• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Super Lovers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:26 am Reply with quote
Terrible90sDub wrote:

Also, I read this whole thread and I don't think anyone has actually had anything good to say about Super Lovers yet despite the arguments? Laughing

I mean If you did read the whole thread...tell me how the atmosphere in it actually favor such arguments? The main person doing the review throws everyone liking it under the bus automatically favoring people who trash it.

I can add some things to what positivity I tried to say early on. Yes it's a kink type of manga. But I think it does well what it aims to achieve. The teasing is good. The whole character dynamic is fun. Ren is cute and the whole main reason why I'm personally reading/watching it. I like season 2 a little more since it changes perspective from the PoV of Haru to the PoV of Ren. It really great to see him grow as a person. But yes the subject this series uses is some kind of taboo and yes it's one of the reason why I enjoy reading/watching it.

If people want some series that actually face a gay relationship more realisticaly I highly suggest Love Storie by Tagura Tohru and Qualia under the snow by Kanna kii. And if you happen to really like the latter I highly suggest checking out her other work. L'étranger de la plage. These are my favortie works. Now if only some NA publisher could actually be competent with their releases.

Also Bokura no negai is really really great. Man I wish some of those got adapted....
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
I didn't say that Prism Illya didn't have other things going for it. I explicitly said the opposite. What I said was that one of Prisma Illya main selling point was the lolicon fanservice. Which it is.

Just because the lolicon fanservice is justified in Universe does not make it not lolicon fanservice. Mana transfers don't really exist. That plot point was added principally to give a reason for two twelve year old girls to have extended make out sessions.

And saying that most of the lolicon stuff is contained in the OVAs is patently false. It's most explicit in the OVAs buy is intimately woven into nearly every aspect of the show. The manga has moved more and more away from it as it's popularity has increased but its still there and the anime has made it a fundamental part of it's idenity.

Mana transfers were literally in the original Visual Novel, and they were never made non canon especially since Prisma Illya is considered a canon part of the Nasuverse (Even Grand Order acknowledges it). Hell even in Apocrypha the whole aspect of manga transfer through bodily fluid DOES exist. It was not created for prisma whatsoever, since in the manga the "Make out" sessions are usually one panel things that are played more for laughs. It's the anime that went and turned it full blown fanservice.

Last edited by Catsplay on Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:

I mean If you did read the whole thread...tell me how the atmosphere in it actually favor such arguments? The main person doing the review throws everyone liking it under the bus automatically favoring people who trash it.

I meant that quite a lot of people were not pleased with the review, but I wasn't even sure if they had even seen Super Lovers since people weren't talking about the anime itself. Without information like that, it looks like people are just objecting to the idea of negative reviews or because they feel like their kink is under attack when it isn't. Your next few paragraphs are useful here though, thank you.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:54 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Seif wrote:
Come on guys. I've seen every bit of Prisma Illya anime put out and those of you getting super defensive are being silly. Of course there are many people that come for the juicy Fate lore and badass fights but it's absurd to pretend like the lolicon trait isn't one of the main selling points of the show.

I'm also going to disagree here. I enjoy the the Prisma Illya side of the franchise despite the loli stuff, which I'd happily do without; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Western fans who actually watch it primarily for the loli side are a small minority of the series' fans. It's got plenty enough spectacular action and compelling characters and plot to hold appeal without that side of it.

Concerning Keijo!!!!!!!!, Paul wasn't the only ANN staffer rating it highly that season; it was my #1 pick and someone else's #2 also.

I agree with you mostly outside there aren't many western loli fans (Which there is, you have no idea haha) watching the series. I LIKE the loli fanservice in Prisma because I believe it deserves to exist and I love the characters, just as much as fanservice in like Monogatari deserves to exist. It's part of it's identity through characters like Kuro and Ruby existing and pushing for stuff like that to happen. The series is good enough for a lot of people to look past the loli stuff and only focus on the deeper Fate stuff though which is part of it's strength. The fanservice most likely won't go anywhere (at least in the anime), but the current arc in the manga has been focused entirely on the main plot and action.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:57 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:
Key wrote:

I enjoy the the Prisma Illya side of the franchise despite the loli stuff, which I'd happily do without

I completely agree.

Key wrote:
It's got plenty enough spectacular action and compelling characters and plot to hold appeal without that side of it.

I mostly agree.

I'd be willing to bet that the average western fan would much prefer it without the lolicon stuff. I know I would.

None of these things change the fact that Prisma Illya is marketed with lolicon fanservice, is made with extensive lolicon fanservice, and is widely known for its explicit lolicon fanservice.

When the average anime fan thinks of Prisma Illya they don't think "Oh, that's the show with the awesome fights." They think of Kuro and Illya making out. Because that's the bed the show's chosen to make. Getting upset at someone for labeling it as a lolicon fanservice show as if it's an unreasonable conclusion to come to is both silly and unfair.

