• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - DARLING in the FRANXX Has Only One Thing on its Mind

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soval

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:47 pm Reply with quote
From the article:
Quote:
For a show so laden with double entendres, FRANXX seems really unconcerned with actual sex. Despite the awkward-ass cockpit arrangements, the show doesn't seem to give a shit about how the characters feel about each other's bodies. There's some subtle love polygon dynamics in play, but otherwise FRANXX is weirdly chaste in terms of interactions outside the robots. The characters have no idea what kissing is, and their partnerships are government-enforced; the end result is this horrible imitation of sexuality that only exists when piloting the FRANXX. Visually, however, it's a fuckin' field day with boobs and girl crotches everywhere. Franxxly, that disconnect is what puts me off most of these first three episodes.

That describes 99% of fanservice in anime. It's entirely about titillation, and there are zero consequences for the story or characters. Rather than being driven by intimacy or physical desire, erotic events play out in ways that are convenient for the audience to get aroused. Sexual things happen by accident and bodies (usually of the female variety) are exposed frequently and often randomly with little reason or impact. And nobody actually has sex, or anything remotely close to it.

That's why fanservice anime gets such a bad rap, because most of the time, it's just empty. I don't know if FRANXX can rise above the low bar most ecchi series set, but we need more series that can.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Mojave wrote:

As someone who has used the term academically, that is what it means.

Similarly to how you don't represent ANN's readers, you don't represent academia.

Last edited by 鏡 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:50 pm Reply with quote
I might not have been clear in my previous postings, especially since I likely made a mistake in commenting on the object-level issue here. We're at the end of the line. The discussion about heteronormativity is done.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Nothing worse than writing out a lengthy ass response, then checking the thread for further replies and seeing multiple rather... firm mod warnings to drop the subject. Alas. That said, both the writers for this This Week in Anime have responded, so I'll just say if you missed their posts in the rush of this thread, go back to the previous page. Worth reading.

Wonder what the next This Week in Anime will cover. Very Happy
Realquick

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:16 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I might not have been clear in my previous postings, especially since I likely made a mistake in commenting on the object-level issue here. We're at the end of the line. The discussion about heteronormativity is done.
What about the argument for other sexualities, races, and genders?
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:19 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Nothing worse than writing out a lengthy ass response, then checking the thread for further replies and seeing multiple rather... firm mod warnings to drop the subject. Alas. That said, both the writers for this This Week in Anime have responded, so I'll just say if you missed their posts in the rush of this thread, go back to the previous page. Worth reading.

Sorry, the thread was moving quickly.

Realquick wrote:
Galap wrote:

Don't be a pedant, dude.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:25 am Reply with quote
Wtv wrote:
The way female characters are portrayed now is offensive, yeah, but that might be intentional, as Agent355 pointed. I just can't believe the authors are serious about that. How can you criticize something and use it as a selling point at the same time? I think that fact alone is enough to make people believe the authors don't have the capacity to work with the theme here.
I think the show is going to say something about gender roles. That is why Zero Two was introduced in the first episode and why she can control the FRANXX, that is why in the second episode they wanted the audience to feel bad for Ichigo, and that is why in all three episodes there has been signs that this world is controlled by a dystopian government. A show can be ecchi and say something about gender roles. I think this show will make feminist statements and it simply will be from a non-western perspective.
Ronie Peter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:30 am Reply with quote
Seriously, this conversation between the two was a bunch of nonsense from the middle to the end. Is this the dissertation? Dull joke with no solid analysis? Ridiculous. This section of ANN has been worth something before. I hope they improve these conversations in Chat, people will read expecting something with logic.
Mojave

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:02 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
Wtv wrote:
The way female characters are portrayed now is offensive, yeah, but that might be intentional, as Agent355 pointed. I just can't believe the authors are serious about that. How can you criticize something and use it as a selling point at the same time? I think that fact alone is enough to make people believe the authors don't have the capacity to work with the theme here.
I think the show is going to say something about gender roles. That is why Zero Two was introduced in the first episode and why she can control the FRANXX, that is why in the second episode they wanted the audience to feel bad for Ichigo, and that is why in all three episodes there has been signs that this world is controlled by a dystopian government. A show can be ecchi and say something about gender roles. I think this show will make feminist statements and it simply will be from a non-western perspective.

