.
#Vlad_N

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
I'm glad gravity is a new card, but since it's filler I doubt well see much of it in the future.

Well, in the first anime, they managed to include filler cards in canon events; for example, in the Erase episode, Sakura used the Float card while in the manga they used Syaoran magic powers... Or perhaps we'll see the card being used in other filler episodes, who knows
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11