I'll agree with you that the loli fanservice is part of the series identity (It's one of the aspects I love about it since Kuro is my all time waifu with Illya a close second) but completely labeling it as a lolicon show as the opposite of Super Lovers was a bit ridiculous. At it's core it's a Fate series, one that gets progressively darker and starts resembling the original Visual Novel source material. It just happens to have loli fanservice. Going to use Monogatari as an example here since it has a shit ton of loli and underage fanservice but it's not labled a "Lolicon" series by anyone either.
portgas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:58 am Reply with quote
Not this again! This is fiction. The "moral superiority" demonstrated is joke considering what people say they watch.

The real problem with Super Lovers is that it's boring with meh animation.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:13 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
Catsplay wrote:
Did they seriously stop it? I was waiting to buy the physical copies and I was excited it met it's goals. What happened?

Not confirmed but there hasn't been any movement on the kickstarter in quite sometime and DMP refuses to comment on why they're being silent. Numerous other DMP kickstarters have received similar "delayed" updates. Rumor is the company is going under.

This is really disappointing to hear. It's like the series is cursed to never be officially brought over. As a huge loli fan this is depressing haha.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:29 pm Reply with quote
^DMP is like this, though. Every Kickstarter they've ever run has always been plagued with issues and receipt of the pledged items has always been delayed...sometimes months, and in Kimagure Orange Road's case, a year. As for them going under, while I find the move to a new office and lack of YaoiCon this year odd, there's no proof to indicate that this is what's happening.

Basically, DMP has always had issues.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
Yep, Gabbo mentioned Prism Illya in this VERY REVIEW. She even now has several Prism Illya fans in this thread upset that she dared to compare it to Super Lovers and besmirch it's good name.
I would defend about 95% of Prisma Ilya but unfortunately it is partly a fanservice show. The Fate franchise has issues but one thing it has always done well is making complex characters that you empathize with due to the struggles that they face. I understand why some people dislike Prisma Ilya but it is not equivalent to Super Lovers.
Łukasz Kawosz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
I would defend about 95% of Prisma Ilya but unfortunately it is partly a fanservice show.

Prisma Ilya does fanservice for laughs or as subversion to various tropes and Fate series itself.
Super Brothers does sexualization of a minor with a straight face, with zero pretense. It wants to take itself seriously passing it off as something normal.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:49 pm Reply with quote
In the end it all comes down to what people are actually bothered by right? Elementary school girls in sexual a context might be that and a relation between a 21 and 14 years old might be ok. Or just that fact that it's 2 boys, it might actually be too much since anime people are probably more accustomed to underage girl in questionable situation since they are just more common.

Throwing shades at each other is getting silly people. To a general public we all like questonable content. One is not more defendable then the other. Super lovers or Prisma. This conversation leads nowhere.
Catsplay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:01 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
In the end it all comes down to what people are actually bothered by right? Elementary school girls in sexual a context might be that and a relation between a 21 and 14 years old might be ok. Or just that fact that it's 2 boys, it might actually be too much since anime people are probably more accustomed to underage girl in questionable situation since they are just more common.

Throwing shades at each other is getting silly people. To a general public we all like questonable content. One is not more defendable then the other. Super lovers or Prisma. This conversation leads nowhere.

While I I agree no one should be throwing shade at the other, Prisma still isn't anywhere near the same category Super Lovers is which is why some people are complaining about the comparison. The entire boylove aspect for Super Lovers is literally the main premise. The fanservice in Prisma Illya is a side thing that decreases as the series goes on.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:03 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
In the end it all comes down to what people are actually bothered by right?
The issue with Super Lovers that it is a show that sells itself on the idea of child grooming. That is a very specific fetish and it is not subtle about it since they even advertise that in the promotional art. That is why comparing a show to Super Lovers is usually meant as an insult and that is how it was used in the article.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Chrono1000 wrote:
The issue with Super Lovers that it is a show that sells itself on the idea of child grooming. That is a very specific fetish and it is not subtle about it since they even advertise that in the promotional art. That is why comparing a show to Super Lovers is usually meant as an insult and that is how it was used in the article.

I mean that's what I said. You are bothered by Super Lovers because you dislike the main relationship and see it has grooming, but you aren't bothered by the sexualized 10 years old in Prisma. So you are ok with Prisma but not SL. Gabriella dislikes both. I would say I find the relationship between Haru and Ren ok, but I wouldn't watch a show with sexualized 10 years old girls.

We are all different. Bothered by different things. So yea. This topic will ruffle feathers no matter what is said.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:13 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
I mean that's what I said. You are bothered by Super Lovers because you dislike the main relationship and see it has grooming, but you aren't bothered by the sexualized 10 years old in Prisma. So you are ok with Prisma but not SL.
I have already said in this thread that I wish there was less fanservice in Prisma Illya but at least the fanservice in the show is between people of the same age and is a secondary element. Super Lovers has child grooming as the premise and starts with someone who is twice as old (16 vs 8). I am not trying to sling mud at the show you like but I simply don't think it is fair to compare the two shows.

GoldCrusader wrote:
Gabriella dislikes both.
It is a bit unclear if she has watched the first season of Prisma Illya since she mentioned in the review that she puts these shows in the ignore bin. When the first season of Prisma Illya was reviewed on Shelf Life by a different person back in 2014 it was rated as a rental.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7