I'm also really curious to see what statements they have to make with 002. They obviously have something to say with her, but we don't know yet what quite what that is.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:11 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
Trigger aren't present in Darling in the Franxx's production committee, they aren't involved in any decisions regarding the series' story, and they don't even animate it. They're only responsible for direction and animation in mecha fights, which means so far they're responsible for maybe four-five minutes of the series' current one-hour run time.

In other words, this isn't a Trigger show. If this is a Trigger show, then I'm the freaking creator of Final Fantasy on the grounds of having edited a couple localization scripts.

You're mostly right, but they have slightly more influence than you give them credit for. Studios are made up of people and regardless of where those people are working, their influence remains the same. Many Trigger regulars have already worked on this show through the first 3 episodes, and will continue to, throughout the rest of the production, even on other, technically, A-1 episodes. Anyway, Trigger, as a studio, will also be animating parts of this series in-house. Their first full episode is the next one, #04. It will be animated and directed by almost the exact crew who gave us the 17th episode of LWA.
So, while it is misleading to call this a Trigger series, it is also misleading to downplay Trigger's contribution to simply Imaishi's role as the action supervisor. They have a much greater role than that. As I've said elsewhere, the truly most accurate way to describe this series is as a Gainax show. Nearly everyone on the production team worked at Gainax for a good bit of time through the mid-2000s and picked up much of their influence there.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:55 am Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
A show can be ecchi and say something about gender roles.

The most interesting thing about Darling in the Franxx, at least to me, is that historically it's been incredibly hard to predict whether any given "ecchi social commentary" show is going to find a lasting audience. The mix of fanservice and metaphor tends to make a lot of waves when the show first comes out, but once the creators tip their hand and reveal what statements they're trying to make, it's anyone's guess as to whether people are still going to be talking about the show a year later.

Sure, Kill la Kill is still popular (and will be so long as people can still stumble across it on Netflix), and Simoun has retained its cult status despite anime having moved far beyond the point where the show would be considered salacious... but when's the last time you heard anyone talk about Brain Powerd's weird sexual vibe, or World Conquest Zvezda Plot's mixture of social justice and loli fanservice?

Even though I don't plan on keeping up with the show as it airs, I'm looking forward to checking back in a couple seasons and seeing whether Darling in the Franxx ended up resonating with people in a sustainable way.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ashabel wrote:
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder what things are Trigger planning to do with Hiro to see if he can team up with 02

Nothing. They are planning nothing because they're not on the production committee and don't have a say in the show's story. At all. In fact, there is a convenience store chain in Japan who have more of say in DarliFra's story than Trigger do.

I feel like you stumbled onto some really cool information and then unfortunately applied it much too narrowly and with zero nuance. Not being on the Production Committee is the default status for most Animation Studios. That doesn't mean they have no control over how the show is written, adapted, or otherwise realized.
At this point, it's impossible to know who's creative mind is truly behind the project, and it is something we will likely never know until there are interviews out that explicitly tell us.
The way anime writing usually works is multiple people get together and collaborate(In this case, probably a bunch of old friends from Gainax! Some of whom work at Trigger, some who happen to usually work at A-1).
Even though you have a single person credited as scriptwriter or series composition, don't make the mistake of thinking they are the only ones putting forward ideas. A lot of the time, they actually come up with the fewest, while the director, producers, and other staff members collaborate on what they want to do. This is notoriously the case in a lot of Gainax and Trigger work, especially.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:15 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Mad_Scientist wrote:

Sorry, the thread was moving quickly.

Realquick wrote:
Galap wrote:

Don't be a pedant, dude.

For future record, when you tell people to stop having a discussion, if you want them to listen, it helps to not try to get the last word in as a mod. Literally in your post telling people to stop discussing it, you continued to discussing it. I completely agree with you and the writers on this topic (and urge everyone else who doesn't get it to use Google), but that's not how you end a discussion.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:21 am Reply with quote
Kill la Kill was full of sexual tropes, rape, incest and yet it delivered in spades. It was a 100% fanservice show. Trigger and A-1 are doing an anime with Darling in the franxx that in spirit mimics KLK. It's a guilty pleasure of them and of us the audience. Bouncing boobs, round female asses, sexy poses and who knows what else. Twisted Evil
It will be one hell of ride just like Cross Ange was (and boy did that show receive epic tons of insult lol). Anime doesn't have to be serious. If you're looking for seriousness you're in the wrong hobby or just watch the epitome of boring anime : KyoAni's latest show.
kgw

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:42 am Reply with quote
I am sad nobody remembers anymore the other fanservice mecha show: Daimidaler. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10